FM3 Firmware Version 6.00 beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW - the USB port failed in my FM3, maybe around a year go. That does not mean what you are experiencing is a port failure though.

My FM3 is one of the early ones without headphone socket. The USB port always felt loose compared to other devices I owned. My problems were gradual though. Sometimes the device would not be recognised, but most of the time it would. I followed advice to boot up without USB connected and it seemed to help. But then after a while it didn't help.

Mine was sent to G66's authorised repairer in the UK, and the entire main board was replaced, thankfully under warranty. When it came back, the USB port felt totally different, providing a firm connection as I was used to with other devices. I have not had a problem since.

This may have nothing to do with what you are experiencing. Mine was an intermittent problem that became worse, consistent with gradual hardware component failure. If yours has suddenly failed to be recognised and is now never recognised, it may be something totally different.

I am a Mac user, where no special drivers are required. If you're on Windows that may introduce other issues.
That worries me since my usb has always been loose… it has lost connections just a couple of times but I was probably pulling the cable by accident. I bought my unit in the US and now live in France so I don’t even know if I would be able to get it repaired.

Very excited for the new firmware. I was always hoping the Klon would get there eventually and I'm glad it did.

Last edited:
Took a few hours and changed the Speaker Drive and Thump to the factory defaults of 2.0 and 2.5 on all my presets. I like what I'm hearing. Curious that the Thump parameter which didn't exist before was set at 0.0 when the default is 2.5
I think I remember reading on the axe3 forum that for existing presets - speaker thump would be set to 0. mine are all at 0 so just need to tweak

Nope, don’t try. The FX3 presets are seldom going to fit into a FM3 because of hardware constraints resulting in broken presets and massive CPU % overages. Remember, the FX3 has 4x the CPU of the FM3 and a bigger grid.
how about blocks from the axfx3, can they be loaded from the library folder?

how about blocks from the axfx3, can they be loaded from the library folder?
Yes, they are, for the most part, completely compatible. Parameters that only exist on the FX3 will be ignored and (silently) hidden.

There's an option in Edit to add the blocks in a preset to the Block Library: Preset > Save All Blocks to Library. That'll cause a sub-folder of the Blocks Library folder to be created which contains the blocks for that preset, making it easy to move or delete them en masse if you want later. You'll need Axe-Edit to break the preset down to blocks though, which also means you'll need the FX3.

I generally don't dump all the blocks like that though, I'll selectively pick a particular block I want to transfer, then save that to the library and give it a name like "FX3 blah blah" so its easy to find.

And, just so you know, when I move presets from my FX3 to the FM* units, I typically start on the FX3, reducing the preset until the CPU % is at most 50%, and the blocks themselves exist on my target machine, then export the preset, import it on either the FM9 or the FM3, and adjust further. After doing that on several different presets we get so we can do it pretty easily. That's basically the general path we follow when making/adjusting the factory presets; They start on the FX3, then get reduced to fit into the FM9 or FX3.

Last edited:
I'll try again. I'm not able to change to on the parameters of ideal section of the amp block in the sv20 emulation in fm3 edit (SAT, cut, efc). I don't know the reason and i would to know if this ocours to somebody else.
Sorry for my english and thank you
No hay problema aqui.

1667496166590.png

I'll try again. I'm not able to change to on the parameters of ideal section of the amp block in the sv20 emulation in fm3 edit (SAT, cut, efc). I don't know the reason and i would to know if this ocours to somebody else.
It works fine for me, can't reproduce it.

Took a few hours and changed the Speaker Drive and Thump to the factory defaults of 2.0 and 2.5 on all my presets. I like what I'm hearing. Curious that the Thump parameter which didn't exist before was set at 0.0 when the default is 2.5
Did you know about this? Shift/right click on any parameter and change that with other presets. Highlight the presets to make the change and hit the SAVE.

Attachments

• 20221103_134627.jpg
    20221103_134627.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
  • 20221103_134648.jpg
    20221103_134648.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
Amazing list of new features and enhancements on this release, thanks as always Fractal team, I know what I will be doing this evening :)

I just created a new preset with the SV20, no problem in the Ideal section. You might want to try reloading the firmware.
It's probably not the firmware, but more likely…
Confirm that you're running the current Edit for the FM3.

Often this problem occurs because the firmware changed but the editor hasn't been told it did. Usually, the editor can sense that, but it often helps to run Settings > Refresh after New Firmware. This causes it to read all the parameters from the firmware and their default settings.

You can run a newer *Edit with older firmware, but not vice-versa. Newer versions of Edit are aware of past versions of the firmware, but older versions of *Edit have no way of knowing what new firmware has in it.

Last edited:
Yes, they are, for the most part, completely compatible. Parameters that only exist on the FX3 will be ignored and (silently) hidden.

There's an option in Edit to add the blocks in a preset to the Block Library: Preset > Save All Blocks to Library. That'll cause a sub-folder of the Blocks Library folder to be created which contains the blocks for that preset, making it easy to move or delete them en masse if you want later. You'll need Axe-Edit to break the preset down to blocks though, which also means you'll need the FX3.

I generally don't dump all the blocks like that though, I'll selectively pick a particular block I want to transfer, then save that to the library and give it a name like "FX3 blah blah" so its easy to find.

And, just so you know, when I move presets from my FX3 to the FM* units, I typically start on the FX3, reducing the preset until the CPU % is at most 50%, and the blocks themselves exist on my target machine, then export the preset, import it on either the FM9 or the FM3, and adjust further. After doing that on several different presets we get so we can do it pretty easily. That's basically the general path we follow when making/adjusting the factory presets; They start on the FX3, then get reduced to fit into the FM9 or FX3.
very helpful, thank you sir

All of the amps have been reworked, Cliff is working on verifying them. I won't pretend to know exactly what that means but it stands to reason that he's making sure that Cygnus X-2 is working properly and/or as expected with each amp.

Tried out the new firmware yesterday. Took me awhile to figure out not all amps were done haha! So I re-read the list and all good. So if you find yourself under whelmed by the new firmware make sure you’re using an amp block that is reworked.

Have you tried using the 'Batch Setter' function? You can alter a parameter value for any or all channels of that block across multiple preset.

Last edited:
Have you tried using the 'Batch Setter' function? You can alter parameter value for any or all channels of that block across multiple preset.
Exactly. Using it to change my presets took a few minutes. During one of the factory preset cycles, I used it to adjust my copy of the factory presets too, and it worked great.

BTW, use <SHIFT>+<RIGHT-CLICK> on a parameter to reach Set In Multiple Presets, and, it's in *Edit only, not in the front-panel.

Possible Bug... Can you confirm if the Bright Gain for the 59 Bassguy Normal model is working? It has no effect on the tone in my fm3. I am assuming the control shouldn't be there since it's the normal channel? The control is under the tone page. Normal gain control is working correctly.

Also...

Deluxe Tweed model Normal Gain might be off. If I push to 10, the amp gets quieter and has less gain. If I reduce, it gets more gain.
Tweed Jumped Normal Gain not working until pushed to 10. Otherwise doesn't work correctly.

@rglr
The Bright Gain "interacts" with the Normal Gain on the Normal model and conversely the Normal Gain interacts with the Bright Gain on the Bright model.

This is authentic to the real amps as per my understanding. I believe what you're describing is expected behavior.

The Bright Gain "interacts" with the Normal Gain on the Normal model and conversely the Normal Gain interacts with the Bright Gain on the Bright model.
This is authentic to the real amps as per my understanding. I believe what you're describing is expected behavior.

Thanks, it makes sense they would interact with each other. I wasn't hearing any changes at all when adjusting the bright gain for the Bassguy normal model, but I was rushed this morning. I'll try to listen more critically tomorrow morning.

As for the Deluxe Tweed, I don't believe the way it was working would be expected behavior. If I turned the normal gain anywhere from 0 to around 9.9 it was fine. Once I pushed to 10, there was a large gain drop. I'll reproduce tomorrow morning and confirm there wasn't another variable involved.

Thanks, it makes sense they would interact with each other. I wasn't hearing any changes at all when adjusting the bright gain for the Bassguy normal model, but I was rushed this morning. I'll try to listen more critically tomorrow morning.

As for the Deluxe Tweed, I don't believe the way it was working would be expected behavior. If I turned the normal gain anywhere from 0 to around 9.9 it was fine. Once I pushed to 10, there was a large gain drop. I'll reproduce tomorrow morning and confirm there wasn't another variable involved.
Again, from what I know, that IS expected behavior...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom