FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 1

@teddis Nope, never used this function. I run two routes to feed FOH and a real cab/power amp separately.
I leveled all my amps/presets to hit 0db at out 2 and about -18db at out 1.
Setup: Out 1 level +4 dBu and out 2 mode copy l r and boost/pad with 6db, output 2 copy none

Isn't that a bit like saying the filter when I make my coffee has more impact on "taste" than the beans used??

I mean, it is the last thing that lovely brown liquid goes through before it hits my lips, right? :)

Great example! Coffee filters are as flavorless as possible to not alter the taste of your coffee. Anyone with a reusable filter can tell you how their coffee tastes when they haven’t given the filter a good cleaning in a while, or the pot itself.

If you make a filter out of dog shit, you can put 1000$ coffee beans in it and it’ll still taste like dog shit.

Fractal will never limit or remove the ability to dial in what you want. You just have to meet them halfway and take the time to actual dial in what you want.

I love Austin’s presets and think it’s awesome that a 3rd party market exist, but the one downside of it I see regularly is that it takes some of the learning process away from users. I get it for the guys who just want to plug in and play without worrying about that stuff and guitar is just a hobby, but if your whole world is playing guitar and your obsessive about your tone, it’s kind of daft to not take the time and learn how to use this thing. It’s like being a painter and being given a palette that has every color in the world, but you’ve got to combine them to come up with your own shades and saying, “Fuck this, I’m not going to paint this picture because they didn’t mix the colors for me.”
I like the beta. But I agree learn to dial in the tone you like. It’s a great learning experience

When I had my HX Stomp, I bought 10 packs from York Audio. I’d go through and test every mic and speaker variation. Every. One. Same lick hundreds of times. My family luuuuved me for doing that.

So now I’m into the FM3 and Cygnus. That’s probably a good 2-3k irs to check out. Looks like I’m on the couch for a while....:)

Sean Meredith-Jones

Anyone has the "sparkling cracking sound" on some amps (like FAS Crunch - 5153 BLUE 50 - didnt find any other for now ) ?

It seems like the sound card / high CPU issue but its not so , because other AMPS did non do it within the same preset.

(listen attached file)

I also "reset" the amp block but nothing changes .
Yes. I haven't had time to dig into the issue, assumed someone else would post and fix, but I wondered as well.

When I had my HX Stomp, I bought 10 packs from York Audio. I’d go through and test every mic and speaker variation. Every. One. Same lick hundreds of times. My family luuuuved me for doing that.

So now I’m into the FM3 and Cygnus. That’s probably a good 2-3k irs to check out. Looks like I’m on the couch for a while....:)

Sean Meredith-Jones
Good thing is you can put a looper in your preset, let it play and change cabs like crazy - problem is you'll get ear fatigue pretty fast

Reactions: smj
@teddis I played around ... so, out 2 clips like hell if i just use an unedited Ares preset.
If i dial it down to around -11db from 0db (out 2 block), of course it does not clip, but yeah, the level is damn to low.
Hope this will be fixed ..

Last edited:
Seems two different things going on with OUT2
1) If using Copy 1 - > 2 = Low volume
2) OUT 2 only block, Clips at stock value, needs reduction to avoid clip.

Sorry if this is a stupid question - but in FM3-Edit Tweed Deluxe and Tweed Deluxe Jumped are the same amp?

Fractal will never limit or remove the ability to dial in what you want. You just have to meet them halfway and take the time to actual dial in what you want.

I love Austin’s presets and think it’s awesome that a 3rd party market exist, but the one downside of it I see regularly is that it takes some of the learning process away from users. I get it for the guys who just want to plug in and play without worrying about that stuff and guitar is just a hobby, but if your whole world is playing guitar and your obsessive about your tone, it’s kind of daft to not take the time and learn how to use this thing. It’s like being a painter and being given a palette that has every color in the world, but you’ve got to combine them to come up with your own shades and saying, “Fuck this, I’m not going to paint this picture because they didn’t mix the colors for me.”
I see what you are saying, but I got this to simplify the entire process and effort. Getting the right guitar and pickups, into the right od pedal, to hit the preamp just right at a low enough but high enough volume to get the power tubes pushing, (not to mention fx loop), then putting the right mic in the perfect spot, then get the board EQ right FOH and monitors. You get one variable wrong, and your tone sucks, and you go home with sore back.

Im better off and happier getting something close and tweaking. I have tried to build my own presets from scratch, but just like my tube rig, there are so many combinations of variables to navigate it just hasnt worked for me (yet). I am thrilled to be able to tweak pretty much anything I want, but the learning curve is steep.

Sorry if this is a stupid question - but in FM3-Edit Tweed Deluxe and Tweed Deluxe Jumped are the same amp?
Yes, sort-of.

One has inputs jumpered, the other uses just the bright/instrument input, but provides the normal/microphone channel volume knob so that the interactive nature of the amp's three knobs can be accessed.

Using the trick described in the video cleans the amp up a bit, especially in the low mids, and yields a clean, compressed tone that beats the black panel '60s Fenders, IMHO, which can be turned into wonderful compressed mid crunch with a twist of a knob.

Back
Top Bottom