FM3+FC6 vs FM9?

The Fractal website isn't the same as where you purchase...

@Admin M@ can probably get that fixed.
Agreed. I guess I should say the “websites” offer contradictory views on the state of inventory.

That page links to the shop with the promise that the FM9 is “now available with no wait.” One of the pages is out of date.

Last edited:
I like the ability to separate the FM3 and the FC6 in live applications. I only use the 6 buttons on the FC6 while it sits under my mic. I use the FM3 as the brains in my backline: further away from the beer swillers...

Does anyone ever find themselves running out of cpu on their FM3?

I rarely have any issues, but I mostly run traditional signal chains that don’t have anything freaky going on. You can max it out pretty quickly if you try to create a kitchen sink preset, but that may be a thing of the past if gapless switching finds its way to the FM3.

Hi. I'll sell my AX8, but I'm still not sure if I'll get the FM3 or the FM9.
Can you answer some questions to help me?
1. Do you use two amps at once with the FM9? Or one amp is enough?
2. FM3 can use only one amp, but can I use two Ir at the same time? Two cabs?
3. If you use only the same amp with the same cab / IR: the FM3 and FM9 will sound the same?
Thanks.

1a) Yes, if you want to, but one is often fine. A common use of dual amps was to allow gapless switching from one to the other, but this is now native in FM3
1b) Subjective, but yes
2a) Yes
2b) Yes
3) Subjectively yes - FM9 has Secret Sauce

You're welcome!

:cool:

Hi. I'll sell my AX8, but I'm still not sure if I'll get the FM3 or the FM9.
Can you answer some questions to help me?
1. Do you use two amps at once with the FM9? Or one amp is enough?
2. FM3 can use only one amp, but can I use two Ir at the same time? Two cabs?
3. If you use only the same amp with the same cab / IR: the FM3 and FM9 will sound the same?
Thanks.

1. I have the FM3. Use one amp, sounds great, it’s enough.
2. 2 IR’s yes
3. Dunno from 1st hand experience but people who own multiple units say they sound the same.

If you’re still on the fence, the new firmware was a game changer for the FM3. Gapless preset switching, and overall cpu usage went down. It’s nuts what they managed to do. The main thing with this is say you have a basic preset amp cab combo because that’s the guts of it. You can add effects to that of course, but some effects use a lot of cpu. But now I can take my basic preset and use the Plex or multi delay on one preset, and have other combinations of effects with my basic amp cab combo. And can switch between those without a gap. That changes everything on the FM3. I have a FC-6 already so I might not upgrade for awhile now. But if I was starting out I’d want more switches, so would buy the FM9. Because the FM3 + FC6 price isn’t far from a FM9.

If you're mostly a home player, or have very simple sounds the FM3 is enough.

I had the fm3 and switched to the fm9 turbo. I really, really like the dual amp setup. It helps nailing those bluesy tones but also removes any audio gap when switching between two different amps (as channel switching very, very briefly mutes amp sound). I like having lots of possibilities when playing in a band so I like having multiple sounds and effects a available in a preset. On my main preset I max out the fm9 turbo.

They sound pretty much the same now. Big difference is CPU, and limitations of some blocks and inputs/outputs/switches. If you need a cut and dry single amp setup with very little effects only need 2 outs and not complex switching, then the FM3 is great for that. If you want to use 2 amps at once with 3 outs use more effects and need more switching options, then the FM9 is great for that. If you need everything you can get, go for broke with the Af3.

Back
Top Bottom