FM3 Firmware Version 8.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m on shift and then have company for the weekend. So will have to wait a bit to try it. But I’m reading here that cpu was reduced!? In all modes? That’s nuts! And no kill dry yet? Which is fine. Sounds like people are hearing and feeling big improvements too. Wow man FAS pulled out all the stops on the little guy to keep it relevant. FAS rules!!

Thanks fro the update Fractal. Unfortunately, I'm getting squealing feedback through the FX Return/Send. Most of my presets are setup to go out to external drive pedals then back in. After updating, the unit was redlining with feedback. I tried some of the presets without the Out/In blocks and they were fine, but all of the ones utilising the FX return loop aren't ok. Hope this helps with the beta.

I haven't tried in Axe Edit, just the front panel. I kind of prefer the behavior on the Axe Fx because IMO those values are a better sounding starting point with a lot of mics/cabs than Cap / 0 cm. But I don't know which is "correct".
I've only used the onboard DynaCabs via the editor...

There are really no "correct" values but the defaults should probably be consistent across the devices.

Thanks fro the update Fractal. Unfortunately, I'm getting squealing feedback through the FX Return/Send. Most of my presets are setup to go out to external drive pedals then back in. After updating, the unit was redlining with feedback. I tried some of the presets without the Out/In blocks and they were fine, but all of the ones utilising the FX return loop aren't ok. Hope this helps with the beta.
Check your global settings. It sounds like maybe you've got Output 2 set to Line Level instead of Unity Gain...

If that's not it, post a preset.

You can also try just putting a patch cable from out to in to make sure it's not related to the external pedals.

Edit:

You probably want to post this in the firmware thread. There is no audio involved in the editor ;)

Thanks for your feedback!
Just checked - I've got Output 2 set to Unity Gain. There is a good chance I have certain global settings wrong in general, but it was all working fine on the previous firmwares and I hadn't changed anything before trying the new firmware. It was squealing on every preset that had the FX loop, so it wasn't a particular preset.
I just rolled back to Firmware 6 and it was all working fine again. Happy to test in any way that's helpful here though.

Thanks for your feedback!
Just checked - I've got Output 2 set to Unity Gain. There is a good chance I have certain global settings wrong in general, but it was all working fine on the previous firmwares and I hadn't changed anything before trying the new firmware. It was squealing on every preset that had the FX loop, so it wasn't a particular preset.
I just rolled back to Firmware 6 and it was all working fine again. Happy to test in any way that's helpful here though.
Post a preset that demonstrates the problem. Also, a screenshot might help.

@iaresee - could you move these posts to the firmware thread?

Edit: moved :)

Last edited:
Thanks heaps to Fractal Audio - I'm loving my FM3T, and the new beta sounds awesome!

I installed it this morning (after backing up, of course) - it tooks maybe 20 minutes from start to finish, and no problems whatsoever.

Spongier, snappier, zingier, more feel, more responsive, more "tubey"

I like it already 😊

I noted my CPU usage for a bunch of presets on FW7, and I’ll update the note I took with FW8.

I had a Digidesign Eleven Rack and that thing got one update in about 12 years. Even my trusty Boss GT-10 only had one or two. Fractal gets multiple updates every year, with better sounds and features.

What a fantasic ecosystem ;)

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!
This is totally rad!! Loving it!!!
Gapless functions perfectly, instantaneous clean switching between all my channels/scenes/presets.
Less CPU usage overall.
SICK tones!!!
Smoother top end, tighter low end, better response and dynamics with my tone control knob on my guitar, better definition and/or more spongey or both appropriately based on the amps, other improvements about my tone I don't know how to put into words just yet. It just feels great.
My FM3 was already the best gear purchase over anything I've ever owned before and even more so now.

In the release notes under gapless switching it says:
"Your presets must be saved under firmware 8.x or newer. You can do this manually in any of the usual ways or use the automatic utility in: SETUP > Utilities > Preset > Upgrade All Presets."

In the release notes under Cygnus X3 it says:
"Existing presets are NOT altered. A hard or soft reset will load the updated values."
but then also...
"NOTE: This is an update to the core amp algorithms and may change the sound of your presets. Use Fractal-Bot to make a backup first in case you ever revert to an older firmware."

Okay so after updating all presets initially I definitely have new and improved tone but I'm not sure if I'm just getting the core amp algorithms or the changes it's referring to that require a reset of the amp block or both or are those one in the same?
All I know is it's changed (quite a bit for some amp models) but am I getting the benefit of all the new changes available now? I went and did a soft reset on a couple of amps and did not notice any additional change to my tone beyond what I was already experiencing after upgrade all presets so I don't think there's anything I'm missing out on but I would greatly appreciate simple clarification from someone who knows for sure please....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom