FM3 Firmware Version 7.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t think there’s enough CPU for gapless switching. That’s probably the holdup.
The FM3 isn't exactly a potato, you know. The FM9 is about twice as powerful, and gapless only seems to require about 1,5-2% cpu on it.

I have every confidence in the Fractal team to deliver gapless for the FM3... and I'm prepared to wait for as long as it takes. They've definitely got this! Go Team Fractal!

I only change presets during a downtime between songs or guitar change so I don’t see a gap issue. The problem will be compatibility between units if the FM3 doesn’t get the gapless. If we do get it then the cpu cost can be recovered by using multiple presets for variations on the same amp/cab combo and changing the preset instead of the scene.

Played a GREAT bar gig last night with the FM3. Guess how many people cared about gapless switching? Hint: the answer is less than 1.
Sure, but the same is true for so many things.. :)

I doubt many would care if one used helix instead of a fractal unit, for example... But the guitarists themselves may have all sorts of reasons to prefer one over the other.

To put it differently: I think gapless will be more for "us" than the audience (at least directly). But yes, of course one can already do great things with fm3, no doubt about that.

Sure, but the same is true for so many things.. :)

I doubt many would care if one used helix instead of a fractal unit, for example... But the guitarists themselves may have all sorts of reasons to prefer one over the other.

To put it differently: I think gapless will be more for "us" than the audience (at least directly). But yes, of course one can already do great things with fm3, no doubt about that.
In my opinion and along the lines of your thoughts, we already have the cake. It is a great cake. We’re just enjoying a little extra icing when the firmwares drip out, thats all.
I’ve learned a long time ago I dont play for me (us). I play for them. IMO the FAS stuff sounds the best. So that is for them. I can play through a tin can if I HAD to, as long as they’re getting the show I want them to hear, I’m good with the tools needed to get there. Gapless would be nice, but it isnt slowing my roll even in the slightest. To the point the FM3 form factor has me leaving the FM9 home lately, anyway. I can have gapless at my next show, but choose to leave it home.

The purpose of NAMM is for MI companies to present their products to retailers.

Fractal only sells direct so there's really not much purpose for them to do it...
Correct. Also, NAMM or any company producing to capacity is pointless. I dont think they CAN sell 13 million FM3s next year even if they wanted to. There is already a waitlist on items or there is going to be, so there is no point pushing past maximum productivity. Unless the buzz of NAMM has value. That can be argued. I think there is value there but again, if they cant deliver and waitlists just get longer, what’s the point? FAS has an interesting business model that works for them. They should keep doing what they’re doing, even though I’d love to see them there.

For me, I can't wait to compare the Mark V channel 3 "amps" if they bring it to the FM3...
If all good, I'll sell the combo and look for a Mark IV (forever amp)
I also am very much looking forward to the Mark V red channels including the XT. The Leon Todd video where he demo’d them has had me super psyched about it, I’ve rewatched it about a dozen times.

The new firmwares coming out are game changing on so many different levels.

The main reason my FM3 doesn't get used much except for recording is because of the gap in presets and channel switching on scenes. It bothers me. Coming off of using a GSP1101 to the FM3 i really don't like the gap. I got a Helix for many reasons one of which was being able to switch presets without a gap. Gapless switching will probably move the FM3 up the ladder and might replace the helix if it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom