FM3 Firmware Version 6.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate gates :/ Things are so much liver without them!
A proper noise gate should be set just a bit above the noise floor and really shouldn't impact playing in a meaningful way especially with masking from other instruments. But if you are dead set against it, then...Enjoy the (non) Silence. ;-)

But if you are dead set against it
Not really, no :) I use them with singles. Who needs a gate with humbuckers though, especially with the amp set almost clean? That's how I noticed it and started digging in.
I understand the upward compressor amplifies the noise, I do. But where does it come from in a chain without input signal?... And you can hear how loud it on 18dB padding setting.

Who needs a gate with humbuckers though, especially with the amp set almost clean?
For exactly the reason you originally posted. And I wouldn't call a 5150 at gain 5 almost clean, but I guess the term clean is even more relative than I thought.
But where does it come from in a chain without input signal?
All [EDIT: active/powered] analog audio circuitry has self noise especially when there's amplification involved. Turn down the amp gain...noise is reduced. just like real life.

Last edited:
@xSPiRiTx The 6160 BLOCK CRUNCH mode was added to replicate the Crunch Mode on the 5150/6505 amp. The Former 6160 BLOCK mode was renamed 6160 BLOCK LEAD because it was always a model of the Lead mode. If you're looking for 6160 BLOCK you want 6160 BLOCK LEAD.

When performing firmware updates, it's a really good idea to review the Release Notes so you know what is changing.

If you're skipping firmware releases in between, read the notes for those, too.
In this case, the release notes for 6.00 say that 6160 BLOCK CRUNCH was added as a new model, but not that the 6160 BLOCK channel was renamed to 6160 BLOCK LEAD. So even then, there could be some confusion unless someone went back to the AXE FX III firmware notes and found the comment on it being renamed there. Given the sheer volume of firmware releases for the III and that it's an entirely separate piece of gear I wouldn't blame a user not being up to date on those as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom