FM3 Firmware Version 3.03 beta 1

The firmware for Cygnus will be a different animal than the Cygnus on the III, right? That's why we all were on a wait list for a year because of the difference between Ares for the two?
The Ares modeling was the same. The initial release of the FM-3 was missing UltraRes, the new drive block, etc. which have since been added. Currently, the new pitch block is missing. None of those things have anything to do with the actual amp modeling, so I'm reasonably certain there will be no difference in Cygnus between the two units.

The Ares modeling was the same. The initial release of the FM-3 was missing UltraRes, the new drive block, etc. which have since been added. Currently, the new pitch block is missing. None of those things have anything to do with the actual amp modeling, so I'm reasonably certain there will be no difference in Cygnus between the two units.
Agreed. If it was different they wouldn’t have called it Ares on both platforms, especially after telling us that it was the same. Now that the FM3 has UltraRes and the new drive blocks, when Cygnus drops we should be back to full parity, except for the few CPU limitations.

It’ll be nice to export presets from the FM3 and import them on the FX3 and have them sound identical again.

Cygnus Beta is taking longer than expected.
Perhaps it's taking exactly as long as Fractal planned, and your expectations were unreasonable?

Seriously, some people get all wound up about these firmware releases, and when will they happen, and why not sooner, and let's make uneducated guesses about the inner workings of the company. Your time is better spent playing guitar.

Perhaps it's taking exactly as long as Fractal planned, and your expectations were unreasonable?

Seriously, some people get all wound up about these firmware releases, and when will they happen, and why not sooner, and let's make uneducated guesses about the inner workings of the company. Your time is better spent playing guitar.
I’m not underestimating the amount of work necessary to port the code, but months ago they announced they were porting Cygnus to FM3.

Axe III got some betas and a final release, FM3 got the new Drive Block and UltraRes IR, that is quite an achievement.

I’m not talking just about me, and I’m not complaining, but everybody that follows Cygnus history and have only an FM3, is very hyped about the new modeling algorithms.

As I said, maybe the are working on something else to put FM3 even closer to AX3, like an improved Virtual Capo.

I’m not underestimating the amount of work necessary to port the code, but months ago they announced they were porting Cygnus to FM3.

Axe III got some betas and a final release, FM3 got the new Drive Block and UltraRes IR, that is quite an achievement.

I’m not talking just about me, and I’m not complaining, but everybody that follows Cygnus history and have only an FM3, is very hyped about the new modeling algorithms.

As I said, maybe the are working on something else, to put FM3 even closer to AX3, like an improved Virtual Capo.
I think they want to have a stable release w no bugs first before starting down a whole new path and Cygnus platform
3.03 will hopefully see a release end of week

As I said, maybe the are working on something else, to put FM3 even closer to AX3, like an improved Virtual Capo.

They were working on something else. Porting Drive blocks and UltraRes to FM3, and finalizing Cygnus on the III.

I think they want to have a stable release w no bugs first before starting down a whole new path and Cygnus platform
3.03 will hopefully see a release end of week
I always agreed they must have a final release before a beta Cygnus.
Some people may not jump on the beta bandwagon and must have a bug free final Ares to rely upon. Some may not like Cygnus and decide to stay on Ares (that is already awesome).

Hear! Hear! (rapping my cane on the floor in agreement)

People who haven't worked in software development have no ideas how code is moved from one architecture to another, and assume it's just dropped into place and it works perfectly. That's rarely the case, especially when the code is being shoehorned into a smaller and more constrained system that doesn't have the same amount of memory or CPU power as its original host machine. Getting Cygnus to fit in the FM3, after having had the more expansive AF3 to play in, is going to be a good example of how talented Fractal's developers are. Cliff has said about the FM3 that he won't sacrifice sound quality just to have features, so I'm sure they're tweaking and rewriting to squeeze every bit of performance out of the code that sits in the Cygnus final on the FX3 and it'll release on the FM3 when they're happy with it.

When will that be? Nobody knows, and Fractal has given no hints I've seen except to say Cygnus development will follow the release of Ares 3.03. It's better to be zen-like and enjoy the present system because 3.03b on FM3 sounds very good.

Last edited:
Hear! Hear! (rapping my cane on the floor in agreement)

People who haven't worked in software development have no ideas how code is moved from one architecture to another, and assume it's just dropped into place and it works perfectly. That's rarely the case, especially when the code is being shoehorned into a smaller and more constrained system that doesn't have the same amount of memory or CPU power as its original host machine. Getting Cygnus to fit in the FM3, after having had the more expansive AF3 to play in, is going to be a good example of how talented Fractal's developers are. Cliff has said about the FM3 that he won't sacrifice sound quality just to have features, so I'm sure they're tweaking and rewriting to squeeze every bit of performance out of the code that sits in the Cygnus final on the FX3 and it'll release on the FM3 when they're happy with it.

When will that be? Nobody knows, and Fractal has given no hints I've seen except to say Cygnus development will follow the release of Ares 3.03. It's better to be zen-like and enjoy the present system because 3.03b on FM3 sounds very good.
Yes and that's why the FM3 get an optimized Cygnus with better coding 😉

The firmware for Cygnus will be a different animal than the Cygnus on the III, right? That's why we all were on a wait list for a year because of the difference between Ares for the two?
Time spent waiting on the waitlist was because of production issues, not because of differences in modeling.

Ok, they announced it months ago, that doesn't mean they started working on it that same day.

This is exactly how they told us these releases would work. New modeling happens on Axe III first, then gets ported to FM3. Same happened with Ares: Axe III got a proper release before the floor model gets a beta.

Your comment about the Drive block and UltraRes exposes the same pattern... those features were RELEASED on Axe III before FM3 got those features in beta.

Makes sense to me... why would they want two simultaneous beta releases for the same feature? To get the same bugs reported twice?

As I said, maybe the are working on something else to put FM3 even closer to AX3, like an improved Virtual Capo.
This is what I mean by "uneducated guesses about the inner workings of the company". Why not let Fractal worry about their software development schedule, and you can just go play guitar?

Ok, they announced it months ago, that doesn't mean they started working on it that same day.

This is exactly how they told us these releases would work. New modeling happens on Axe III first, then gets ported to FM3. Same happened with Ares: Axe III got a proper release before the floor model gets a beta.

Your comment about the Drive block and UltraRes exposes the same pattern... those features were RELEASED on Axe III before FM3 got those features in beta.

Makes sense to me... why would they want two simultaneous beta releases for the same feature? To get the same bugs reported twice?

This is what I mean by "uneducated guesses about the inner workings of the company". Why not let Fractal worry about their software development schedule, and you can just go play guitar?
Just to set things right: FAS will take the time they need to do i and I was not making pressure on them, I don't even have the right to do so.

Let's not turn this into a borring discussion like always happens on the internet.

Im out of this, and still waiting for Cygnus. 🤞

In the meanwhile, my guitar and keyboards are having a hard playing time, like they always do. :)

Well I ordered my fm3 the day I heard drive and ultra res were added but I’m not budging on a fc6 until Cygnus drops. Will my threat be enough to make drop it before my fm3 gets here Monday.
Check back Tuesday.

you call me unreasonable and I say magic is real. Just ask any wizard you see and he will tell you the same so maybe you are the unreasonable ones. Especially Unix guy. Comon dude

Back
Top Bottom