FM3 Firmware Version 8.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like christmas :-D What I don't understand... do I have to do something now so that the factory presets and the individual presets are adjusted or does this happen automatically? ...apart from the "upgrade all presets" function...?
I ran “upgrade all presets”, which pulled in the changes, then checked them for level changes and then maybe made minor adjustments to the tone controls.

I found that some of the amps sounded a little different. Cliff said that the new settings are based on different/better measurements so I attributed the difference to that; the amps are more accurate, so I wanted to recalibrate my expectations. I played using a couple different guitars and rolled their volumes to see how the amps reacted, and found some amps I’d kinda liked before that I really like now: The Bludojai Clean and Lead, and the FAS Express, are way up on my list now. I’ll give them more time and maybe change the cabs to Dyna-Cabs.

PS - I have to amend the process I used. I looked through my beta-testing notes and used "upgrade all presets" to enable the gapless switching followed by performing a soft-reset of all the presets. Soft-reset keeps the tone-control settings in the amp block, unlike a hard-reset which returns everything to the firmware's defaults.

The FX3 and FM9 will automatically load the Cygnus X-3 changes to the Amp block when switching to a preset. The FM3 doesn't do that so we have to initiate it, and the easiest/fastest way is by letting FM3-Edit do it through the Preset Manager. Select the presets you want to process and right-click and choose "Reset Amp Blocks". Read the Wiki's Reset the amp section in the Amp block page or look in the manual if you need more information.

And, like always, use Fractal-Bot, either the embedded version in Edit, or the standalone, to back-up the unit prior to updating the presets so you have a safety net available.

Last edited:
FM3 Firmware Version 8.00 beta 1 is available:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/8p0/fm3_dsp_rel_8p00_beta_1.zip

A new version of FM3-Edit is required:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-06-08-to-support-fw-8-00-public-beta.203658/

Release Notes:

Gapless Preset/Scene/Channel Switching​

A new parameter SETUP > Global Settings > Config > Gapless Changes has three settings: Off, Channel & Scene, and “All” (Preset, Scene, Channel). Note that channel switching speed has been improved in general even with this setting turned off. For preset changes to use the new gapless switching, two conditions must be met:

• Setup > Global Settings > Config > Spillover must be set to “ALL”
  • Your presets must be saved under firmware 8.x or newer. You can do this manually in any of the usual ways or use the automatic utility in: SETUP > Utilities > Preset > Upgrade All Presets.
    IMPORTANT: Saving a preset under 8.x makes it incompatible with previous firmware versions!
    Use Fractal-Bot to make a backup first in case you ever revert to an older firmware. Make backups!

NEW CYGNUS X-3 AMP MODELING​

Cygnus X-3 is the latest amp modeling technology for Axe-Fx III, FM9, and FM3. It improves the sound, feel, and accuracy of the models, making them closer to their real world counterparts, with more rumble and bite and other nasty things that tube amps do.
  • Nearly all amps have been “remastered” using new measurement techniques and analytical methods.
  • Existing presets are NOT altered. A hard or soft reset will load the updated values.
  • Improved Preamp, Power Amp, and Output Transformer modeling.
  • Updated various default values for most amp models for Power Tube Grid Bias (or Cathode Resistance, as applicable), Supply Sag, and Cathode Follower.
  • Fixed wrong Miller capacitance value in Deluxe Verb Vibrato, Double Verb Vibrato, Super Verb Vibrato and all Vibrato Verb models.
  • Fixed wrong FX loop recovery gain in Suhr Badger models.
NOTE: This is an update to the core amp algorithms and may change the sound of your presets. Use Fractal-Bot to make a backup first in case you ever revert to an older firmware.
  • Additional Amp Block Updates
  • Updated all JS410 Lead models based on a current production JVM410HJS. The Crunch models were tested and did not require updating.
  • Added “NFB Compensation” switch. This defaults to “On”. Turning it off disables the negative feedback volume compensation at the output of the Amp block.
  • Added Global MV control to JS410 amp models. Master Volume has been renamed Channel MV. These two master volume controls can be used to balance the tone into the power amp (as in the real amp). The Channel MV decreases the high frequencies as it is turned down whereas the Global MV is transparent.
  • Improved triode algorithm.
NEW AMP MODELS:
  • Class-A 30W Brilliant
  • JS410 Lead Green
  • Brit Silver
  • Fryette D60 models
  • Citrus RV50
  • CA3+ Rhythm/Lead models
  • Friedman BE/HBE models
  • Recto1 and Recto2 models
  • Brit 800 2203
  • Brit 800 2204 Low
  • 5153 100W Stealth
  • USA JP IIC+
  • USA MKV Green
  • USA MK V Red

New Drive Pedal Models​

• "Nobelium OVD-1” Drive model based on a Nobels™ ODR-1. The BC (Bass Cut) switch is modeled via the Bass Response control. Set the Bass Response to 1.0 to duplicate the response of the pedal with the Bass Cut switch engaged. Set Bass Response to 5.0 to duplicate response with BC switch disengaged.
  • Sunrise Splendor model based on a JHS™ Morning Glory. Existing model renamed “Sunrise Splendor Hi-Cut” to denote that the Hi-Cut switch is engaged.
  • Gauss Drive model based on a Mesa™ Flux Drive.

IMPROVED TREMOLO BLOCK​

• The optical tremolo algorithm has been completely rewritten.
  • There are now three types of optical tremolo: Optical Trem 1: This type is based on optical pedal tremolos where depth controls the intensity of the LED. Optical Trem 2: This type is based on optical pedal tremolos where depth controls a “mixer” pot. This type has more “throb” than Optical Trem 1. Neon Trem: This type is based on the optical tremolo in classic “Blackface” amps which used a neon bulb to illuminate the LDR.
  • The Tremolo type has been renamed “VCA Trem” and is based on a voltage-controlled amplifier topology.
  • An LFO waveform monitor has been added for appropriate types.

OTHER NEW FEATURES AND IMPROVEMENTS​

• Improved Stack/Hold in the Delay block:
  • Improved transition between Stack/Hold states.
  • In “Hold” mode, repeats are now infinite (or nearly, may degrade over many minutes/hours).
  • Note that if the Compander is enabled and/or Bit Reduction is in use the echoes will degrade. If you want infinite repeats, set “Compander” OFF and “Bit Reduction” to zero.
  • Note that the Mono Tape algorithm is inherently lossy (like a real tape) and echoes can still degrade over time.
  • Added “Stack Feedback” and “Hold Feedback” parameters. This allows adjusting the decay time independently for the stack and hold modes.
  • Updated Controller LFOs. The “Astable Beta” parameter for the LFOs has been renamed “Shape” and now controls the shape of the LFO for all types except Square and Random.
  • Improved Tape Chorus algorithm. The Number Voices parameter has also been removed from the GUI as it is not applicable to this type.
  • Improved Tape Delay algorithm. The LFO1 Target and LFO2 Target parameters have also been removed from the Modulation tab as they are not applicable.
  • Changed Tuner mute logic so that only selected source is muted when Mute is set to INPUT.
  • Improved Intelligent and Noise Reducer gate types in Input block. This eliminates the slight squeaking sound as the gate releases when using aggressive settings.
  • New Startup Preset global parameter sets the preset when the FM3 is powered on.
  • Added "2x12 USA C90 Open Back" speaker impedance curve.
  • Added Modifier capability to High Cut parameter in Delay block.

FIXES​

• Fixed random freezing during the Upgrade Presets process.
  • Fixed occasional squeal during preset changes when metronome volume is maximum.
  • Fixed dropped audio could occur in Euro Uber model at certain combinations of Presence and Speaker Impedance.
  • Fixed right channel volume reduced in Cabinet block when Preamp is active.
  • Fixed attack behavior of Dynamicomp model to strong input signals. Default attack time also adjusted to match reference pedal.
  • Fixed Scene MIDI GUI not updating correctly when changing scenes via front panel.
  • Fixed Output 1 Configuration being overwritten by Output 2configuration.
  • Fixed excessive delay from Pitch block at first use if the Shift and Detune amounts are both 0.0.
  • Fixed crash in Synth effect under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed Upgrade Presets not upgrading certain presets.
  • Fixed incorrect setting in Dimension 1 Chorus type.
  • Fixed preamp Vcc loss of precision.
  • Fixed delay lines not being cleared correctly in certain circumstances in Multitap Delay block.
Wow, and that this is still possible with the hardware of the FM3, it's unbelievable what the FAS developers have conjured up. Thank you!

Playing on it now. It's definitely a massive improvement to how real my go-to high gain amps feel. Chugs have a bit more of an organic squish to them that wasn't there before, at least to my ears.

Also I've never played the IRL model, but the 5150 Stealth is absolutely disgusting. It will be a new favorite for sure.
Nice. The low end chug realism is one thing I always listen for, and always ready for it to be more realistic.

I am also looking forward to checking out the Stealth.

Welp, I suppose I better update to 7.00 so I can go for 8.00 after it clears beta.

Thanks very much for these great updates!

Just a quick verification of the Beta update process:
1) install the beta firmware
2) install the dyna cab update
3) install newest FM3 edit

Is this correct? I read the release and installation notes but it doesn't really address the order of updating dyna cabs and FM3 edit in relation to the actual firmware. Thanks

Just a quick verification of the Beta update process:
1) install the beta firmware
2) install the dyna cab update
3) install newest FM3 edit

Is this correct? I read the release and installation notes but it doesn't really address the order of updating dyna cabs and FM3 edit in relation to the actual firmware. Thanks
What firmware are you updating from? If you're coming from, I think, 5.0 or higher, you don't need to install the Dyna Cabs, as they should already be there.

If you're updating from an earlier firmware, then you want to install edit first, then the beta firmware, then the Dyna Cabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom