FM3 Firmware Version 5.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not firmware related but some of my computers USB ports cause my FM3 screen to light up when it's not turned on. Can this cause damage? It happened with my desktop and my laptop.
That doesn’t sound good, but I can’t say whether it will cause you actual problems. I’ve just had my unit repaired under warranty for a very similar issue where the leds stayed on even when the unit was unplugged. Mine is one of the early units without headphone jack.

It became an issue when my mac started disabling usb saying an accessory was drawing too much power.

In my case it indicated a faulty USB port and faulty motherboard components, and this was fixed under warranty.

Your issues may not be the same, and may not cause any real problems, but I would talk to fractal support.

Not firmware related but some of my computers USB ports cause my FM3 screen to light up when it's not turned on. Can this cause damage? It happened with my desktop and my laptop.

I read those issues since the FM3 was shipped.
If I remember correctly, you have to get your FM3 repaired, it's a hardware issue :( ...

That doesn’t sound good, but I can’t say whether it will cause you actual problems. I’ve just had my unit repaired under warranty for a very similar issue where the leds stayed on even when the unit was unplugged. Mine is one of the early units without headphone jack.

It became an issue when my mac started disabling usb saying an accessory was drawing too much power.

In my case it indicated a faulty USB port and faulty motherboard components, and this was fixed under warranty.

Your issues may not be the same, and may not cause any real problems, but I would talk to fractal support.
My LEDS stay lit as well. Thanks

I had that same USB issue a while back and since I got my FM3 second-hand, was boned in terms of warranty and the repair was expensive otherwise. I made a habit of always connecting and disconnected the USB cable while everything is already on (PC and the FM3) and always disconnecting as the first step before shutting anything off - and it's been a non-issue since. I've also not tried it since the new/beta firmware - but everyone claims it's a hardware problem so maybe that's irrelevant.

I'm noticing a bug in FM3 edit on Windows 11. It took me a while to figure out how to consistently reproduce it, but I finally figured it out. When a full screen window is pulled in front of the editor, (such as brave or chrome) and then the editor is selected from the taskbar, FM3 edit goes into a weird state where it either does not show labels, or just shows the default for a value or effect type. It also looses the ability to edit. This can be fixed by restarting FM3 edit.

1642130917520.png

Apologies if this has already been discussed. I didn't want to read all 27 pages.

I just got my FM3 back from warranty repair today. Loaded the beta on it. Straight in to the FX return of my Friedman PT20. Oh my god! Amazing. Plexis sound awesome. Archeon with power amp modelling disabled sounds amazing. I've missed my FM3. Breaking out the pedals again while it was gone was kind of fun, but the FM3 is just another level.

Pitch block dual diatonic tracks so well for doing harmony parts. I'm in heaven.

Just had band practice last night in preparation for our gig on Saturday. 5.0b1 installed. Again, (I'm happy to beat this horse to death) the Virtual Capo is simply stellar now; it's unbelievable. Even my bassist, who's also a guitarist in his spare time, was jamming out on a preset with the VC in drop C and was amazed by how much better it was than it used to be.

FAS, I don't know if whatever you did that made it so great was intentional or a happy accident, since it wasn't mentioned in the release notes, but if it was an accident, please don't undo it just as accidentally.

This FW, even just this beta, has made this the perfect floor modeler for my needs.

Pitch block dual diatonic tracks so well for doing harmony parts. I'm in heaven.
This is good to hear; I've only had experience with the VC so it's good to know the other parts of the pitch block have received benefits :)

Just had band practice last night in preparation for our gig on Saturday. 5.0b1 installed. Again, (I'm happy to beat this horse to death) the Virtual Capo is simply stellar now; it's unbelievable. Even my bassist, who's also a guitarist in his spare time, was jamming out on a preset with the VC in drop C and was amazed by how much better it was than it used to be.

FAS, I don't know if whatever you did that made it so great was intentional or a happy accident, since it wasn't mentioned in the release notes, but if it was an accident, please don't undo it just as accidentally.

This FW, even just this beta, has made this the perfect floor modeler for my needs.

This is good to hear; I've only had experience with the VC so it's good to know the other parts of the pitch block have received benefits :)
Love the positivity bro.

Has FAS chimed in on this.?..were there any actual changes to this block ?
I've been sitting back and wondering this too. It seems that ugly bunny did perform some sort of testing. Its just odd that FAS would truly improve the (widely requested) pitch algo and not state that. I haven't tried it yet so I'm just spectating.

Has FAS chimed in on this.?..were there any actual changes to this block ?
They have not... and it both worries me and makes me super curious lol!! That's why I think it was a happy accident and they may be working out behind the scenes exactly what magic was wrought upon us that created this miracle.

As a user at TGP theorized, the way FAS processes pitch seems to be universal; if, for instance, on the Helix you add a Poly Capo, it takes up half of the DSP. If you add a pitch block using the Virtual Capo on the Fractal, it takes up only a small amount of DSP, meaning that it's likely that the pitch detecting algorithm is running all the time (also evidenced by the always-on mini tuner).

So... with the changes in the mini tuner and the choppiness of the actual tuner in this beta, there might be something going on that's both causing those problems and also making the Virtual Capo (and other modules in the pitch block, apparently) work so much better than before.

I'm super interested in all this and I hope they do chime in. But I'm sure they're all busy; Cliff just released the CNFB algorithm for the Axe III, so I'm sure they're busy working with that and, probably, working on porting it to the sister units :)

I am calling placebo effect. It was always ok. ;)
Haha it's really not; I did measurements. It's objectively both faster (less latency) and more consistent. You're right, though; it was always "okay," but now it's industry standard (meaning on parity with the Axe Fx III, Digitech Drop, etc.).

I've been sitting back and wondering this too. It seems that ugly bunny did perform some sort of testing. Its just odd that FAS would truly improve the (widely requested) pitch algo and not state that. I haven't tried it yet so I'm just spectating.
Unfortunately, this was not as widely requested as it would seem. I've been told I'm part of the "vocal minority" lol. They were tracking that it was requested, but apparently not as much by everyone else as by me :p

I'm noticing a bug in FM3 edit on Windows 11. It took me a while to figure out how to consistently reproduce it, but I finally figured it out. When a full screen window is pulled in front of the editor, (such as brave or chrome) and then the editor is selected from the taskbar, FM3 edit goes into a weird state where it either does not show labels, or just shows the default for a value or effect type. It also looses the ability to edit. This can be fixed by restarting FM3 edit.

View attachment 94240

Apologies if this has already been discussed. I didn't want to read all 27 pages.
Was just going to post this! I've got the same bug on Windows 11 as well, and it's interesting to note that only full screen windows appear to cause this problem. Any windows that are resized smaller do not appear to lock up FM3-Edit. That's my current workaround.

Was just going to post this! I've got the same bug on Windows 11 as well, and it's interesting to note that only full screen windows appear to cause this problem. Any windows that are resized smaller do not appear to lock up FM3-Edit. That's my current workaround.
I found this as well and posted it in the FM3 edit sub forum.

Do you have the latest version of USB drivers installed?
https://www.fractalaudio.com/fm3-downloads/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom