FM3 and External IR's

The cabs sound good
the current IR block just does not support Ultrares irs yet , they are working on it
everyones ears are different you may hear no difference at all
i an not sure what formats OH and Ml use so if you have concerns you may be best to reach out to them and ask
them what the difference will be tonally

the FM3 will be able to run the ultrares
at some point so depending on where you are on the wait list it will quite likely be a non issues
OK yeah. I toggle between normal and ultra on my AFII and really cant hear the difference. So I probably won't be able to tell.

Back to the question.
Anyone know what iR’s are currently supported ? All, some ?

I don’t want to purchase stuff that might not load/work at this time.

its not so much a question of which Irs are supported they all will work
there is a difference between a truncated Ir vs an Ultrares
just like their is a difference between colors in high def tvs
the longer the IR the more room reflections it will have present so to my ears it can sound a little more polished smooth whatever some will hear it some will not care

There was a huge thread over at the gear page what is better shorter reflection free irs or the longer
perhaps higher def Irs Fractal has been using
as you can imagine both sides of the argument are valid its really up to the individual

the best people to ask 100% is going to be Jon from OH or Mikko from ML as they know how their shots were taken and the requirements to get the best sonic experience from their products

Thanks the explanation Randall.
Like I said originally, I am interested/learning more about irs, as they are always in development.

I will shoot Mikko an inquiry, cheers.

Thanks the explanation Randall.
Like I said originally, I am interested/learning more about irs, as they are always in development.

I will shoot Mikko an inquiry, cheers.

PSA if your looking for some cool Irs to sample check out York Audio
he has a sampler of his mesa 212
on the site , I think it is $1
I strongly recommend checking those out

Randall, are the York ir's truncated? Or does the FM3 do this auto right now on import ?
Trying to understand how the FM3 knows/deals with this.....
Thanks for the tip.

Randall, are the York ir's truncated? Or does the FM3 do this auto right now on import ?
Trying to understand how the FM3 knows/deals with this.....
Thanks for the tip.

Hey Teddis
they would be auto trimmed on loading i am guessing
the only way to know if there is any difference would be to compare apples to apples and as was mentioned in the 1.02 thread
the amp block will not be 100% the same rev as far as under the hood stuff until 1.03

so really until the FM3 reaches the same rev as the 3 comparing the cab blocks w 3rd party Irs would not really be a fair test

Thanks Randall,
From what I am learning/reading truncating these can effect their ability to reproduce reflections sometimes at critical points. Best stay on stock ir’s for now may be best......

Thanks Randall,
From what I am learning/reading truncating these can effect their ability to reproduce reflections sometimes at critical points. Best stay on stock ir’s for now may be best......

do check our the York
i think its worth your while

again this stuff is so subjective
what you hear , what i hear and what Mikko hears is going to be personal

for me the main reason i asked was
the video Frank mueller did comparing the AX3 and FM3 , i heard a difference
in the clarity and details
especially on the Marshally rhythem
thing he did
i made the comment and then one of the other members said
“wait a minute how do we even know the amp sims are running the same firmware”
which is a valid point , what difference i detected could have nothing to do with cab block and more to do w
the current firmware not caught up yet

Randall, once you have loaded one of these York impluses at 500ms......is there any where in the system to see what size it is actually utilizing, truncated size ? We Need to select 48Khz correct ?
thx

Randall, once you have loaded one of these York impluses at 500ms......is there any where in the system to see what size it is actually utilizing, truncated size ? We Need to select 48Khz correct ?
thx

correct you want the Fractal 48k files
as per what the length ends up being
i dont think there is anyway to tell
i use the MPT 48k files and they sound great

Just bought the sample Ir, the 2X12, V30 from York. Will load it up ;) is that MPT ?
You using this for !Marshall higain stuff ;), .......or more Fenderish like tones ?

Just bought the sample Ir, the 2X12, V30 from York. Will load it up ;) is that MPT ?
You using this for !Marshall higain stuff ;), .......or more Fenderish like tones ?

it will load up fine
i use it for most hi gain stuff but its versatile
i use a 57 with a 121 basically the classic mix
also select the 212 Mesa impedance curve its actually measured from this exact cab of Justins

Do you mean MPS Minimum Phase Singles Randall ? I don't see MPT as a folder in the D/L, thx

I don't know why....but my Mac is "greying" out these files, within the directory...not selectable in Cab manage.......Uggggghhhh
Got that figured out...needed to scan folder before import.

......now there is an import setting:

ir Processing Mode options:
None
Auto Trim
Min Phase

Seems Min phase was checked by default......I guess leave it there....

Last edited:
I don't know why....but my Mac is "greying" out these files, within the directory...not selectable in Cab manage.......Uggggghhhh

sorry yes the Minimum phase ones
but i have the full pack not sure which ones are in the sampler is there list

also these are wave file not syx yiu have to convert

I got them loaded and auditioning now.....quickly learning at least in these irs that the 57 is my least favorite.
You are right !,, the mix irs are very good !, I will use some of these now for sure.

How do you mean “also select the 212 Mesa impedance curve its actually measured from this exact cab of Justins”
Is that in the filter page ? What do we need to do there? Is there a tutorial somewhere on this ?
Sorry for the newb questions....appreciate it Randall.

Back
Top Bottom