FM3 as PC Audio Interface Noise & Issues

Try a different/better USB cable (shorter maybe better than longer), or a different USB port on your PC?
Thanks. Yeah, I've seen that mentioned, and I'll try to find a 3-footer, and preferably one that goes to USB C.

I really don't understand how the length of the cable (6' vs 3') could introduce these kinds of errors over a digital channel.

Perhaps before I try a new cable I'll try some contact cleaner on the connection points.

The difference between 3' and 6' shouldn't matter ... 3' vs 10'or 20' might make a difference though.

Are you running directly into the PC, or into a hub? Try direct, and a different USB port?

I really don't understand how the length of the cable (6' vs 3') could introduce these kinds of errors over a digital channel.
It's all about timing. USB sends a lot of data quickly, and it depends on receiving responses quickly. It takes time for signals to travel through a wire. The longer the wire, the longer it takes. It doesn't take a lot of time, but when you're sending hundreds of millions of bits per second, every nanosecond counts.

With that said, the length limit for USB 3 is three meters, so a 6-foot cable shouldn't cause any length-related problems.

It's all about timing. USB sends a lot of data quickly, and it depends on receiving responses quickly. It takes time for signals to travel through a wire. The longer the wire, the longer it takes. It doesn't take a lot of time, but when you're sending hundreds of millions of bits per second, every nanosecond counts.

With that said, the length limit for USB 3 is three meters, so a 6-foot cable shouldn't cause any length-related problems.
Yeah, I specifically meant the difference between 6' and 3'. Also, I think a more important factor related to length is the introduction to errors.

Thanks though!

The difference between 3' and 6' shouldn't matter ... 3' vs 10'or 20' might make a difference though.

Are you running directly into the PC, or into a hub? Try direct, and a different USB port?
Direct to PC. Going to see about getting a USB B to C cable so I can try a different port.

Back
Top Bottom