FM3 and 4 cable method ground loop noise?

sprada

Inspired
Hey everyone.
I've been a part of this community for many years and I've been away for too long.

I'm considering buying an FM3 (mainly) to run in a 4 cable method with a Diezel VH4.

I'm wondering if ground loop noise is a thing with the FM3 in a 4 cable method.
The Diezel effects loop is very high quality so I'm not expecting a problem there.

But the manual suggestion about using a TRS to TS instead of TS to TS left me thinking.

Anyone tested this? is there a noticeable difference?

Ground loops can arise whenever there are two or more pieces of equipment with their own power plug.

If you get ground loop issues, the 1/4” outputs on Fractal gear are designed to use Humbuster cables. The Humbuster is a very specific kind of TRS-to-TS cable. See the manual for more Info.

I use my FM3 with my G20 using 4CM, when I first set it up the noise was horrendous, I changed the cabling to humbuster (TRS -TS) and the noise completely stopped. I was surprised but it really did make a huge difference for me.

I use my FM3 with my G20 using 4CM, when I first set it up the noise was horrendous, I changed the cabling to humbuster (TRS -TS) and the noise completely stopped. I was surprised but it really did make a huge difference for me.

Thanks.
That's interesting.
And the only "humbuster" cable you're using is from the FM3 Output 2L (TRS) to the Amp's input (TS) right?

Thanks.
That's interesting.
And the only "humbuster" cable you're using is from the FM3 Output 2L (TRS) to the Amp's input (TS) right?
The Humbuster wiring isn’t the same as a TRS -> TS cable or adapter. It works with a circuit inside the modelers that measures and attempts to cancel the ground-loop. The ring conductor at the TRS end is connected to the sleeve at the TS end, whereas a TRS -> TS connects the ring to the tip.

In addition, it’s helpful to plug all AC connected devices that are connected to the modeler into the same power strip so they have the same path to ground which also helps eliminate ground-loops. If there’s an XLR cable between the modeler and the next device then it’s not as big of a deal but the modeler still has a ground lift on the back for that particular OUT just in case.

Back
Top Bottom