FM3 Firmware Version 6.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible some how to try a previous firmware with ares modeling and keep my existing presets? If it is, where can i download it?
Really, truly and honestly not worth the hassle.

However, You will need to back up all your user and factory presets. I would also make sure to have a copy of the latest factory presets on hand also. Then find the older factory presets for Aries. Then probably I would wipe the new factory presets and user presets first, then install Aries.

What a time to be alive
Not only vintage gear prices increase, but also vintage firmware starts to be in demand
Many People complain that the Friedman amps had different low end, they prefered the old firmware and i was curious to try. Vintage gear prices increase for a reason :)

Many People complain that the Friedman amps had different low end, they prefered the old firmware and i was curious to try. Vintage gear prices increase for a reason :)
First, I would be careful about reading too much into opinions on things that potentially small. That said, at least make sure what you're reading is actually comparing apples to apples. Sometimes firmware will make changes that will cause some tweaking to user presets and some are resistant to it even though the overall improvements are significantly worth it. I'm pretty sure most everyone is in agreement the latest Firmware (or at least Cygnus) is far superior.

First, I would be careful about reading too much into opinions on things that potentially small. That said, at least make sure what you're reading is actually comparing apples to apples.
I’ve been amongst the few who’ve written about Ares vs. Cygnus Friedmans. There’s 100% a difference and the Ares version was much tighter and “modern” sounding than the Cygnus versions. I am sure that Cygnus might be more accurate, but Ares was different and (strictly in the context of high gain modern metal tones) better sounding when it comes to the HBE.

I’ve been amongst the few who’ve written about Ares vs. Cygnus Friedmans. There’s 100% a difference and the Ares version was much tighter and “modern” sounding than the Cygnus versions. I am sure that Cygnus might be more accurate, but Ares was different and (strictly in the context of high gain modern metal tones) better sounding when it comes to the HBE.
Yeah I thought someone who had the issue would comment. I don’t really get the “high gain modern metal tone” thing. There’s many ways to get those sounds. I would go for a Diezel or Engl or Recto or Bogner…for that type thing. I guess if the OP wants an inaccurate model then revert to Ares. Why the Fractal gear is important to me is the ability to get possibly every tone ever achieved especially the clean, low and mid gain stuff. Up until 3 years ago modeling was useless to me.

I can understand if a person was using a certain model as their main thing for a long time and then it’s not the same anymore I see where that would be upsetting. So you’re saying you have never been able to achieve the sound you got on the Friedman’s in Ares even with all the latest Firmware upgrades? I came onboard the month Cygnus was released for the FM3 and mine was shipped with Cygnus so truthfully I never used Ares, but have read through what Cliff has to say about much of these type matters.

So you’re saying you have never been able to achieve the sound you got on the Friedman’s in Ares even with all the latest Firmware upgrades?
have I found the same exact sound? Not to the “T”, but I have found solutions in other amp models as mentioned earlier in the thread. The closest I’ve got is the JVMOD2 Orange but it’s not 1:1. You’re right, there are many avenues to get to the tone I want but it was kind of a gruelling time when the amp model I’d been using since the Axe Fx II mk II days was suddenly nothing like it had been for years. I chased that tone for almost half a year before I made up my mind to go with other amps.

Have you tried the lowering the Master Bias Excursion?

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amp_block#MASTER_BIAS_EXCURSION

Trued all the tricks there are to tame that low-mid muddy fuzziness including this. It’s not the same!
How high was your low cut in the preamp I remember Leon Todd showing off the HBE in one update and he had the Low cut at like 450-500 sounded glorious
The other problem I could see is that the Negetive Feedback changed the old model I think had it much higher as default

How high was your low cut in the preamp I remember Leon Todd showing off the HBE in one update and he had the Low cut at like 450-500 sounded glorious
The other problem I could see is that the Negetive Feedback changed the old model I think had it much higher as default
I seem to recall that being something that helped a lot of people around that time.

First, I would be careful about reading too much into opinions on things that potentially small. That said, at least make sure what you're reading is actually comparing apples to apples. Sometimes firmware will make changes that will cause some tweaking to user presets and some are resistant to it even though the overall improvements are significantly worth it. I'm pretty sure most everyone is in agreement the latest Firmware (or at least Cygnus) is far superior.

I was a new user when Cygnus came out and the switch from Ares puzzled me. When X2 came out I knew what I was doing, and loved the improvements after figuring it out. No way I’d revert back, but each to his own.

I'm seem to remember the default input low cut was 150Hz pre Cygnus and now it is 75Hz.

Probably a few other changes as well

Trued all the tricks there are to tame that low-mid muddy fuzziness including this. It’s not the same!
If it was the same, than there will be no need for firmware update!
I think I get what you feel: more "rounded, warmer" sound. In the AX8 I have a metal sound I prefer over the same setting FM3 version.

For metal, where stiffer sound are needed, you can 1. stiffer the amp (oh, I wish there will be some solid state amp like Randall...) 2. Use the drive block for the "core" distortion, and the amp block just to add character and feel. Many hi gain stiff sound are a blend of "scratchy" guitars, bass and synth. The axefx is a wonderful platform to experiment with filters, parallel path, even using synth to add sustain and distortion into an amp. Many metal player blend direct sound of stompboxes in the mix,adding fizziness and character to cut throu without dulling the sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom