Fm3 dead after blown fuse

EricBic

Hello friends,

I was playing a wedding gig last night when a fuse at the venue blew. Once we replaced the fuse all our equipment turned back on except my FM3, its seems to be completely dead. Thought id get some advice here before contacting G66. Is it worth opening it up and having a look inside? My warranty has expired.

Thanks!
/Eric

There is a varistor on the power supply board, which most likely broke and the fuse is noted in the photo. If you are familiar with radio electronics, you can try to fix it yourself
My board looks a little different, I'm guessing the green component is the varistor? Mine has no number on it. Is yours a NTC 3d-9?PXL_20240630_161855145.jpg

My board looks a little different, I'm guessing the green component is the varistor? Mine has no number on it. Is yours a NTC 3d-9?View attachment 142320
Yes, your varistor is green. If the varistor is visually intact, most likely everything is fine with it; usually, with a strong voltage surge, it simply explodes, since its resistance under such circumstances causes a short circuit to it; when the varistor is destroyed, the circuit breaks and thereby protects everything comes after the varistor. Have you replaced the fuse? Is the device working?

Yes, your varistor is green. If the varistor is visually intact, most likely everything is fine with it; usually, with a strong voltage surge, it simply explodes, since its resistance under such circumstances causes a short circuit to it; when the varistor is destroyed, the circuit breaks and thereby protects everything comes after the varistor. Have you replaced the fuse? Is the device working?
I'm going to try to change the fuse this week and see if i get things working again. Veristor seems intact from the looks of it. I looked at getting a replacement for the entire power module but its a 15 week wait :confused:

Я собираюсь попробовать заменить предохранитель на этой неделе и посмотреть, заставлю ли он снова работать. Veristor, судя по в
Before replacing the fuse, be sure to check the diode bridge for a short circuit with a device; it should not be at the AC input, not at the output converted to DC (+-), if the diode bridge is damaged, replacing the fuse will lead to its burning and nothing will work. It is best after replacement, before applying voltage, to unfasten the terminal that supplies 15 volts to the motherboard and check whether there are 15 volts at the output.

My feeling is that the red component, (to the right of the negative or black lead in that plug), has gone POP and left its calling card on that singed wire, and also on the plug itself. That red component is also not standing straight, which we know is not the fractal way!.
I’d be buying a new power supply board unless you are willing to get into component replacements.

Thanks
Pauly

I don't know. Open it up and take a pic of the part number. 🙂

I will find you some.
I had a look at the listed power supply offered online in the Fractal Shop and they just list one power supply that does double duty for both the FM3 and FM9. I guess its the same unit for both variations of FM3s and FM9s. The FM9 would draw more current than the FM3 as it doubles the processor throughput and has more strip displays, so looks to me like the Digikey unit would be fine.

Its a pity the Fractal Shop does not have a picture of the power supply, all it has is the price of purchase being $40.00.

Back
Top Bottom