FM3+FC6 vs FM9?

Ledvedder

Inspired
What would I lose using an FM3 with an FC-6, over using an FM9? Besides the ability to use dual amps and cabs?

An FM9 has approx double the processing power of an FM3. You could run higher quality reverbs, etc., plus more "stuff" within a preset. There are a handful of extra capabilities - eg the dual amps.

There are more physical ins and outs. The physical footprint would be about the same as an FM3+FC6, and the price would be similar. All in all, the FM9 is better value if you intended to use FM3 +FC6 all the time, as you effectively get the extra horsepower for not much uplift in cost.

Last edited:
Having both setups, the FM9 is the way to go.
Although the FM3T alone is still a great unit!

I'd use 2 expression pedals at most (wah and volume). Although I've been considering the use of an expression pedal for input gain into delays and Reverb.

Reactions: rog
It also adds expression pedal/footswitch jacks - and with the FM3+FC6 there are even more total inputs for expression pedals/footswitches than with the FM9.

Whether those are important depends on the user.
Good point. I only use two pedals, but the additional ports might indeed be important to others. Although it’s not the most common use, an FC could be used as a remote controller at another stage location (or even off stage) and those control ports would be mighty important then!

I have both the FM3+FC6 and the FM9.

It kind of depends on what you value most, a flexible and easily portable unit that, while it doesn't have as much CPU, definitely has what it needs, and allows you to resize its footprint on a stage or in your luggage, versus the added CPU and the all-in-one design.

While the FM9 allows higher resolution for the reverbs and such, on stage you'll have a really hard time noticing that difference.

Physically, the FM3+FC6 takes up a lot less room and is easier to carry if you use something like the Studio Slips FM3+FC6 bag because they're stacked vertically, making it a lot easier to maneuver through crowds and hallways. I have their bag for the FM9, and, while it fits perfectly, the additional length of the FM9 makes it a bit unwieldy when moving, especially when moving quickly. I am afraid to look for the places I've hit the walls and doors moving my FM9 through the house when returning from playing, but I've definitely heard the collisions.

There's always tradeoffs, and they're both excellent systems to use. Tell us more about your needs, the situations you play in, and whether you're traveling or at home, and whether you need more flexibility for stage placement or in your presets.

Definite hit in processing power. Smaller footprint if you stick to the FM. The FC I have is set up to control amp channels and guitar synth stuff remotely. I like having both ends of the FAS spectrum vs. the one in the middle. Though it's certainly awesome on its own if you're running it and a powered speaker. That's the goldilocks all modeling rig I'd say. YMMV.

I mostly play in bars, my band's rehearsal space (singer's garage), and at home. I'm not sure I'd need all of the FM9's processing power, but it's nice that it's there if I need it. I had an FM9 before, but had to sell it unfortunately. It is a bit bigger than what I'd prefer. But with that said, I still have the Temple Audio board and cabling that that I used with the FM9. Then I tried a Line 6 HX Stomp XL, but missed the amps available in the Fractal stuff, so I sold it.

How much is lost not having the impedance options on the FM3?

How much is lost not having the impedance options on the FM3?
If you never reduced the input impedance on the input block and just left it at the default 1Mohm (very likely), then pretty much nothing. Some drive pedal models can lower the input impedance when they’re first in the chain for a more authentic behavior but I never use this capability.

If you never reduced the input impedance on the input block and just left it at the default 1Mohm (very likely), then pretty much nothing. Some drive pedal models can lower the input impedance when they’re first in the chain for a more authentic behavior but I never use this capability.
Since the FM3 doesn't have this he probably has never done it ;)

@Ledvedder - see page 6 here for a little detail:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/fas-guides/Fractal-Audio-Blocks-Guide.pdf

Personally, I've rarely used it in 10+ years of Fractal use...

With the FM3, I just worry about the ease of using it live. Currently, I use an HX Effects with my real amp. On most patches, I have 4 snapshots (clean, rhythm, effected, and lead).

For me it was mostly buying a bedside unit (FM3) as I've been using the AFX3T live for some time. I just didn't want to have to go upstairs and fire up the studio everytime I wanted to use the Fractal.

I don't think I'd ever take the AFX3 out of the studio again since the FM3 can handle gigs.

I have used the 2 amp deal in the AFX3 but even now it's not needed. You'd do fine w a FM3 unless you just have to have all the bells for certain things.

Back
Top Bottom