FM3 - Horrible Noise when changing scenes - Question on how to prevent it

Most often, this is due to "unusual" settings in your preset.

For example, in the first preset, amp level is at -12 dB and Scene level is at +0.
In a new scene, the amp level is set to -32dB and the scene level is set to +20 db.
Even a small spillover can create a loud burst in a case like this.

If you can find a case where it is reproducible, you can study it to figure out what's happening.
Thanks, I will check this out and see if it is the case in the preset that caused the issue yesterday. Then pay attention if it happens again on another preset to see if there is a pattern, as you are suggesting.

Most often, this is due to "unusual" settings in your preset.

For example, in the first preset, amp level is at -12 dB and Scene level is at +0.
In a new scene, the amp level is set to -32dB and the scene level is set to +20 db.
Even a small spillover can create a loud burst in a case like this.

If you can find a case where it is reproducible, you can study it to figure out what's happening.
I just checked and the amp level for both amps is -12.0 db. I don't know where to look for the scene level.

Here is the preset. The issue was when I went from scene 1 to scene 2

Attachments

• Div13 Amp Preset.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
I just checked and the amp level for both amps is -12.0 db. I don't know where to look for the scene level.
That Amp 'Level' parameter is pretty arbitrary. So many other parameters in the Amp block can affect it's overall output level, Gain, Master Volume, Boost/Boost Level, Variac, Input/Output EQ, the Dynamics Tab, etc..

Depending on the Amp model and the parameter values, You may need to set the 'Level' in each channel much different to achieve a similar relative volume.

Also, there are a lot of blocks changing channels even though they are bypassed. Not sure of the intent, but that can cause issues from time to time. And the Drive block after the Amp/Cab is puzzling.

Last edited:
See this example.

BTW, I wasn't getting any 'horrible noise' between scenes 1 and 2. Just a volume difference.

Attachments

• Div13 Amp Preset (edit).syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
Here is the preset. The issue was when I went from scene 1 to scene 2
I spent a few minutes bouncing back and forth between Scene 1 and Scene 2. Nothing unusual so far. How often do you get the noise?

I spent a few minutes bouncing back and forth between Scene 1 and Scene 2. Nothing unusual so far. How often do you get the noise?
Only once on that particular preset. It has happened a few other time on other presets. But I didn't document which ones. If it happens again I will be sure to document it.

That Amp 'Level' parameter is pretty arbitrary. So many other parameters in the Amp block can affect it's overall output level, Gain, Master Volume, Boost/Boost Level, Variac, Input/Output EQ, the Dynamics Tab, etc..

Depending on the Amp model and the parameter values, You may need to set the 'Level' in each channel much different to achieve a similar relative volume.

Also, there are a lot of blocks changing channels even though they are bypassed. Not sure of the intent, but that can cause issues from time to time. And the Drive block after the Amp/Cab is puzzling.
Hmm, interesting. Are you saying that, for example, if I have a Comp, Drive, Filter, ... and the Comp is on Channel 1, the Drive is on Channel 4, and the Filter is on Channel 2, that this could cause an issue? That is something I hadn't heard.
As to the Drive block after the Amp/Cab, it was just experimental. This isn't a preset that I would say is dialed in, it is just one I created to test out the Divided by 13 amps.
All of that being said, I like to add lots of blocks to presets, and turn them on and off in various combinations while playing to test for different sounds. Lately due to that my FM3 is showing it's limitations for my purposes. I am constantly running out of CPU.
Not to open up that can of worms, but I am waiting for the next major AXE to upgrade to that. I can wait for now as other than running out of CPU, I am very happy with the FM3.
Thanks for the help!

Hmm, interesting. Are you saying that, for example, if I have a Comp, Drive, Filter, ... and the Comp is on Channel 1, the Drive is on Channel 4, and the Filter is on Channel 2, that this could cause an issue? That is something I hadn't heard.
As to the Drive block after the Amp/Cab, it was just experimental. This isn't a preset that I would say is dialed in, it is just one I created to test out the Divided by 13 amps.
All of that being said, I like to add lots of blocks to presets, and turn them on and off in various combinations while playing to test for different sounds. Lately due to that my FM3 is showing it's limitations for my purposes. I am constantly running out of CPU.
Not to open up that can of worms, but I am waiting for the next major AXE to upgrade to that. I can wait for now as other than running out of CPU, I am very happy with the FM3.
Thanks for the help!
No, not at all. I said "there are a lot of blocks changing channels (in various scenes) even though they are bypassed (in those various scenes)."

In theory, it shouldn't matter, but having multiple 'bypassed' blocks changing channels in various scenes is just not necessary, and can possibly cause clicks, pops, and other audio anomalies, especially anything that produces 'tails', like Delays and Reverbs.

No, not at all. I said "there are a lot of blocks changing channels (in various scenes) even though they are bypassed (in those various scenes)."

In theory, it shouldn't matter, but having multiple 'bypassed' blocks changing channels in various scenes is just not necessary, and can possibly cause clicks, pops, and other audio anomalies, especially anything that produces 'tails', like Delays and Reverbs.
So would it make sense to have more bypassed blocks maybe when creating or dialing in a preset, but paring it down to just what is "needed" for the desired sounds for the preset that persists? So less blocks in the end result, but some would be active and some bypassed depending on the goal of each scene within the preset? Hopefully what I am saying makes sense, and thanks for your help.

So would it make sense to have more bypassed blocks maybe when creating or dialing in a preset, but paring it down to just what is "needed" for the desired sounds for the preset that persists? So less blocks in the end result, but some would be active and some bypassed depending on the goal of each scene within the preset? Hopefully what I am saying makes sense, and thanks for your help.
@Moke is saying that you have unused (bypassed) blocks changing channels between scenes. Because those blocks are bypassed, they don’t contribute to the sound, and making changes to them is wasted effort. This may or may not be contributing to the noise issue.

@Moke is saying that you have unused (bypassed) blocks changing channels between scenes. Because those blocks are bypassed, they don’t contribute to the sound, and making changes to them is wasted effort. This may or may not be contributing to the noise issue.
So you are saying, for example, Drive Block (Scene 1) is on Channel 2, Drive Block (Scene 2) is on Channel 4; in both cases the blocks are bypassed. In that case it is wasted effort as it contributes nothing to the sound? If so, makes sense and I will work through my created presets to correct this. Can't hurt to be more pared down and efficient. In all cases, IMHO, simplicity and efficiency are desireable.

So you are saying, for example, Drive Block (Scene 1) is on Channel 2, Drive Block (Scene 2) is on Channel 4; in both cases the blocks are bypassed. In that case it is wasted effort as it contributes nothing to the sound? If so, makes sense and I will work through my created presets to correct this. Can't hurt to be more pared down and efficient. In all cases, IMHO, simplicity and efficiency are desireable.
Yes.

Back
Top Bottom