FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 1

EDIT: The change doesn't seem to stick when I go in and check a preset's cab settings on the unit. Sorry guys, thought I was on to something. @AlGrenadine - is this pending an update, perhaps?

Just discovered something else way cool about FracTool - a workaround to not being able to specify UltraRes for cabs in FM3 Edit at the moment. Yes, you can do them one at a time onboard the unit.....or....

See this screenshot for how to make Batch Changes in the CAB1 block for all presets. Yes, you have to technically do it twice - once for the "IR Len 1" Parameter, then again for IR Len 2, but it beats the heck out of having to do all of them one at a time for everything! Hope this helps! Oh - and go donate to @AlGrenadine if you haven't already, at least to buy the dude a coffee, I just did! :

1621708067544.png

Last edited:
It seems the Gate (both input and block) is different.

I can’t cut squeal without also cutting off notes, no matter what I try.

Thats new.

Installing this firmware update does not update all amp block parameters in existing presets, including Negative Feedback and other p.a. controls.

So if you want to make sure that you hear the amp model as intended, reset the Amp block.
I did but then discovered that the eq controls on the D-30 (my main amp for 50% of my blues band) did not work on the UI nor on the old Edit. Maybe I should retry now the new Edit is there ?

EDIT: The change doesn't seem to stick when I go in and check a preset's cab settings on the unit. Sorry guys, thought I was on to something. @AlGrenadine - is this pending an update, perhaps?

Just discovered something else way cool about FracTool - a workaround to not being able to specify UltraRes for cabs in FM3 Edit at the moment. Yes, you can do them one at a time onboard the unit.....or....

See this screenshot for how to make Batch Changes in the CAB1 block for all presets. Yes, you have to technically do it twice - once for the "IR Len 1" Parameter, then again for IR Len 2, but it beats the heck out of having to do all of them one at a time for everything! Hope this helps! Oh - and go donate to @AlGrenadine if you haven't already, at least to buy the dude a coffee, I just did! :

View attachment 83633
Well, shoot - the change doesn't seem to stick when I go in and check a preset's cab settings on the unit. Sorry guys, thought I was on to something. Maybe the next update will take care of this. At least I tried!

Is anyone else having issues with USB playback? I get about 1 second of audio and then it drops out completely until I disconnect and reconnect, then the same thing happens. This was happening on the 3.03 beta also. I'm using an iPhone on the latest iOS, connected with a Lightning to USB adapter, playing music from iTunes. The iPhone shows that audio is routed to the FM3 and continues playing after the audio drops on the FM3. This was working pretty well before 3.03b.
worked flawless here this morning

View attachment 83633
FracTool doesn't support 4.00 beta yet

I am confused why the FM3 firmware update and FM3 Edit updates are so seamless and easy.
It's kind of scaring me, to be honest. This is not "normal." :)
Not sure if you own or have friends that own a line6 but you could always go do one of those updates
to put things back in to perspective

love line6 great guys but damn the update links are like reading a black and white newpaper

Firmware updates generally won’t change your stored presets values. There have been some cases where a specific parameter gets defaulted across all presets but that’s rare. In this case, Cygnus is a major overhaul of the modeling, so many parameters in your amp block (that you’ve likely never tweaked) are at a setting that isn’t the new “default” or correct setting for that amp. Resetting the amp block will fix it right up and put everything to the intended values.

If you want to do it automatically across all presets, use the 3rd party FracTool.
Probably this is needed cause some of the patches need deep rework. Will do as adviced; make a copy and then redo all amp settings from scratch.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...lution_or_length:_UltraRes.2C_HiRes.2C_Normal

If an IR is compatible you can select UltraRes in the Cab block.

It does not automatically happen. UltraRes uses more CPU and on the FM3 sometimes that is needed for other blocks.

In a band context it’s difficult to hear a difference between Normal and UltraRes. There’s too much going on to discern the difference, especially for people who don’t know what to listen to, such as the audience. The only time I hear the difference is in a solo track, or when setting up a preset and listening very carefully, so I turned it off on all my normal presets.

You said "If an IR is compatible you can select UltraRes in the Cab block. It does not automatically happen" What do I need to do for it to happen? I loaded a cab from York audio pack (they supposed to be UltraRes) from the cab picker, where is the switch in FM3-edit?

Ok. I thinkI found a setting on the unit itself. I went to Layout, highlighted the Cab block with NAV arrows, pressed Edit button. Now in Cabinet menu. In Cabs Page I scrolled to the very bottom there is an option for IR Length STANDARD or ULTRA-RES. its that it?

Dear Fractal, I wasn't expecting a Cygnus beta update this weekend - Thank you very much.

After I had loaded my main preset (Shiver Clean, AC20 EF86Treb, Friedmann BE V3) I wasn't particularly enthusiastic at first, but now that I have reset and dialt in the amps it is amazing (the nice weather outside is now forgotten...) Thank you so much for this update and your hard work!

I would like to address the bug in the Studio FB / FF 2 compressors:
The knee types hard and soft do not work (at most they are good for shooting loudspeakers (infernal distortion), test Studio FB2 with knee on soft ...!) The default type medium works!

You said "If an IR is compatible you can select UltraRes in the Cab block. It does not automatically happen" What do I need to do for it to happen? I loaded a cab from York audio pack (they supposed to be UltraRes) from the cab picker, where is the switch in FM3-edit?

Ok. I thinkI found a setting on the unit itself. I went to Layout, highlighted the Cab block with NAV arrows, pressed Edit button. Now in Cabinet menu. In Cabs Page I scrolled to the very bottom there is an option for IR Length STANDARD or ULTRA-RES. its that it?
Yes

The Fractal team have done a lot of work to make upgrades and backups easy and smoooooove....

The Peavey TubeFex I had almost half a lifetime ago had a chip you had to pry out of its socket and replace. I just came across the beta chip in my electronics parts when packing up to move earlier this year. Soooo nice to be able to update via software without turning a screwdriver and physically removing/replacing parts....
It seems like the Digitech 2101 (with pre-amp tubes) rack processor was the same way, I remember swapping chips to upgrade to the 2120 Artist version.

• Added: Cabinet UltraRes support.
Do I need to purchase this from Fractal or are there some UltraRes cabs included on the FM3?

ML Vintage Combos UltraRes Cab Pack Bundle (on sale, 60% off)​

Currently I have York Audio YA DXVB 112 pack. Are thees comparable to UltraRes?

The York Audio files will convert to UltraRes when you load them. I have both and I prefer the Yorks!

Back
Top Bottom