FM3 DSP Power Check?

DJD100

Power User
Hi all, quick question!

I'm considering getting a FM3 to replace my Axe II for stage use (hoping to downsize from the rack etc), so...

a) I need to run the following in a single preset (need seamless automated scene switching and perfect tails etc)...

1 Wah
1 Trem
1 Amp
2 Delays (simple mono delays)
2 GEQ
1 Multi-Delay
1 Plex-Delay
1 Pitchshift (1 Channel of automated IIntelligent Harmony, the other Detune)
2 Vol/Pan
2 Mixers
1 Cab (with Preamp type = None, with two IR's, with the IR's switchable per Scene via Channels, for Speaker Cab IR and Acoustic IR)
1 FX Loop for stage cab feed
1 Send
1 Return
...so, can a FM3 do this?

Has anyone tried?

If yes, what's the CPU hit (and any chance it will it except MIDI from Ableton LIVE for scene changes, audio level, tempo, and pitchshift harmony control etc reliably at this CPU level)?

b) Also, does the Looper reliably sync to either MIDI Sync or Tempo, and quantize it's record and playback in and out to bar lines?
If yes, add a Looper to the above LOL!

c) Can I use the three footswitches to control an external Looper in LIVE, i.e. can they be set up in a Layout where they only do Control Switch MIDI without doing anything else to the FM3?

TIA!

Last edited:
The FM3 and Axe Fx III don't have mics in the Cab block.

The Looper doesn't sync to midi but it can quantize to Tempo which can sync to midi beat clock.

The 3 switches can be set in a layout where they send CS Midi to control an external Looper.

I don't have an FM3... But I'm sure others will chime in.

I believe @chris posted a list of CPU use by block/type some time ago but not sure how current it is.

I just dropped all those blocks onto the grid and the CPU reads 75% when processing audio - using plex shift takes it to 79% so that's getting right to the limit.

Since you have 4 channels in each block, and since the amp block features input EQ and a graphic EQ that can be set at various places in the chain (including the input) you could probably get this down by rolling several functions into one (eg delay/MTD channels and types). Without knowing the specifics of your setup it seems feasible.

The FM3 and Axe Fx III don't have mics in the Cab block.

The Looper doesn't sync to midi but it can quantize to Tempo which can sync to midi beat clock.

The 3 switches can be set in a layout where they send CS Midi to control an external Looper.

I don't have an FM3... But I'm sure others will chime in.

I believe @chris posted a list of CPU use by block/type some time ago but not sure how current it is.

Thank you Unix-Guy, much appreciated!

I just dropped all those blocks onto the grid and the CPU reads 75% when processing audio - using plex shift takes it to 79% so that's getting right to the limit.

Since you have 4 channels in each block, and since the amp block features input EQ and a graphic EQ that can be set at various places in the chain (including the input) you could probably get this down by rolling several functions into one (eg delay/MTD channels and types). Without knowing the specifics of your setup it seems feasible.
Thanks Leon, much appreciated!

The GEQ is for the Acoustic path, which at times runs in parallel with the Electric path (piezo etc), so it needs to be there. I could use a PEQ as well if that lessens the load?

My Axe II runs ok up to the upper 80's CPU- wise (typically I run it at 86% or so without issue, while it's getting MIDI automation etc), I wonder if the FM3 will be stable up there?

Sounds promising though, and I can probably lose a delay if need be, with channels etc assuming the tails would be pristine?

Thanks again...

Thanks again to Unix Guy and Leon Todd, ordered so I'm going to give the FM3 a go at duplicating my Axe II presets!

Looking forward to the 7lb FM3 working in place of my current 40lb rolling rack.

Good news all, I'm in under the wire with my complex gigging preset, and it's averaging 79% DSP usage (no red "WARNING" LOL!), plus the FM3 is plenty responsive to all the MIDI it gets from Ableton LIVE during the show, i.e. MIDI CC's for Scenes, Channels, Volumes (cross-fading Acoustic and Electric paths and Fades), and Tempo via Tap CC instead of MBC etc (lessening the MIDI data strain). Cross-fades, Channel switching, and Delay tails are all perfect.

On top of all that, I can control LIVE's Looper plugin for live looping a couple of times a show too, ALL IN 7lbs that fits easily in my old Corvette (along with three guitar bags and a guitar stand), WOO HOO!

Also, big props for the Performance Pages, AWESOME (won't be needing an external EQ anymore like I used with the Axe II, with and without the tube preamps)!

For what I'm doing, edge-of-breakup thru pushed mid-gain, Cygnus is a huge leap forward over Ares IMO, LOVE IT!

Things to do...

a) Due to the automation run through out the whole show, need to check for any problems etc.

b) Check with Al as to FracPad being updated for the FM3 (I'm currently on Android 10, can go to 11 if need be Al?).

Thanks again to everyone!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom