FM3 headphones jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL $1399.99 for the limited "Gig Pro Edition" FM3 :)

Now you’re cooking with gas…

It’s called value priced marketing. How in the hell do you think all those luxury brands get sold at ridiculous prices. LOL!

(Although I’m guilty and one of those fools, so I’m speaking from experience.)

I see it like this... get it sooner and save some money. Then buy a Hosa YPP-136 1/4" TRSF to Dual 1/4" TS Stereo Breakout Cable and you're still ahead.
Depends on the impedance and sensitivity of your headphones. You'll need something like the HD650 or DT770 250ohm to plug in straight into a 600ohm line output. If you use lower impedance headphones you won't be getting a lot of output and you'll need a headphone amplifier.

Agreed 100%. But, it is a valid concern/point of contention for many of us. Even those who have waited patiently on the sidelines and defended FAS for the constant "soon" and "bug squashing" have definitely been let down and if you read selected forum members on here you can see a tone change from hopeful/enthusiastic/elated to now subtle discontent... An explanation should be put forth.. I'm not gonna say it is "owed" either, because I'm sure Cliff is beyond frustrated and feels like he can't win either way.. Sh!t happens.. FAS still has industry wide respect and support and will continue to recruit new fans and innovate, but this has not helped in that endeavor.. At least on the face of it, or within the social media/forum community...
it's still an exaggerated example, even if out of frustration.

next you know all other forums say "i saw you need to spend $100 just to make headphones work!" which isn't true at all. but someone saw it, so it's proof and real.

Units from the first production run of FM3 have no headphones jack or circuitry. These units are functionally identical in every other way to later production units with a headphones jack (expected April, 2020). To reduce the wait for the many customers who don't care about this feature, we decided to offer these units at a reduced price rather than partially scrapping them ($949 vs 999). There would be no way to upgrade.

The positive take on this is that those who don't want this feature can get a unit sooner; those who do want this feature will have fewer people in line in front of them.

Matt, is there any clarification as to why these don't have a headphone jack? I was under the impression since the first announcement of the FM3 that it had one. Also, how many units don't have it?

it's still an exaggerated example, even if out of frustration.

next you know all other forums say "i saw you need to spend $100 just to make headphones work!" which isn't true at all. but someone saw it, so it's proof and real.
Welcome to the world we live in.. Nobody reads "below the fold" (real newspaper tangible reference) or reads past a sarcastic meme, talking point, sound bite, etc etc.. Then again, if I'm spending $1000 for high quality/high fidelity audio modeling/reproduction I don't want to taint that experience with a $4.45 Y-cable or a $20 cheap/noisy headphone amp from Amazon. To use a car reference as above, I'm not gonna use E85 or ethanol tainted, low octane fuel in my Porsche Taycan. ;) ;):eek::rolleyes::cool:

I see it like this...Those that don't need a head phone jack will get there's sooner and those like me that do will gladly move aside and wait for a unit that has one. Win Win for all.

Those people who were early on the list and want a headphone jack fully expected the headphone jack version this time around. To now have to wait at a minimum until April (probably longer) to get what they want and expected in this run while others in the list move ahead of them. I don't think that's a win for them at all. It's a big loss.

how would you do the monitoring?

honest question... I’m not very versed in recording. With my 11r I would connected the phone’s directly to the device
you connect headphones or speakers to the Outputs with a y-cable that's being discussed. i don't understand the statement "maybe it could work with some headphones" but then also not working as an interface if the problem is no headphones.

just trying to understand what you said is all.

Those people who were early on the list and want a headphone jack fully expected the headphone jack version this time around. To now have to wait at a minimum until April (probably longer) to get what they want and expected in this run while others in the list move ahead of them. I don't think that's a win for them at all. It's a big loss.
Agreed. There seems to be a lot of minimizing coming from those people who don't need a headphone jack.
So maybe put yourself in the shoes of someone who does?
How would you look at this if it had a feature you DID need, and were promised, just unable to purchase it in the unit until a later date? Especially since that information has been known for 5-6 months?
If this unit didn't have an XLR out, or maybe the modeling wasn't up to AXE3 levels?
For some folks, the lack of a headphone out in the AX8 was it's worst feature. The promise of a better unit that finally included a headphone jack is what kept them from buying something else for the past 10 months.
The bottom line is that they are trying to sell a different product than the one they've promised folks since last April.

Last edited:
I see it like this...Those that don't need a head phone jack will get there's sooner and those like me that do will gladly move aside and wait for a unit that has one. Win Win for all.

I appreciate your good attitude but tbh this is beyond frustrating. I expected a headphone jack since the day it was announced. The original announcement back in April of last year specified that there was a headphone jack on the unit. How could there be units without it? Did someone screw up??

You know, there was frustration with the release delays… all the teasing in the forums that it's just about done... for months and months.. 'any day now'. I tried to keep positive through all the negativity being spouted in the forums. Then finally there's a light at the end of the tunnel - shipping has commenced!! So exciting!!! Then this news gets dropped... I'm almost at a loss for words. It is what it is at this point but the communication could have been MUCH better. The fact that the first units going out would not have this feature should have been made clear a long time ago. Especially as the unit was announced as having it in the first place!!

(probably longer)
Possibly, maybe, you could look at things in a little more positive way and spread a little sunshine instead.
Did you already receive an invitation you had to turn down?
Are you in line to get an invitation BEFORE April? (No one knows that since we do not know the invitation rate)
In any case, without wanting to be antagonistic, your continued defeatism is getting long in the tooth, and it's only been 2 days since the opening of the shipping notifications.
Please.
You, and we, will feel better if you "look at the bright side of life".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom