FM3 General Discussion Thread

The manual makes it clear that the FM3 can't be MIDI-controlled over USB, but would it be possible to control it from a DAW using a USB-to-MIDI converter (such as MIDIsport 2x2) and the MIDI In port on the unit?
Where does it say that?

The manual makes it clear that the FM3 can't be MIDI-controlled over USB, but would it be possible to control it from a DAW using a USB-to-MIDI converter (such as MIDIsport 2x2) and the MIDI In port on the unit?

Probably not from the USB-A port, but if you have it visible as a midi device in your DAW, a usb controller plugged into the computer can send CCs to it, you have to use up the 16 controllers though to assign stuff. That's how it works on AFX3, if they deliberately disconnected USB midi in the FM3 I would be thoroughly confused

It actually contradicts itself. It says on a few occasions that FM3 is not a midi device and won't be listed as such in your DAW but on the other hand it says that it can be controlled via midi over USB.(page 97)
Those aren’t opposite statements.

Let me clarify. MIDI over USB is used for Fractal-Bot and FM3-Edit, but the FM3 does not appear amongst the MIDI devices on your computer. For the purpose of preset changes, cc messages, tempo, etc, it can definitely be controlled by a 3rd party MIDI device or MIDI interface, such as a MIDI Sport.

Let me clarify. MIDI over USB is used for Fractal-Bot and FM3-Edit, but the FM3 does not appear amongst the MIDI devices on your computer. For the purpose of preset changes, cc messages, tempo, etc, it can definitely be controlled by a 3rd party MIDI device or MIDI interface, such as a MIDI Sport.

But not through USB, right? That’s what was unclear I believe.

Does it transmit/receive sysex messages on the DIN ports instead?

I think the AX8 waitlist might come first?

Yes the AX8 list comes first. Hopefully there are enough to satisfy the AX8 users and the first couple hours of FM3 waitlisters. Guess we'll know for sure tomorrow! and yes, I will be disappointed if I don't make the cut. but such is life.

No that would be different - But you are right by the way - The Blocks Guide also state that FM3 loads only two IRs on each channel - But I think that was even shown in the videos from Amp Fest

yes, also there are a few parameters (according to the manual) not there , the "smoothing" is AXE3 only

Yes the AX8 list comes first. Hopefully there are enough to satisfy the AX8 users and the first couple hours of FM3 waitlisters. Guess we'll know for sure tomorrow! and yes, I will be disappointed if I don't make the cut. but such is life.

I have no idea and I'm just 100% speculating, but i don't think they probably have ANY units full loaded with firmware and packed in boxes at this moment, since it seems that they just finished off the firmware. My guess is that they put out a certain number of orders invites each day, THEN start to load firmware & pack, then and ship as they get the orders in. In that case, even if they have 1000 units on hand right now (hopefully more), it'll take them weeks to get through all of them to ship. But as long as they start the process, the wait becomes a lot easier. :)

Back
Top Bottom