FM3 4-CM issue [RESOLVED]

Hi Everyone,

I'm having some trouble with the 4CM method. I followed the instructions in the manual except for one (I'm using an XLR to 1/4 inch TRS). My chain is as follows

INPUT1 ---> OUT 2 (into Amps main input)
Amp Send --> INPUT 2 (set to left only in settings)
INPUT 2 --> OUT 1

The connections wok and I can hear the sound of the amp. The trouble I'm having is when set a delay between Input 2 and out1, there is no effect. It almost seems like the effect is bypassed. Could this be the issue with using the 1/4 TRS instead of 1/4 TS?

Many thanks in advance!!!

Yes I did watch this one and everything lines up except for the XLR to 1/4 TRS...I went into this in more detail...what I'm finding from the meters is that there is no output coming from Out 1 when using the same setup as Leon did above...any help is much appreciated...I think the reason why the delays are not working is there is no signal going out through Out 1 from In2 (after the loop)...

Go to Layout > Meters. You’ll see exactly where your signal is dying.
Yes I did that...the signal is dead after Input 2 (loop return)...the meters are showing that the incoming signal is good but nothing goes out to output 1....I tested it with no blocks in the path as well...

Yes I did that...the signal is dead after Input 2 (loop return)...the meters are showing that the incoming signal is good but nothing goes out to output 1....I tested it with no blocks in the path as well...
Do the meters show that you have both coming into and going out of the Input 2 block? Do the blocks between Input 2 and Output 1 get signal? What do you have the Output Level parameter of Input 1 set to?

Do the meters show that you have both coming into and going out of the Input 2 block? Do the blocks between Input 2 and Output 1 get signal? What do you have the Output Level parameter of Input 1 set to?

So the meters for the inputs and out2 shows signal passing through but nothing for out1...there is no signal between input 2 and output put 1....I had the output level parameter set for -10db..I tried changing it to 4db but it still did not work....

So the meters for the inputs and out2 shows signal passing through but nothing for out1...there is no signal between input 2 and output put 1....I had the output level parameter set for -10db..I tried changing it to 4db but it still did not work....
You looked at Layout > Meters, right? The page where you see levels for every block in the preset? Do all of your blocks between In2 and Out 1 show zero signal?

Also, you're looking at the wrong parameter. Edit the Input 2 block, and see what you have the Output Level set to.

You looked at Layout > Meters, right? The page where you see levels for every block in the preset? Do all of your blocks between In2 and Out 1 show zero signal?

Also, you're looking at the wrong parameter. Edit the Input 2 block, and see what you have the Output Level set to.

oops I was looking at the wrong meters...yes when I looked into Layout -> Meters, all the blocks between Input 2 and output 1 are not showing any signal

oops I was looking at the wrong meters...yes when I looked into Layout -> Meters, all the blocks between Input 2 and output 1 are not showing any signal
Does the meters page show both input and output signal in the In 2 block, or just input signal?

Just the input signal...
On the Meters page, each block shows levels for its own input and output. Looking just at the meters for the Input 2 block (not at any output block), is there signal showing for that block's input and output, or just for its input?

...and a delay bock that 8 added...
I don't know what that means.

...signal is passing through that as well...
So you are getting signal in a block after Input 2? That's different from what you said earlier.

Hi Everyone,

I'm having some trouble with the 4CM method. I followed the instructions in the manual except for one (I'm using an XLR to 1/4 inch TRS). My chain is as follows

INPUT1 ---> OUT 2 (into Amps main input)
Amp Send --> INPUT 2 (set to left only in settings)
INPUT 2 --> OUT 1

The connections wok and I can hear the sound of the amp. The trouble I'm having is when set a delay between Input 2 and out1, there is no effect. It almost seems like the effect is bypassed. Could this be the issue with using the 1/4 TRS instead of 1/4 TS?

Many thanks in advance!!!

Let’s back up. The manual specifically says, “you will need an XLR to 1/4” TS (NOT TRS!) cable in most cases.” I can see you’re aware of that note, but I’d think there’s a reason that part is in caps and with an exclamation point. I’d start there.

I know @2112 used an XLR to TRS cable but his Ceriatone might fall outside of the “most cases.”

hi Everyone,

So the issue is resolved. The problem was using a TRS cable from the amp send to the FM3 return. When I put in a regular mono instrument cable everything works as expected. I wonder why this is the case? I have been using the tube amp with hx fx and there is no problem using TRS cables between the Send/Return. Is there a reason for this? Many thanks for helping me out here. In the end it happened to be a relatively simple fix.

It sounds like the TRS cable may not have actually been engaging the amp's FX loop, which is auto-switching on the Mark V 25. You could test this by swapping back to it and initially connecting only the end at the amp's FX send. If you still have sound at normal volume at this point, that would tell you it's not actually using the signal at the FX return.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom