FM3 Firmware Version 5.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
..were there any actual changes to this block ?
Forgot to address this;

BLUF: If there were, they were not reported in the release notes and have not been confirmed/denied by FAS.

The long version: I don't know if there were any changes directly made to this block; if there were, they were not announced in the release notes and when I initially expressed my disappointment about that, our worries were never assuaged; it was more or less stated that it wasn't possible to achieve the Axe Fx III's pitch block algorithm on the FM3 due to CPU, and furthermore, it wasn't received as a super high priority wish list item since, again, I and a few others are a vocal minority and most people don't notice or care about the VC.

All that said, while there may not have been any changes made specifically to the pitch block, there were obviously SOME changes made somewhere whose net effect was an improved pitch block; and this circles back to speculation on how the machine processes pitch and what degree the actual pitch block plays a role in how good it is. Again; it was stated that the FM3 can't run the Axe's pitch algorithm, but that statement, possibly just simplified for the unwashed masses, may have been referring to the way the device manages pitch globally; as clearly, adding a pitch block doesn't immediately soak up all available resources and ability to run any other blocks like it does with something like the Helix. It could be similar to global blocks and the RTA and other things the FM3 can't run because of 'overhead' processing requirements (before a single block is even placed on the grid). NOTE: I don't believe it's ever been confirmed that the FM3 can't run the RTA or global blocks; this was just as a possible example.

This is all pure conjecture, of course. I don't know jack about programming or electronics. But the net result is that the effects in the pitch block - the Virtual Capo, since that's all I care about - has been effectively improved an objective, measurable, and noticeable degree (noticeable to someone like me that uses it every day).

Of course I can't speak for the company and I do hope they eventually speak out about this, but again; it may be one of those things they just don't notice. I mean, who am I? I'm quite literally a nobody. Just because I post about the VC (what feels like) all the time doesn't mean my posts ever get noticed by the powers that be; being the whole 'vocal minority' and all. Perhaps they're watching this discussion and our bemusement play out with amusement.

I just love this machine so much and, I guess even more, now, I love the mystery that surrounds this unannounced, unplanned-for, unexpected, yet ultra satisfyingly awesome, improvement :hearteyes:

Last edited:
Ran this Beta firmware at rehearsal last night for 4 and 1/2 hours and ZERO issues.

Mentioned I was using a new Beta firmware to the other guitar player (who has ran an Helix
for about 5 years), and when I did so it inspired a lengthy rant from him about the infrequent
nature of Helix upgrades. Yup. It did. :)

Hi all.

Apologies if this has already been addressed sonewhere, but do we know if the very recent CNFB changes in the Axe FW 19.xx will definitely be coming to the FM3 also ?

If so, perhaps in FW 5 Beta 2 or 3 (?)

Ben

Hi all.

Apologies if this has already been addressed sonewhere, but do we know if the very recent CNFB changes in the Axe FW 19.xx will definitely be coming to the FM3 also ?

Ben

Just my own hunch, but I am thinking the next Beta---given how fast it was rolled out for the III. :)

Just my own hunch, but I am thinking the next Beta---given how fast it was rolled out for the III. :)
That would be my guess. Given how excited he is about it (he even put his name in it), I doubt he would want to use anything else once he gets the kinks worked out. I think this happened with the 4.0 update; it went from 3.4 beta directly to 4.0 or something to that effect (maybe it was the Axe III; in any case, it went from XX.Xb directly to XX+1). I haven't tried it with the Axe Fx III yet, but that's on my to-do list for tomorrow :)

Also, one thing I don't quite understand. Why are so many new "Types" in the Plex Delay and Multitap Delay for example? Shouldn't this have been put into the Block Library category? It's a bit confusing/cluttered this way. It used to be that each Type had its own soundscape to work from, but now there are many "Types" within the same soundscape, no?

Can anyone comment on this?

Btw the new Maxon 808 is by far my favorite Drive now. It's really amazing! Been in tonal heaven lately driving it into the Super Reverb!

Also, one thing I don't quite understand. Why are so many new "Types" in the Plex Delay and Multitap Delay for example? Shouldn't this have been put into the Block Library category? It's a bit confusing/cluttered this way. It used to be that each Type had its own soundscape to work from, but now there are many "Types" within the same soundscape, no?
Yeah I think that change was made quite early in the AxeFx 3 firmware updates, IIRC. It also applies to the flanger, chorus, delay, phaser blocks (off of the top of my head). Presumably (mere speculation) in the interest of making things "less confusing".

I agree, I'd much prefer a clear separation between an algorithm and settings; but that wasn't the case even before the changes (eg, IIRC, the chorus block never distinguished things like that).

Finally got around to loading Beta 5.

I hooked up to the 4-12 and Matrix gt1000fx, booted up 4.0 and played (loudly) for about an hour, then loaded the Beta.

Right off the bat it sounded more “real”, whatever you guys did is great, ya closing that gap between modeling and tube power amp even more.
The new Modern setting in the GTE Block works great as well.

Its also nice to Globally set to “Recto Large” and forget about it.

I‘m thinking there’s a slight volume loss, but it might be my imagination.

Yeah I think that change was made quite early in the AxeFx 3 firmware updates, IIRC. It also applies to the flanger, chorus, delay, phaser blocks (off of the top of my head). Presumably (mere speculation) in the interest of making things "less confusing".

I agree, I'd much prefer a clear separation between an algorithm and settings; but that wasn't the case even before the changes (eg, IIRC, the chorus block never distinguished things like that).

Ah ok I see. Yeah I would definitely prefer having the algorithms separate from the settings category (which would be more at home in the block library imo).

Thanks!

I installed the beta last night and played with my regular rig (mostly a 5153 Green 100W with a Tone of Kings or two, and a few other toys). It all sounded great (didn't notice any difference, really).

The one thing I was hoping for is that the "Improved CPU performance of the Reverb block" would mean a tiny bit more of a breathing room, CPU-wise. But that did not materialize -- it still hovers around 82%, often triggering a temporary "WARNING"... Sure, I'm already using an "Economy London Plate with 4 Eco Density", but shunting it brings CPU down to around 69% to 70%...

One good thing I tried is the Maxoff 808... It's the best screamer, for my setup....

Anyway, good job, Fractal! And thanks for the continuing support.

Hi all.

Ben
eventually he is busy playing with the power amp and adding 10 new power tube options at the moment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom