FM3 Firmware Version 3.03 beta 1

At this point it's starting to look like the FM3 is the black sheep of the family since the FX III seems to be getting all the Cygnus love! :(

What if...by chance.. they just can’t get Cygnus ported to the FM3?? Seems like a lot to squeeze into such a small little unit.

Don’t mind me, I tend to be a worse case scenario thinker 🤷🏼‍♂️

What if...by chance.. they just can’t get Cygnus ported to the FM3?? Seems like a lot to squeeze into such a small little unit.

Don’t mind me, I tend to be a worse case scenario thinker 🤷🏼‍♂️
Pretty sure that the amp portion of the FM3 is the least likely to run into power constraints. I thought it had a cpu core to itself, but I could be mistaken.

Edit - per the wiki, it only shares a core with the delays.

I guess a lot of people here don't understand a business model of a company. If Mercedes has the S class and Maybach, those get the best hw and sw and new features. The C and E class get it maybe one generation or facelift later or even never, because they are smaller and you can't fit a V12 inside the C class body. This is the same with AXEIII and FM3. First the flagship, then the smaller one if it fits. Just get used to it. If Fractal puts out Cygnus for FM3 in half a year, I'd be absolutely happy. This we've seen happen with the drive modelling algorithms. But even now the FM3 is a beast!

At this point it's starting to look like the FM3 is the black sheep of the family since the FX III seems to be getting all the Cygnus love! :(
The flagship unit gets the updates first. It has always been that way, and it makes sense. You want the fastest updates? Spend the money on the AxeIII and you will get them. The fact that we get these free updates at all, and at a very regular clip I might add, is a massive bonus for being a Fractal customer. When Cygnus arrives, we will basically be getting a new product for free. That is a pretty damn generous thing for Cliff and crew to do. Calm yourself, friend - life is already good here in the Fractal universe.

Fractal has limited resources (all companies do). It makes more sense to get Cygnus stable on the AxeFX and then port a stable version over than to manage two parallel builds that will need bug fixes. Focus the team on one goal. Once that's done, change the focus to the next one.

I'm interested in Cygnus but willing to wait. I'm enjoying my FM3 and don't feel it's lacking.

Axe-Fx-III will tend to have more detail-invested, deeply technical pro users. FM3 will tend to have more users that just want a great sounding box that works.

Not saying users of either type are exclusive to one or the other, just what is likely most predominant.

Myself, I've been sliding to the right on that scale over the years. Now I'm pretty content to wait for all the serious nerds to find and fix all the bugs first, so when it's done I can enjoy all the goodness with fewer distractions.

Cliff, et al, have said repeatedly that Cygnus is coming for the FM3. Any fixes and optimizations to the Cygnus modeling the Axe is currently receiving will be present when Cygnus comes to the FM3. I'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand.
Because that doesn't necessarily mean all the features will be ported to the FM3.

Because that doesn't necessarily mean all the features will be ported to the FM3.
Cygnus IS the feature. Cygnus is different from the new drive block, pitch block, UltraRes, etc. The fixes and improvements in the new Cygnus beta are fixes and improvements, not new features.

The way I see it, if you've owned an FM3 since FW 2.0 and haven't been impressed with the amp modeling as it compares to other platforms (esp since FW 3.0) then you probably aren't going to become a believer over night with Cygnus. For my $999 nothing compares. If anything as others have already commented Cygnus ruined their presets because the algorithms are too close to the real imperfections that are tube amps and working with them in general.

Back
Top Bottom