FM3 Firmware Version 5.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played with the guys tonight. I don’t haul a laptop with me and use the UI. While doing so all the blocks in the layout turned into boxes with horizontal lines. Had to reboot it. Other than that all good. This was the beta 4 not the release. I’ll install the release tomorrow. Awesome job FAS!

You mean resetting the Input 2 block with FW 4.01 or give it a try with FW 5? I was looking forward for FW 5 as Cygnus X2 and improved reverb CPU performance was announced so it would be cool to get FW 5 working on my unit instead of rolling back 😉
I would assume he means reset in FW 5 since 4.01 was working fine for you. Worth a try at any rate.

Knowing nobody cares about my story...here it is anyway. I turn 59 this week and I remember sitting around with my Fender E-series Japanese Strat, Peavey Triumph 120 and a handful of DOD, Boss and Arion pedals playing 4-5 hours a day. I would tell friends how cool it would be to have an "amp" that you could hit a button and be George Lynch, EVH, etc. This was 1987...if only I'd been as smart as Cliff, right?
Now I grab an hour here or there and wish for more time. I read the comments here...wish I had time to deep dive as much as the rest of you guys. Please STOP at 5.0, you are just making me feel worse! My wife says if I had this thing in 1990 she knows we would've never got married and I'd still be holed up in my one bedroom apartment noodling and turning knobs. I could've been Leon Todd and Cooper Carter before they were born!
FAS's never ending approach for their customers is beyond compare! Thanks guys!

How fast were you switching?

Not super fast. Happened with and without an open editor. I was confused why my clean sounded so dirty and it really was messed up, had to reload the preset. Never had something like that.

But i am unable to directly reproduce this 😕

On this new FW the amps sound and feel much better IMHO.
This is where i would focus mainly.
Not to say that the effects are not amazing!!! (everyone knows that fractal have the edge on that...)

Last edited:
Scene volume incremente and decrement? Where, how?

Its in the FC editor (in FM edit). I have assigned two footswitches in view 4 of my effects layout. The scene increment / decrement is listed under utilities when assigning the footswitch. It is a bit clunky however with quite a large audio gap as it saves - I remember it being much more seamless on the AX8 and Axe FX II, but still a very useful function.

my two cents:
  • Backup your FM3
  • Install new editor FM3 Edit
  • Install new Firmware 5.0
  • Save your presets to a new location
  • Reset AMP and COMP block on the new presets
  • Try to rebuild your sound (don't be afraid! this is the nice part of the story and we are together with you in this fantastic adventure :)
  • compare new preset and old one to check the benefit of new firmware
  • Keep the history of your presets, it is very helpful
Ciao

Last edited:
How to reset COMP block? The same way as the AMP blocks in the preset manage menu?
I don't think he's saying to do the reset amp procedure (I've never heard of such a procedure for Comp). That is only required if told to do so. It would be in the release notes. I posted a link regarding this above.

I believe Marco is addressing the fact that sometimes your preset will have a slightly different sound after an update (naturally) and in case you need to make adjustments, the primary suspects are Comp and Amp, so go there first and tweak.

EDIT: There is a procedure to reset Comp (see Admin's post below). That's probably still not necessary though and may actually take you further from your desired tone (if only small adjustments are required) as it resets everything to default values. If it seems large adjustments are needed, then possibly. Again, always back up before proceeding.

Last edited:
Resetting a compressor block is easy.

From the front panel, open the Compressor's edit menu and press the RESET soft-knob.
In FM3-Edit, click the compressor, go to the BLOCK menu and choose Reset Current Channel.

Resetting a compressor block is easy.

From the front panel, open the Compressor's edit menu and press the RESET soft-knob.
In FM3-Edit, click the compressor, go to the BLOCK menu and choose Reset Current Channel.
Can you do it from the unit?

Can you do it from the unit?
Yes, that's the front panel.

Press HOME.
Press ENTER to show the layout grid.
Use NAV keys to select the compressor block.
Once it is selected, press EDIT.
Push knob D to RESET the current channel.

Once you do this, re-select the desired TYPE. The default settings should be very usable.

since i upgraded to 5.0 all the clean scenes sound very distorted, i can't find the problem, anyone else?
Everything looks and sounds ok after the update. Do You use the Preamp Section in the Cab Block? Turn it off testwise. Deaktivate all other Modules, so only In,-, Out-, Amp- and Cabblock is active. Look at the Output Level of the Input Block if its different to 0dB. Use the "Meters" Layout on the unit itself to see if the levels are good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom