FM3 FAQ

Ahh, that whats the M and S stand for I looked for that....
By muting it....you don't remove the CAB block correct? So no CPU savings ?

Ahh, that whats the M and S stand for I looked for that....
By muting it....you don't remove the CAB block correct? So no CPU savings ?
Muting it disables the slot which saves CPU. it can still "point" to a cab there, but muting it is what disables it.

I just toggled both......maybe 1% change in CPU ?? not worth it i guess for savings....
where is there a description off the M and S CAB unctions ?

I just toggled both......maybe 1% change in CPU ?? not worth it i guess for savings....
where is there a description off the M and S CAB unctions ?
In the owners manual.

Yes on the FM3, 1 vs 2 cabs used is minimal. Which is great!

Hey all ,

I am having some issues , I had an Axe 3 so I am familiar and I know it been said that it sounds and feels the same but I am noticing differences in feel and sound
and I am sure its user error

First thing is all my User cabs . the commercial ones just don't sound that great , they sound really one dimensional thats the Justin Yorks the ML
as well . factory cabs are actually faring better .

There is something in the hi end that almost seems a bit brittle or harsh a little metallic, that was not present in my 3 , maybe its the IR, Maybe a setting off somewhere

second issue Is the feel . I have tried a bunch of amps but the almost feel like they have a gate on them , or lack sustain . when playing legato lines they are stiff almost like some latency , but I do not have a daw connected although I am use FM3 edit so its open .

I did switch from -10 to +4 db .and the red is lighting but never stays solid , is it possible I am clipping somewhere ??

any ideas

Last night did notice some “fizzle” on hi gain amps. I put this down to fatigue, using headphones through a mixer. .....I have to try again. I am only using Factory Cabs.

Last edited:
Hey all ,

I am having some issues , I had an Axe 3 so I am familiar and I know it been said that it sounds and feels the same but I am noticing differences in feel and sound

First thing is all my User cabs . the commercial ones just don't sound that great , they sound really one dimensional thats the Justin Yorks the ML

There is something in the hi end that almost seems a bit brittle or harsh a little metallic, that was not present in my 3 , maybe its the IR, Maybe a setting off somewhere

second issue Is the feel . I have tried a bunch of amps but the almost feel like they have a gate on them , or lack sustain . when playing legato lines they are stiff almost like some latency , but I do not have a daw connected although I am use FM3 edit so its open .

I did switch from -10 to +4 db .and the red is lighting but never stays solid , is it possible I am clipping somewhere ??

any ideas

I don't know what's happening here, but Imma brainstorm and talk outta my butt a bit. There's a thing I noticed in my Axe FX 2:
When you have Ultrares mode set on the cab block, it sounds drastically different between the normal res mode, though the IR is set the same.
It just doesn't sound right. It seems, "Normal res" IR's don't sound right on Ultrares cab mode. "Ultra res" IR's don't sound right on Normal res cab mode.

Considering the Cab block has been nerfed in FM3 atm, this is what you may be experiencing...
To test it, use an external IR loader. Or run the FM3 amp block through the Axe FX 3.

I don't know what's happening here, but Imma brainstorm and talk outta my butt a bit. There's a thing I noticed in my Axe FX 2:
When you have Ultrares mode set on the cab block, it sounds drastically different between the normal res mode, though the IR is set the same.
It just doesn't sound right. It seems, "Normal res" IR's don't sound right on Ultrares cab mode. "Ultra res" IR's don't sound right on Normal res cab mode.

Considering the Cab block has been nerfed in FM3 atm, this is what you may be experiencing...

could be depends on what ML and York did to their IRs
Hopefully FM3 runs ultrares soon and it a moot point
at least then I will be able to tell if its the cab block

Hey all ,

any ideas
Start a new thread, post a preset. Hard to help you based on descriptions and the FAQ thread is entirely the wrong place to ask for this kind of help.

so cool that it is finally available...thinking of changing my helix with a FM3 + FC6....the limitation of the CPU on the helix is a bit frustrating...never tried a fractal unit and I think the big one is a bit too much for me since I mostly play live with it...

Hi! I'm wanting to use the FM3 in the 4-cable-method configuration, and have a question about buffering. I read FAQ (thanks btw, awesome post!) and it talks about there already being a built-in buffer, my question is does that work for going to/from the effects loop? I'm planning on running a 30'-35' loop from the front of stage (pedalboard is just going to have a wireless, FM3, and expression pedal) to my amp's frontend and effects loop (BE100 Deluxe). My first impulse was to get a bunch of DI's (probably overkill), my second is to have 2 buffers (to FX return, and leaving the FX send on the BE100 D), but of course NONE of those things would be ideal. Any light shed on the subject would be amazingly appreciated, and I will instruct everyone in my home to do a circular golf-clap in your honor.

@mikeransom

I use one of these for my loop even though some stuff is already buffered.
Figure worse case it's not going to hurt anything.

jlhxplnbou94cqwr45t4.jpg

@mikeransom

I use one of these for my loop even though some stuff is already buffered.
Figure worse case it's not going to hurt anything.

jlhxplnbou94cqwr45t4.jpg

Cool, thanks for your input! I'm disinclined to add stuff unnecessarily out of the concern that adding extra stuff to my rig multiplies the number of connections, cables, and PSU's that need to be troubleshot when things go wrong. I just need to know factually if adding a buffer is necessary at all when doing the 4 cable method with 30'+ long instrument cables, and if so, how many and where. Thanks again!

Cool, thanks for your input! I'm disinclined to add stuff unnecessarily out of the concern that adding extra stuff to my rig multiplies the number of connections, cables, and PSU's that need to be troubleshot when things go wrong. I just need to know factually if adding a buffer is necessary at all when doing the 4 cable method with 30'+ long instrument cables, and if so, how many and where. Thanks again!

Got it. They also make this one which is only 2 connections if you find you need one.

mrimhq65kjyhohjvwies.jpg

Back
Top Bottom