FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 1

We need a dumb question, so here goes:
Is there any way to tell WHICH version of the 3.xx Beta I had INSTALLED before going to this 4 beta?
I usually save FW's back a few revisions-like, I still have FW2.xx etc . They take up NO SPACE so that's what I do.
I have all the 3.xx beta's but I do not know if I installed them all or just the first 1 or 2.

Like I said, dumb question. would be nice though. yes I should keep a record but hindsight is, well you know.
Thanks

We need a dumb question, so here goes:
Is there any way to tell WHICH version of the 3.xx Beta I had INSTALLED before going to this 4 beta?
I usually save FW's back a few revisions-like, I still have FW2.xx etc . They take up NO SPACE so that's what I do.
I have all the 3.xx beta's but I do not know if I installed them all or just the first 1 or 2.

Like I said, dumb question. would be nice though. yes I should keep a record but hindsight is, well you know.
Thanks
If you normally do a backup before each time you update, I suppose you can just go by the most recent modified date on your backup files and restore from there? Or are you just curious what FW you happened to be in before the 4b?

You say your attempting to learn something here....and that your playing Devils Advocate all in good fun.
But then you did all the talking- using witty analogies and logical scenarios to refute what your being told-
after it was already made clear that this is just one of those things that can defy common sense and logic.
Then you took off without thanking anyone for their answers to you.

If anyone here cared to bother they could give you endless and far better examples of how for instance a real SuperLead amp when played thru a particular cab with GreenBacks can become almost virtually a different amp when played thru a particular cab with LynchBacks.
Right down to even feeling and playing totally different- not just sound filtering.
In that regard - changing cabs can be as powerful as a pedal- or even better in some ways.
Its the simplest and most effective way I know of to go from Deep Purple to Judas Priest- aside from using a Fractal product.

I would not be one bit surprised if even in the digital realm Fractal Audio cannot change the vast impact that cab/speaker IR selection can have on an amp model.

Last edited:
Anyone has the "sparkling cracking sound" on some amps (like FAS Crunch - 5153 BLUE 50 - didnt find any other for now ) ?

It seems like the sound card / high CPU issue but its not so , because other AMPS did non do it within the same preset.

(listen attached file)

I also "reset" the amp block but nothing changes .
I had this with the Austin Buddy Gold Pack and he explained how to correct it over in the "Preset Exchange" forum.
Basically remove some of the "CS*" from the Controllers - Modifiers. If you look at that forum maybe it will fix it for you. Maybe it is a different issue but sounds the same as when I had the crackling.

Last edited:
If you normally do a backup before each time you update, I suppose you can just go by the most recent modified date on your backup files and restore from there? Or are you just curious what FW you happened to be in before the 4b?
well actually my last backup was May 9, 2021. Normally I would backup before a FW update, but, for some reason this time I didn't.
Now when I look at the dates on the 3.xx betas, they are all in March\April. So I have no idea which one I actually ended with.
Not that big a deal....more a curiosity thing....Thanks
Edit: I am thinking of rolling back to previous FW, but don't know which one it is.

But I am thinking 3p02 because I do NOT have a copy of the 303 beta on my PC or laptop. which I would have to have if I did update to it.
Hope that makes sense. Yeah, sure it does Frank.....:)

Last edited:
I had this with the Austin Buddy Gold Pack and he explained how to correct it over in the "Preset Exchange" forum.
Basically remove some of the "CS*" from the Controllers - Modifiers. If you look at that forum maybe it will fix it for you. Maybe it is a different issue but sounds the same as when I had the crackling.
Yes indeed. It fixed it for me.

I believe @la noise ’s point is that the amp model selection has a greater impact on the tone than the IR. I happen to agree with that. It’s just an opinion either way.

Yup. It's a fun discussion, if taken light-heartedly. Mostly. :)

In a real world scenario, with an actual amp, the tone of a Marshall
Superlead (just to take one example) is still
going to be present regardless of cab or speaker choice. 2 x 12.
Closed-back. Open back. 4 x 12. 1 x 15. No speaker will take the
Marshall out of the Marshall. There is still a Marshall tonality there
that is going to present itself.

Of course, some choices suit the amp more than others? Not even I would argue otherwise. :)

You say your attempting to learn something here....and that your playing Devils Advocate all in good fun.
But then you did all the talking using witty analogies and logical scenarios to refute what your being told-
after it was already made clear that this is just one of those things that can defy common sense and logic.
Then you took off without thanking anyone for their answers to you.

If anyone here cared to bother they could give you endless and far better examples of how for instance a real SuperLead amp when played thru a particular cab with GreenBacks can become almost virtually a different amp when played thru a particular cab with LynchBacks.
Right down to even feeling and playing totally different- not just sound filtering.
In that regard - changing cabs can be as powerful as pedal- or even better in some ways.
Its the simplest and most effective way I know of to go from Deep Purple to Judas Priest- aside from using a Fractal product.

I would not be one bit surprised if even in the digital realm Fractal Audio cannot change the vast impact that cab/speaker IR selection can have on an amp model.
It's all in good fun man. I am not trying to be the latest heretic around here. :)

Heck, I think we can listen and absorb another person's perspectives and still not accept their
conclusions.

Cheers! 🍻

Thanks, they tell me the same in the facebook group, i Hope @Admin M@ Will fix It in the final version 😁

Of course, some choices suit the amp more than others? Not even I would argue otherwise. :)

Right on.
And that inherent sound signature that still remains after some extreme cab /speaker changes is the 15% of the original tone that you initially took issue with.
In a real world scenario with you blind folded and some creative confusion -I’m betting the house that you can be fooled into thinking your playing a different amp after certain cab and speaker swaps considering more amps than not strive for that modded Marshall tonality that you would be using as your primary reference in that particular case.
Im my opinion you can indeed take the Marshall out a of Marshall to a large degree or render a CarolAnn unrecognizable for example-
and do it all with speakers and cabs.
But we can go around in circles for days here and it’s already been done by those far more knowledgable about what really goes on.
And I do believe you are correct that a 95% difference is far fetched for an IR swap- I just find it difficult to ever under estimate the impact that a cab/speaker swap can have on some amps. It can be absurd and beyond belief.

Thx. Have a great one.

Last edited:

Totally in good fun and very subjective, so certainly no clear answer. I agree with a previous post that the amp definitely impacts the feel to a high degree, no matter what cab you use. At the end of the day, they are all pieces to the same puzzle and we all see (hear) that puzzle a little bit differently, so it is a moot point. How crazy is it though that for around $1000 you can have access to so many different pieces to arrange to your liking. What a time to be a guitar player.

Is there a clear timeline for when v4.00 moves from beta to...er...not beta? I keep hearing these wonderful things about Cygnus but I don't have time to spend tweaking all of my current presets, only to have to do that again later down the line! :) Thank you to all you heroes ironing out bugs though!

Is the low output of Output 2 a universal thing? Is there anyone who isn't having the issue? Curious if I should bring mic cables to rehearsal and use Output 1 until the next FW update...

Is there a clear timeline for when v4.00 moves from beta to...er...not beta? I keep hearing these wonderful things about Cygnus but I don't have time to spend tweaking all of my current presets, only to have to do that again later down the line! :) Thank you to all you heroes ironing out bugs though!
Firstly no, but secondly you won't have to tweak twice.

Beta means there maybe some bugs, when there's an official release there will be the same core version with the bugs fixed - no double tweaking needed, if you only want to run official (and honestly, barring a massive gig tomorrow I don't know why that would be the case) you'll have a wait an indeterminate period of time

Back
Top Bottom