FM3 Firmware Version 3.03 beta 1

For those with issues, are your FM3's newer?

I literally received mine this week. Hesitating to update
Then don't update- because it's not an update. It's beta firmware.
If you just got it this week go with the STABLE previous firmware version (likely what was shipped on it). You have enough to figure out without wondering if something is a bug or just something new to you.
Go have fun with it!

FM3 firmware version 3.03 beta 1 is available for download here:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/3p0/fm3_dsp_rel_3p03_beta_1.zip

A new version of FM3-Edit is required for this release:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-03-03.171884/

NOTE: This is a beta release because there have been some heavy changes. This beta does not introduce any new known bugs. Please give it a test at your convenience and we will move it to release as soon as possible.

Release Notes:
  • Added: Cab Block UltraRes support.
  • Added new Drive block modeling and types. This block is now in sync with Axe-Fx III.
  • Added: “Bank Access” parameter to the Bank Inc/Dec footswitch functions. When set to ALL, the settings for Bank Lower Limit and Bank Upper Limit are IGNORED by default. If you wish to enable these limits, you must set “Bank Access” to “LIMITED” for all Bank Inc and Bank Dec switches in your layouts.
  • Fixed: Power on holding the HOME key will now prevent the startup preset from loading.
  • Fixed: Power on holding the EDIT key will now prevent system parameters from loading.
  • Fixed: OUT2 volume issues.
  • Fixed: Footswitches are now resistant to an issue that was causing freezing.
  • Fixed: Default FC Layouts are now loaded correctly when you use “Reset System Parameters”.
  • Fixed: The PRESETS menu page now correctly displays the active preset.
  • Fixed: Pedal calibration will now work correctly for pedals set as “Tuner on Heel Down.”
  • Fixed: Inserting Pitch block into a high CPU grid will not hang up the GUI.
  • Fixed: Footswitch preset functions will now honor the global “Default Scene” setting.
  • USB has been reworked to reduce issues experienced by some customers.
Attention! For those of us that have had many long months (or more) of USB artifact noise, this firmware has fixed it!!! The last release note almost flys in under the radar, but this is a total game changer for those of us with problems in the past. Thank you so much for figuring this out, and solving it! I can now USB input in Logic with whisper clarity, no artifacts, and route output through my 3rd party interface (Apogee Element). Awesome update!

Last edited:
If you just got it this week go with the STABLE previous firmware version (likely what was shipped on it). You have enough to figure out without wondering if something is a bug or just something new to you.
Go have fun with it!
Mine is from late Summer 2020 with headphone Out.

I got the unresponsive Out2 issue.

For those with issues, are your FM3's newer?

I literally received mine this week. Hesitating to update

Go have fun with it!

I know. I've been here for 6 years. I know how this works. ;)

In that case you haven't installed the latest version of the editor. See OP.
I've attempted multiple times to install this latest version of Editor on to my Mac per your instructions. I have rebooted my computer. Each time, FM3 Edit shows version 3.02 and, as before, none of the updates appear. Everything remains as it was under 3.02. I assume that I'm still doing something wrong, but I'm at a loss. If I'm also required to download this: FM3 firmware version 3.03 beta 1 is available for download here:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/3p0/fm3_dsp_rel_3p03_beta_1.zip -- then I have done that too, but when I attempt to open it there's no app that will allow me to do so -- apparently, because it's a .syx file ????

I've attempted multiple times to install this latest version of Editor on to my Mac per your instructions. I have rebooted my computer. Each time, FM3 Edit shows version 3.02 and, as before, none of the updates appear. Everything remains as it was under 3.02. I assume that I'm still doing something wrong, but I'm at a loss. If I'm also required to download this: FM3 firmware version 3.03 beta 1 is available for download here:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/3p0/fm3_dsp_rel_3p03_beta_1.zip -- then I have done that too, but when I attempt to open it there's no app that will allow me to do so -- apparently, because it's a .syx file ????

The editor update and the firmware are two separate things but must both be installed. The firmware (.syx) must be installed using Fractal-Bot. If this all not familiar to you, I'd advise you to stay away from the beta and wait for the final version.

Read the chapter Firmware Updates in the FM3 Owners Manual.

The editor update and the firmware are two separate things but must both be installed. The firmware (.syx) must be installed using Fractal-Bot. If this all not familiar to you, I'd advise you to stay away from the beta and wait for the final version.

Read the chapter Firmware Updates in the FM3 Owners Manual.
Ah. Done. Thanks Yek. (Guess I'd better up my dose of Prevagen)

BUG

When a footswitch is assigned to action Bank+1/Bank-1, and preset load to first or current, the bank increment is done right, and the preset loaded is done right, but the presets of the bank flashes as the bank were not the active bank.
Same bug, in different situation:
  • First preset of bank 10 is the active preset. First ring is the brighter led. Any ring is flashing, Everything is ok.
  • I go to bank 11. All rings are flashing and no ring is the brightest. Everything ok.
  • I go back to bank 10. First ring led is the brighter one. ALL rings are flashing, included the active preset.

I'm using 6 presets per bank. I change between the 6 presets with the FC6.

Last edited:
Same bug, but with different explanation:
  • First preset of bank 10 is the active preset. First ring is the brighter led. Any ring is flashing, Everything is ok.
  • I go to bank 11. All rings are flashing and no ring is the brightest. Everything ok.
  • I go back to bank 10. First ring led is the brighter one. ALL rings are flashing, included the active preset.

I'm using 6 presets per bank. I change between the 6 presets with the FC6.
When you start moving through the banks, the system flashes the LEDs to let you know that it’s expecting you to make a selection. When you move back to the bank you started from, the system doesn’t know if you’re stopping on that bank or just passing through. So it keeps flashing the LEDs. That’s its way of saying, “Make a selection, so I don’t have to wonder what you’re thinking anymore.”

Many thanks Fractal / rglr.

Huge / awesome update !!

Just out of sheer pure curiosity - I know Cygnus is currently being ported for the FM3 - but do you think we will see the new Axe 3 Pitch Block ported over - or is that realistically a "CPU bridge too-far" :)

Thanks again for this huge update,
Ben
as Per Cliff on TGP "I am making no promises but Ray (dev) has successfully ported the "pitch detector" to the Fm3 the last I heard,
a good pitch detector is the key to having great pitch shifting " or something to that effect

Thanks to Fractal for always updating and improving! For now, I'll stay on 3.01 and wait for some of the bugs to be squashed before updating. But I'm looking forward to all the great updates. Thanks also to everyone testing the beta, which will make things better for everyone.

When you start moving through the banks, the system flashes the LEDs to let you know that it’s expecting you to make a selection. When you move back to the bank you started from, the system doesn’t know if you’re stopping on that bank or just passing through. So it keeps flashing the LEDs. That’s its way of saying, “Make a selection, so I don’t have to wonder what you’re thinking anymore.”
it is also much better than old school , amp modelling bank switching , anyone remember those? , when it did not wait for you to make a selection it just audibly scrolled through banks like tuning a radio

This is the release note of previous stable firmware 3.02, MAR 10, 2021
"FC: Preset/Select in Bank switches will now flash after a bank change until you make a selection. This will not happen if your Bank switch is set to automatically load the FIRST or CURRENT preset in the new bank."

Now if you load the first or current preset in the new bank, all rings are flashing. That's a bug for sure. It's what I explained in a previous post.

If my solitary neuron works fine, I remember that in the previous firmware any ring flashes if you are in the active bank. It doesn't matter you leave the active bank. If you go back to the active preset, nothing flashes.

Anyway, if you are right, and this is the correct behaviour, I will make a wish asking for stop flashing in the active bank. It makes no sense to me.

This is the release note of previous stable firmware 3.02, MAR 10, 2021
"FC: Preset/Select in Bank switches will now flash after a bank change until you make a selection. This will not happen if your Bank switch is set to automatically load the FIRST or CURRENT preset in the new bank."

Now if you load the first or current preset in the new bank, all rings are flashing. That's a bug for sure. It's what I explained in a previous post.

If my solitary neuron works fine, I remember that in the previous firmware any ring flashes if you are in the active bank. It doesn't matter you leave the active bank. If you go back to the active preset, nothing flashes.

Anyway, if you are right, and this is the correct behaviour, I will make a wish asking for stop flashing in the active bank. It makes no sense to me.
Good catch. I missed that.

I've so far encountered a couple of bugs:

1. Switch 1 became unresponsive. Its display would change if changing layouts but its switch would not do anything. Restarting fixed this.
2. Input 2 had a ton of artifact noise just with a guitar plugged into it. I installed 3.02 back and it fixed it. Then I reinstalled 3.03 and now the issue did not happen again.

Back
Top Bottom