FM3 Firmware Version 5.03

Status
Not open for further replies.
PreFri F5 warmup.
Evenyone stretch the hands back…
Then each finger, one at a time, wrist rotations
Thanks for your continued patience on the FM3 firmware release. There have been numerous fixes and improvements made during recent beta tests, including CPU optimizations designed to offset CPU increases associated with improvements from the Axe-Fx III. It's remarkable how much sound "fits" in the FM3 but it takes a lot of work. I expect we'll have one more round of private beta before a public release. We will keep you updated as we close in.
Always appreciate.

I find these "x.x firmware version" threads forum's analog of smoking area :)
Small talks about the weather with occasional arguing about recent news and predictions about the next events and elections.
Everyone knows what everyone else is going to say but keeps talking anyway because you just have to talk to people when smoking! :)
Especially once you get past about the 2nd page! :p

Thanks for your continued patience on the FM3 firmware release. There have been numerous fixes and improvements made during recent beta tests, including CPU optimizations designed to offset CPU increases associated with improvements from the Axe-Fx III. It's remarkable how much sound "fits" in the FM3 but it takes a lot of work. I expect we'll have one more round of private beta before a public release. We will keep you updated as we close in.
Missed this yesterday. Thanks for the heads up and for all the work you guys do. Sounds like it will be a great update!!

I just went thru hurricane Ian at ground zero (port Charlotte, Florida.) and the only things that stayed by my side throughout were my 2 Suhr Custom moderns and my FM3! When you are faced with losing everything and can only grab a little to hold on to, it always surprising to see what you choose. Needless to say my FM3 means the world to me and is that important! Updates or not, thank you Cliff and company for making something I truly consider one of my most irreplaceable possessions.

I am naturally inclined to appreciate a gentlemen like you who would graciously offer such a forgiving analogy that promotes a peaceful future- and maybe even indirectly eases some of our minds about what the actual legit intellectuals must think as they lurk on the balconies eavesdropping on the firmware thread smoking area.
If the smoking area was real I would give you a heads-up first before rendering it a wasteland of blatant carnage with evil intention-
Just to stand alone among a weeks worth of random slowly dying OP’s calmly asking who still wants to be the fan-boi comment guy now motherfuckers.

Last edited:
I expect we'll have one more round of private beta before a public release. We will keep you updated as we close in.
So after the said round of private beta, Is it going to be an official release or will we have to wait for public testing to conclude before the official firmware?
Either way thank you for continually improving the tone of the FM3!

So after the said round of private beta, Is it going to be an official release or will we have to wait for public testing to conclude before the official firmware?
Either way thank you for continually improving the tone of the FM3!
private beta -> public beta -> stable release
It has always been like this and most probably it will be like this with FW 6 as well. More testers means more potential bugs will be discovered.

but, the problem with public beta testing is that not everyone is able to describe the problem correctly...
I imagine this is why there has been a more extensive private beta here. Those are hand-picked folks who know what to look for and are highly experienced with the unit. There are certainly many highly capable public users, but as the popularity of these units has increased, many new users who have not had as much experience with Fractal are using the FM3 and may not be used Fractal's more open beta policy. Most other companies do all of this testing internally before releasing. I could see how some users who aren't used to that may expect a highly functional release, even from a beta, based on their past experience and get frustrated when they run into bugs or other issues.

but, the problem with public beta testing is that not everyone is able to describe the problem correctly...
Exactly.

The thing about open beta is that people need to weigh their ability to actually help the cause. Often "shiny!" gets in their eyes, they load it, and then assume and claim everything that they don't understand is a bug, and, as you say, can't describe the problem, or test for alternate causes. And that adds to the load of those who can do those things because then they have to try to duplicate the problem, often from a poor description, and write the test cases to pass back. Having the extra eyes on the code helps but… yeah. Open-beta is a double-edged sword that way.

Last edited:
I imagine this is why there has been a more extensive private beta here. Those are hand-picked folks who know what to look for and are highly experienced with the unit. There are certainly many highly capable public users, but as the popularity of these units has increased, many new users who have not had as much experience with Fractal are using the FM3 and may not be used Fractal's more open beta policy. Most other companies do all of this testing internally before releasing. I could see how some users who aren't used to that may expect a highly functional release, even from a beta, based on their past experience and get frustrated when they run into bugs or other issues.
It's basically the philosophy behind open-source software, though this isn't open-source. The more eyes on the code, whether it's the firmware or the editor, the better the chance of bugs being revealed because more eyes imply more areas of the code being exercised.

Often, those who are not familiar with the system end up reporting problems that are not bugs, they're just not the way they are expecting to do something, they're dragging the other system's way of interfacing behind them.

Can we get an update on when the next public beta will be available? Appreciate the progress updates on this, sounds like the private beta testers are hard at work testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom