FM3 Firmware Version 5.02 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been somewhat normal for CPU use to go up and down on different firmware versions. I think they will get it sorted out.
with each update there is an improvement that increases cpu consumption. I think that the Fm3 does not have enough cpu to be improving it more

It's diving into the Infinite Void and retrieving Universal Access to Ultimate Tone prior to Full Bootup. :)
I was reading up on the more specific aspects of the Griffin Processor(s) used in the FM3 the other day and without getting into too much techno stuff (some of which is going to be use specific and just speculation) but one feature(s) of this DSP is to be powerful, but not need any or much fan cooling. That's when I noticed there are a bunch of hardware-based protections that I imagine can be coded to react for certain use situations. The delay or even failure to boot could be these "security and protection" features going over all the system parameters that might be reading slightly outside of limit and deciding whether it's safe to proceed. I imagine that there's probably code that could be overly protective or in some way can be changed without endangering the units and that will be coming. I imagine geek stuff like this is probably considered outside the realm of the average user and so not much is made of it until it will just be fixed in a new firmware. This type of stuff can just make a "much ado about nothing" type of thing and the developers will just spend all their time putting users unfounded fears to rest.

Just some speculation. Anyway, it was worth a look at the design and features of the brains of the FM3. And in disclaimer, I know just enough about this stuff to hold a semi-intelligent conversation and by no means am I an expert.

A simple amp and cab block is still quite low and as long as that keeps pace with the axe 3 I'll be happy
It's the business. The more cpu the fm3 consumes, the more people will think of buying the fx3. Does anyone remember how the amplifiers sounded with Ares? There were videos showing that they sounded just like real amps. Has anyone checked if they sound better now with a recording?🤔

Well, the new CNFB method makes things "pop" out a tad more; found out I needed to tweak around with power amp settings on some presets that simply sounded "hairier" after the move the beta. All in all, I like it - just seems I needed to re-familiarize with what I had down as the sweet-spots in terms of Negative Feedback and Presence (mostly on Marshall stuff or derivatives).
..or I could well just be imagining things after too much noodling around.

It's the business. The more cpu the fm3 consumes, the more people will think of buying the fx3. Does anyone remember how the amplifiers sounded with Ares? There were videos showing that they sounded just like real amps. Has anyone checked if they sound better now with a recording?🤔
I think it is a bit short sighted/cynical to think that Fractal’s CPU increases in the FM3 are an attempt to get people to trade up to the Axe3. First of all, several updates have optimized CPU and actually decreased the load on presets.

Secondly, all 3 products are aimed at different players in different price brackets with different needs. As a rhythm guitarist and singer, I don’t need the super complicated signal chains that many lead players do, so the FM3 is plenty powerful for me. Is there some crossover? Sure, but I see all three units as different solutions for different players or different gig types.

Finally, I think think the real target here is actually the competing units in similar formats. All of the incremental improvements are a reason to buy Fractal over their competitors. Has the tone “improved” markedly from Ares? I’d say that is subjective. Has the feel improved? Again, subjective. I would argue that a lot of modelers sound great these days, particularly in a mix. That said, I notice the little differences over time and to me, they are better. Most of the improvements these days to me are in the feel, how realistically the amps respond to gain, boosts, etc, and finding the sweet spot between a recreation of a recorded tone vs a tube amp in the room.

So, for my needs, I love my FM3 and don’t particularly need an Axe3. Others may want multiple units for different purposes. Hell, I play an HX Stomp in the loop to have a built in backup, access to their effects, and to give me more flexibility. I’m not naive enough to believe that Fractal doesn’t want to sell more of their flagship units. Of course they do! But, is that the impetus behind the CPU increases? No. The commitment to support and consistent free updating on all 3 units is counterintuitive to that idea.

I think it is a bit short sighted/cynical to think that Fractal’s CPU increases in the FM3 are an attempt to get people to trade up to the Axe3. First of all, several updates have optimized CPU and actually decreased the load on presets.

Secondly, all 3 products are aimed at different players in different price brackets with different needs. As a rhythm guitarist and singer, I don’t need the super complicated signal chains that many lead players do, so the FM3 is plenty powerful for me. Is there some crossover? Sure, but I see all three units as different solutions for different players or different gig types.

Finally, I think think the real target here is actually the competing units in similar formats. All of the incremental improvements are a reason to buy Fractal over their competitors. Has the tone “improved” markedly from Ares? I’d say that is subjective. Has the feel improved? Again, subjective. I would argue that a lot of modelers sound great these days, particularly in a mix. That said, I notice the little differences over time and to me, they are better. Most of the improvements these days to me are in the feel, how realistically the amps respond to gain, boosts, etc, and finding the sweet spot between a recreation of a recorded tone vs a tube amp in the room.

So, for my needs, I love my FM3 and don’t particularly need an Axe3. Others may want multiple units for different purposes. Hell, I play an HX Stomp in the loop to have a built in backup, access to their effects, and to give me more flexibility. I’m not naive enough to believe that Fractal doesn’t want to sell more of their flagship units. Of course they do! But, is that the impetus behind the CPU increases? No. The commitment to support and consistent free updating on all 3 units is counterintuitive to that idea.
You are right that they update all 3 products, but that is what all companies do nowadays: helix..... What is true is that when updating to firmware 5.01, I don't notice the previous cpu reduction that they achieved with the reverb block , because something causes it to increase on the other hand. Every time I have to remove the quality of the reverb and cab to be able to enter cpu margins, because if I don't, the sound is cut off. This makes me hesitate to update the firmware or not and it happens to many other users as well.

Also say that when you have 200 presets it is a lot of work to go one by one modifying parameters of the amplifier to get it to sound like before, only gaining a little subjective feeling. If it's feel you're looking for, you never get the feel of playing with a tube amp and that would be a good way to improve, when you have frfr speakers connected of course. To record something, they have almost reached perfection and I think there is no space for improvement on that way. Of course it's just my opinion as I'm basing it on the clean sounds of my Mesa boogie through my 4x12 celestion cabinet and the feel is very different. Yes, in heavier distortions better results are achieved, since you cannot put your tube amplifier at home at the volume and gain it needs to give that incredible distortion that you get in an open space or in a concert hall and being able to do it with the simulator.

I haven’t tried this yet, using the FM3 to compensate for off tunings. Using the pitch block yes?
Yep, using the Virtual Capo. As a bedroom player I have to use headphones for this as trying this through monitors, unless you crank the column up high, you hear the note acoustically from the guitar and the detuned note from the speakers at the same time. Warble city.

You are right that they update all 3 products, but that is what all companies do nowadays: helix..... What is true is that when updating to firmware 5.01, I don't notice the previous cpu reduction that they achieved with the reverb block , because something causes it to increase on the other hand. Every time I have to remove the quality of the reverb and cab to be able to enter cpu margins, because if I don't, the sound is cut off. This makes me hesitate to update the firmware or not and it happens to many other users as well.
We’re talking about a single beta firmware release here. I would need to see a consistent pattern to convince me you’re right here. Been playing Fractal gear for a long time now and I just don’t see it. If your presets are so complex that you are maxed out and small increases in CPU push you over the edge, I would recommend posting them so others can make suggestions on optimization. Otherwise, you may be one of those players that actually needed an Axe3 in the first place.

I agree in 100%. I have exactly the same problem. I no longer look at the CPU usage indicator until the sound comes out. I have not used other settings than economy for a long time. And I don't know what the higher ones are for: D
I still hope to see a CPU drop in the final version.

Played a show with 5.02B1 last night. No issues at all. Sounded amazing. It was actually my first live show since January (things slow down here in the winter) and my first with the FM3. Coming from an HX Stomp, the FM3 just sounds so much more alive and harmonically rich. The routing came in handy too as I was able to mix the Right Return jack input out to my IEM rig for an ambience mic.

-Aaron

I just installed this beta and here are my thoughts/observations:

1) My main preset CPU usage went up by 1%. A whole 1%!!! I guess that means I need to go to Fractal's message board and complain endlessly. Ugh.

2) The black screen on boot-up is horrible! I have to look at a black screen for maybe 2 seconds. OMG!!!! Noooooooo!!!!! Aaaaaaah!!!!

3) People, please remember this is a beta release. It is not a final firmware release. There may still be some wrinkles to iron out. So take a deep breath, take a Xanax (or your benzodiazepine of choice) and freaking relax!

I'm not a fanboy, but I've been around for a while and I feel like I have a general idea of how Fractal Audio treats their customers. They treat their customers very well, far better than most companies. I can't see any reality in which they would try to purposely force people to upgrade from the FM3 to the FX3. That's simply preposterous. Please stop annoying us and take these conspiracy theories to some fringe group's message board.

Thanks to Fractal for their ongoing diligence in improving their products. This beta sounds great! Keep up the good work!

Installed the beta the day it came out. I turn my device on and off all the time when I'm done playing and move to rehearsals, etc. I saw the black screen once so far. I'm gigging with this firmware today, no hesitation, very excited, can't wait to hear it LOUD.

I just installed this beta and here are my thoughts/observations:

1) My main preset CPU usage went up by 1%. A whole 1%!!! I guess that means I need to go to Fractal's message board and complain endlessly. Ugh.

2) The black screen on boot-up is horrible! I have to look at a black screen for maybe 2 seconds. OMG!!!! Noooooooo!!!!! Aaaaaaah!!!!

3) People, please remember this is a beta release. It is not a final firmware release. There may still be some wrinkles to iron out. So take a deep breath, take a Xanax (or your benzodiazepine of choice) and freaking relax!

I'm not a fanboy, but I've been around for a while and I feel like I have a general idea of how Fractal Audio treats their customers. They treat their customers very well, far better than most companies. I can't see any reality in which they would try to purposely force people to upgrade from the FM3 to the FX3. That's simply preposterous. Please stop annoying us and take these conspiracy theories to some fringe group's message board.

Thanks to Fractal for their ongoing diligence in improving their products. This beta sounds great! Keep up the good work!
Absolutely…the “doing things on purpose to make people buy the more expensive thing” is completely unfounded. I’m 57 and have at times dropped a few grand on one piece of gear, but now I’m at a point where I wouldn’t spend that sort of money even if it was the only thing available and I had all the money in the world. It’s just not practical. The FM3 is perfect for me. There are some things that would be great to get ironed out…like the complete boot failure that a few have reported. I’m confident that will be fixed. I have never made any “kitchen sink” type presets so the CPU increase has not been an issue. There’s probably some things that will be able to improve with that, also.

Mainly the thing that always kept me away from modeling is what is most improved and that’s “ the feel” of the models. The audio has always been great. The ability to use your volume control on the guitar and have it respond like it would with a real amp is so great. Along with pick and fingering dynamics it’s just amazing.

I got my Fm3 in January 2021 and recorded a song which was released in April 2021.

I'm about to release new single in the next few weeks which uses the beta 5.01 - the guitar tones were a lot easy to mix - I didn't have to do too much.

Both used @yorkaudio ir's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom