FM3 direct into cab for low level apartment playing?

mtlin

Inspired
Is it possible to use the FM3 straight into, for example, the speaker of a Fender combo or a 2x12 cab for very low level apartment practice? Would the headphone jack, FX send, or output 1 offer the most volume? If this is possible, what kind of cable should I run? Thanks!

I have my doubts that would be possible, but why not just get a small low-wattage power amp pedal? A Mooer Baby Bomb or an EHX Magnum or something like that…

Is it possible to use the FM3 straight into, for example, the speaker of a Fender combo or a 2x12 cab for very low level apartment practice? Would the headphone jack, FX send, or output 1 offer the most volume? If this is possible, what kind of cable should I run? Thanks!
The FM3 has no amp, you would need the Fender combo amp to hear anything. Any of the outputs into the combo amp FX return would work. If you dont have an FX loop, just use the Fm3 for drives\FX going into the front of the combo amp.

No - you need a power amp to drive a guitar speaker even minimally - you could route FM3 output to the fx return of a combo amp to use the combo's power section only to drive the combo speaker and use fm3 output volume to regulate loudness. If u do this keep power amp modelling amp on to compensate for very little power amp modelling generated by the combo's power section at low volume.

Or just use 1 or better 2 small active frfr monitor speakers to play with aceptable sound on room level. They will even deliver useful results to practice. As above stated there is only a small driver in the fm3 that is capable to fire headphones but not enough power to drive. Real speaker

Yes, you can do that. But the volume will be very low, perhaps to the point of unusable.

I’d recommend using some small, good quality studio monitors and/or headphones. I use headphones the vast majority of the time, and occasionally my FRFR cabs with the volume turned down.

It’s important to remember that volume is important to getting a good sound to overcome the Fletcher-Munson Effect. Building presets can be done at low volume, but adjusting the EQ needs to be louder, close to stage volume, otherwise the lows, mids and highs will be out of proportion.

From Preset Levels…
You probably want to match the (output) levels of all your presets. If you want to do this by ear, don't do it at low volume level and don't use headphones. The reason: you may think that your high-gain preset needs to be turned down compared to your clean preset. But when playing live, that high-gain preset is compressed (has no peaks) while the clean is tone is very dynamic. Really, the only proved way to match levels by ear is to do this at gig level, and preferable with the band playing or using a backing track.

You can use a guitar amp for home use but you will need to adjust your sound if you move to live use.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I enjoy the FM3 with headphones (not really with my monitors--DMAX Audio Super Cubes, but they're great for mixing--as much). The idea was just to get the amp in the room sound once in a while. I don't need to get my pant leg flapping but sometimes its nice to hear a janky old Oxford speaker rattling a pine cabinet without the sonic signature of a dynamic mic pressed up close to it. I guess I'll use a power amp when I want that.

Back
Top Bottom