FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 3

Exactly, mine sounds like a hard drive reading/writing data or the click of a relay in an amp when you switch channels. Maybe I’m paranoid, but I’m either going to downgrade to 3.02 or just play my Axe until this is fixed.
Yes exactly that sound with 4 beta 3 (like a hard drive or relay). Went down to 4 beta 2 and this sound is gone. Really weird... Will wait before going back to 4 beta 3

I posted that video and to me it sounded more like a hard drive writing a lot of data to me. Maybe it comes across different on YouTube. Dealing with basic tech repairs over the last 20 years I’ve never heard a fan sound like that on any type of electronics. Hopefully I’m wrong though cause I don’t think there are any other moving parts unless there are relays inside.
I don’t want get into any heated debate, but I just listened with good headphones and if that isn’t the sound of a small plastic fan blade rubbing against something else than I‘m deaf. It doesn’t remind me of a hard drive or relays at all. The fact that it’s a constant perfectly repetitive sound is a give away. Finally, I would be overjoyed if all this issue was is an unstable fan. Easy fix in the grand scheme of things.

If my FM3 wasn’t so new I would be willing to take a peak inside to see what type and how the fan(s) are oriented, etc. That noise is too deliberate to not want to take a look. I just don’t want to void the warranty for no reason.

Edit:
I went and listened over and over and when the mic goes towards the back I’ll give you it is a bit complex, but I’m also getting some Doppler effect with pitch as you move around. I suppose I keep coming to the thought there’s very few moving parts in these things. Anyway, like I said I could be totally wrong. Take it with a grain of salt and certainly do what makes you most comfortable. I know I wouldn’t want to ruin my unit over beta testing.✌️

Last edited:
Exactly, mine sounds like a hard drive reading/writing data or the click of a relay in an amp when you switch channels. Maybe I’m paranoid, but I’m either going to downgrade to 3.02 or just play my Axe until this is fixed.
Did you listen to the video that was posted? Is that same sound you’re describing.

From what I understand there is one 3 core processor for the audio and one dedicated processor for graphics. Does anyone know for certain if each has a fan over it or is there just one fan creating cross ventilation?

Guys, this is a bug that involves hardware.
They deleted the link to download this release.

I suggest you all to downgrade to beta 2 and just wait. There is no hurry, we already have Cygnus.

I know, I’m pessimistic, but I don’t want to damage my unit.

From what I understand there is one 3 core processor for the audio and one dedicated processor for graphics. Does anyone know for certain if each has a fan over it or is there just one fan creating cross ventilation?
The processor is dual core DSP a third core is Arm Cortex.
There is only one fan (40mm) in the enclosure and it isn't installed over DSP chip.. You can see its grill underneath. It exhaust hot air through the bottom of the unit out.

@BryantP can you confirm this?

"Guys, this is a bug that involves hardware.

I suggest you all to downgrade to beta 2 and just wait. There is no hurry, we already have Cygnus."

@BryantP can you confirm this?

"Guys, this is a bug that involves hardware.

I suggest you all to downgrade to beta 2 and just wait. There is no hurry, we already have Cygnus."
I don’t want to creat panic, but if the link has been removed there is a reason… I don’t want to stress the fan or the temperature.

Removed? What are you talking about? It's still here and works fine. Please don't create some false assumptions. If the fan is running and the unit keeps cool, it's ok. Worse case would be fan not running and the cpu overheating.

Removed? What are you talking about? It's still here and works fine. Please don't create some false assumptions. If the fan is running and the unit keeps cool, it's ok. Worse case would be fan not running and the cpu overheating.
Refresh page 1 of this thread

F29A8543-7318-4BFF-8C0D-37D0D6FC4832.jpeg

Actually a few posts up :) and of course again, please don't panic. I left the unit sitting for hours with a high cpu demanding preset and the FM3 stayed cool. So it's maybe just some small issue in the firmware that activates it accidentally.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/4p0/fm3_dsp_rel_4p00_beta_3.zip
mmm....no, it is the same build, not a new one (check the date of the file):

• Update link: 6/4/2021 5:30pm
  • Edited post (with link removed): 6/4/2021 7:59pm
I downloaded the exact same you linked the 4th of June when it was released, and this one you linked is the same they removed in the first post.

I think that until a new link will be posted in the first post where they stated that the firmware was deleted I won't try it again. There is a reason if they deleted the link. If it was 100% safe it would stay there.

I don't want to panic, but I want to be sure it is ok. So I'll wait a new link to be posted there.

Thanks anyway.

Post #1 of this thread. The link for the FW was removed.

Should we go back to the first beta of FW 4? My unit works fine with Beta 3 but I do not want to risk a damaged unit 😀 very confusing and we are all speculating...could someone from the FAS crew and/or beta testers explain whats happened and caused the fan problems? I know IT IS beta fw but no one wants his unit to get damaged 😐

Reactions: HIO
I really do not think it could damage the device but it's your decision to install Beta and if you're in doubt, simply roll back to stable version.

Should we go back to the first beta of FW 4? My unit works fine with Beta 3 but I do not want to risk a damaged unit 😀 very confusing and we are all speculating...could someone from the FAS crew and/or beta testers explain whats happened and caused the fan problems? I know IT IS beta fw but no one wants his unit to get damaged 😐
I’m waiting for a statement from FAS. Mines. Working fine so why downgrade in my opinion without being told toooo

Just wondering what the safe firmware would be for gigs coming up? I had hoped it would be sorted out by now. I am running 4.01b now nd all seems to be well? I have one of the first non headphones units. I should be safe loading the new factory presets. I see that some of the heavy weights around hear are gigging 4.0X? What is the safest Cygnus load?

I should note that I usually use Copy 1 to Output 2 for FOH? Now what?

Back
Top Bottom