FM3 Firmware Version 3.03 beta 1

Believe me, I’m just as surprised haha. Things have changed significantly for me since I decided to “just play.” My main preset is the Atomica Hi through a 5153 4x12 (mix #1 I think) with a mono tape delay at 470ms. That’s pretty much my secret sauce and it sounds freakin’ sweet. I do have an AC20 preset I made for cleaner songs that is really inspiring too, but I rarely venture from preset 0 that I call “Fat Dad” haha.

Can we be both kind of content and still awfully damn curious?? ;)

If so, I may be in that place right now. Truly digging be able to so
conveniently access my default tones (yeah, I may be one of those
guys who has a why of dialing in different amp models to sound
oddly similar :) ), while also enjoying tones/amps/presets that
beg me to play differently and explore a little. Definitely not
going to say, "Best of both worlds," though. :)

Super stoked to try out some different presets tonight at rehearsal.
Still may end up in the Cornfed, Plexi 100, Bogner, Atomica Hi, 5153
territory when all is said and done, though.

Have those Angle/Engl.... and Archon, Triple Crown presets ready to
test out.

What are you rocking for guitars these days?? :)

I think a final version of 3.03 has to be released before Cygnus.
I thought that to but maybe they just steamrolled on
remember AdminM said a while back there are not many issues in
this beta perhaps they fixed the out 2 issues a while back

Is the Pitch Shifter on FXIII superior to a Drop pedal? Just wondering what to expect when they actually port it over to FM3.
I have the III and the Drop. Didn't A/B them, but the virtual capo on the III impresses me to the point of not using the Drop. I believe it was verified that it has less latency than the Drop. Either way, I'm very happy with it.

I think a final version of 3.03 has to be released before Cygnus.
I'd say it's more like "probably". There's no "has to". They can do whatever they like. Nitpick over words :)

Actually, I was half expecting the Cygnus firmware for Axe-Fx III to be 1.0 instead of 16.0. Way back when Ares first came out for the II, they called it it Ares 1.0 instead of iterating up to 18 or whatever number they had it up to at that point.

Last edited:
Can we be both kind of content and still awfully damn curious?? ;)

If so, I may be in that place right now. Truly digging be able to so
conveniently access my default tones (yeah, I may be one of those
guys who has a why of dialing in different amp models to sound
oddly similar :) ), while also enjoying tones/amps/presets that
beg me to play differently and explore a little. Definitely not
going to say, "Best of both worlds," though. :)

Super stoked to try out some different presets tonight at rehearsal.
Still may end up in the Cornfed, Plexi 100, Bogner, Atomica Hi, 5153
territory when all is said and done, though.

Have those Angle/Engl.... and Archon, Triple Crown presets ready to
test out.

What are you rocking for guitars these days?? :)
Still rocking a PRS CE22 as my main gigging guitar. I’ve also got a Nashville tele that I put Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounds in that I really dig. Hoping to someday have a Les Paul in the stable again, but priorities have changed quite a bit as I’m sure they do with everyone haha

@BryantP @rglr

If at all possible I'd highly prefer a final bug-free Ares release for those of is who like Ares and/or don't want to have to update presets for Cygnus changes.
I'm pretty sure I saw a post from Matt saying that the next release will be v3.0.3 (non-beta) so would be a bug-fixed release of Ares. I would suspect that we'll see v4.0 beta after that with Cygnus. Hopefully not far to go for both releases now :cool:

Okay so it appears my presets are still there? So I guess that I don't have to restore?
Why do you think a firmware update would delete your presets/settings?
The backup is recommended since something may go wrong during the update, and then it is good to have a backup :)

I finally updated to Beta 1... FM3 sounds even better... Changed the Cabs to Ultra-Res and man sounds great. I didn’t have any bugs as far as the stripes looking faded. I don’t use Out 2 so can’t comment on that. Also I have one of the first batch of the FM3’s without the headphone Jack and used a Mac to update of that makes any difference. Also used Austin Buddy presets with his OMG9 setup. Looking forward to Cygnus!!

Why do you think a firmware update would delete your presets/settings?
The backup is recommended since something may go wrong during the update, and then it is good to have a backup :)
Why? Because I am new to Fractal and this device. I don't know what I don't know. You make it sound like it's obvious that I should just know this and I guess everything.

Why? Because I am new to Fractal and this device. I don't know what I don't know. You make it sound like it's obvious that I should just know this and I guess everything.
Woah groovy, I sense some passive aggressiveness here. This was just a neutral question, followed by why it was a good idea. Every other stuff you put in these words were not there.
But if you are new to the device, I also recommend the manual, since it's well written and covers (despite other stuff) the firmware update process.

It's like updating your phone operating system. The OS changes but your apps are still there for you to use - that's what a firmware is like... it changes the way it processes things internally but keeps your presets, cabs, etc, as they are.
Everything is forward compatible but not necessarily backward compatible. That is a preset made in a newer version could be not understood by an older firmware.
To us this seem obvious already and you'll be there soon (once you do it a couple of times).
Remember always save your presets/cabs somewhere where you know exactly on which firmware (I do it in folder named after the firmware version) they worked on.

It's like updating your phone operating system. The OS changes but your apps are still there for you to use - that's what a firmware is like... it changes the way it processes things internally but keeps your presets, cabs, etc, as they are.
Everything is forward compatible but not necessarily backward compatible. That is a preset made in a newer version could be not understood by an older firmware.
To us this seem obvious already and you'll be there soon (once you do it a couple of times).
Remember always save your presets/cabs somewhere where you know exactly on which firmware (I do it in folder named after the firmware version) they worked on.
Thank you, I appreciate it!

I honestly didn't know what to expect and there's lots of emphasis on backing up. I reformatted hard drives through the years and sometimes you restore the hard drive with a back up and other times, you put out back piece by piece. I wasn't sure what I was getting into and just was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Thank you, I appreciate it!

I honestly didn't know what to expect and there's lots of emphasis on backing up. I reformatted hard drives through the years and sometimes you restore out with a back up and other times, you put out back piece by piece. I wasn't sure what I was getting into and just was pleasantly surprised.
I think the emphasis on backing up is because sometimes when there's an update (like the upcoming cygnus, or even this current beta with the new drives) the algorithms are changed and may require radical changes to your presets. Some people may not have time to re-build their presets before a show/practice or whatever and if the update changes your patches too drastically, people start to panic and it's usually better to just restore from your backup to get you through your next gig and then revisit the FW upgrade after when you have the time to re-work things.

As for the responses you got, keep in mind that there's also many times where someone if from a different country and things just get lost in translation occasionally. Not saying this is the case here, but I've witnessed such things and generally people's intent isn't on insulting others.

I’ve got a gig tomorrow night and I’ll be using my FM3/FC6 with 3.03 beta 1. I haven’t experienced any of the issues some have reported, but I have only been using 1 preset with 6 scenes for my gigs, so maybe that has something to do with things running “smoothly.” (As I jinx myself :rolleyes:)

Has anyone else been gigging 3.03 beta 1 without issue? (I’m using out1 to FOH and out2 to my Headrush FRFR112)

I’ve got a gig tomorrow night and I’ll be using my FM3/FC6 with 3.03 beta 1. I haven’t experienced any of the issues some have reported, but I have only been using 1 preset with 6 scenes for my gigs, so maybe that has something to do with things running “smoothly.” (As I jinx myself :rolleyes:)

Has anyone else been gigging 3.03 beta 1 without issue? (I’m using out1 to FOH and out2 to my Headrush FRFR112)
I have used 3.03 Beta 1 for church since it came out with no problems. You should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom