FM3 Firmware Version 3.03 beta 1

I've never gotten along with (particularly the Mesa-Boogie amps and several boutique models)
My first “boutique” amp was a Mesa-Boogie MkIIb. I wasn’t that impressed with the MkIV model but started playing with it during the Cygnus beta and came up with a preset and cab that sounded very much like my old amp. One of the later betas made it sound a little different so I need to go back and tweak it... it’s probably a different EV speaker cab or mic choice but then it’ll be golden again.

Don’t flame me here, but I have to wonder how many leaps forward in tone there can possibly be left. In other words, the fractal modeling is already so realistic, how much better can it get? It this point I’m saying updates must be incremental, granular improvements. And yet, people are saying Cygnus is a huge improvement. I mean, if we are measuring in .00001 increments than a 1% jump is huge I guess 🤣
I’m not complaining, I think it’s great that they keep making additions and improvements. I’m just trying to keep my expectations in check.

Don’t flame me here, but I have to wonder how many leaps forward in tone there can possibly be left. In other words, the fractal modeling is already so realistic, how much better can it get? It this point I’m saying updates must be incremental, granular improvements. And yet, people are saying Cygnus is a huge improvement. I mean, if we are measuring in .00001 increments than a 1% jump is huge I guess 🤣
I’m not complaining, I think it’s great that they keep making additions and improvements. I’m just trying to keep my expectations in check.
I know people like you and even they admit it’s a huge improvement

I hope Austin Buddy is part of the secret beta testers so he can update his Live FM3 presets as well.
I was thinking about this. I use quite a few presets from my live gold pack. Really don’t want those to sound drastically different in a negative way.

Fractal:

"a curve or geometric figure, each part of which has the same statistical character as the whole. Fractals are useful in modeling structures (such as eroded coastlines or snowflakes) in which similar patterns recur at progressively smaller scales, and in describing partly random or chaotic phenomena such as crystal growth, fluid turbulence, and galaxy formation."

Kind of cool how it is in the name. :)

The small scale changes and granular improvements can have a massive impact on the whole.
In isolation you wouldn't think this would be possible, but the nature of a "fractal" is that those
seemingly "slight" changes over time can result in a cumulative difference that is significant and
meaningful when talking outcomes.

Sorry for being such a nerd. ;)

The next step in realism is tube failures.

Just wait. You'll see :)

It really is a pretty amazing advancement in the amp model sound and feel

While I think we are definitely entering an age where the law of diminishing returns is starting to apply in the current modeling paradigm, that doesn't mean that improvements are not noticeable. Sometimes even the smallest changes can have outsized influences on outcomes. And just because one is beginning to reach the top of the curve doesn't mean one should stop improving.

I have not heard Cygnus, and won't until I can put it on my FM3, so as always, I reserve the right to be wrong.

Even the improvement of Ultra-Res IRs in 3.03 beta already makes a big difference in sound to me ..
So how would it be with optimized AMP-modeling with Cygnus...

My experience with Axe-Fx 2 modeling updates were that they were "oh, I did not know what I was missing" type stuff. People make a lot of hyperbole how these updates are game changing, huge etc but in reality they never are in my experience. They are totally audible improvements, but not massive. Everyone agrees that the FM3 sounds great as it is and when Cygnus arrives people will say "huh, it does sound better now!"

We have been in the diminishing returns department for years now. Is an Axe-Fx 3 better than a 2? Absolutely, but it's not some massive jump in the amp modeling department. To me the big improvements in modeling are happening in other areas.

Back
Top Bottom