FM3 3 Years On

Axe-Master
This is mostly a run-down of my greasy live preset, but it's been a pleasure to watch the FM3 blossom over the last 3 years.

It's been impressive to see how amp and effects updates have trickled down from the Axe-Fx III and how the expanding user base implement the FM3 into their rigs in so many different ways.

What's your favourite thing about the FM3?

This is my first fractal product and I'm at about 2.5 years of owning it. Obviously the quality of the modeling is mind-boggling, the portability is excellent, and the usability (particularly live) is incredibly well thought out and amazing.

However, the thing that has impressed me the most is the product support and the engagement/involvement of the community. The Fractal team is clearly motivated only by providing the best product they can and I love how much they listen to and lean on the community during beta testing and other issues. Every firmware update is almost like getting a new product and I can be assured that the community has put its through its paces so it will be rock solid when I get the production drop.

Clearly @2112 is a leader and incredible resource in this community and I really appreciate that.

Firmware 6 was a very pleasant surprise in terms of CPU optimization gains. The FM3 is excellent.

My only lingering wish is for some way for the cab picker to filter/highlight factory cabs based on what's in the amp block (if there is a factory cab). That would make the FM3 literally unbeatable.

Favorite thing about the FM3? It sounds amazing when you get it dialed in. There’s a lot to love about it. Plenty of amp models to explore, different IR’s and speaker curves. Quality effects. Customizable switching. Far above average support. The community is great. I learn a lot here. I’ve learned a ton from you @2112. Thanks man! And I bless FAS for the relentless pursuit of the perfect modeler. It’s very close right now, and I have never enjoyed playing as much as I do now.

Fractal tone and power along with small size and weight, as this kitchen sink preset utilizing eight Scenes illustrates...

The extra path is an acoustic path via an acoustic IR, and the FX Loop contains a Marshall JCM800 tube preamp, with the Amp Block in this case providing an excellent Marshall JMP-1 Active EQ and Tube Power Amp sim (this preset is actually creating a truly all-tube Marshall JMP-1, which doesn't exist in the real world).

This preset mostly runs at roughly 73% CPU, and tops out at roughly 78% CPU depending on the Pitch Block's algorithm in use, and is certainly quick and reliable changing Scenes to tempo while being automated via 5 Pin DIN MIDI from Ableton LIVE (Scenes, Channels, Tempo, and Volumes are all automated).

FC Setup...

FC1 tap controls the Ableton LIVE Looper Plugin's Play button, and hold the FM3's Tuner.
FC2 tap controls the Ableton LIVE Session Loop button, and hold the Ableton LIVE Looper Plugin's Undo button, plus a boost.
FC3 tap switches Delay FX, and hold selects Pitch FX (Auto-Whammy).

The Mosky Dual Switch 1 tap increments Scenes, and hold decrements Scenes (the majority of FX changes and cross-fades/fades are automated).
The Mosky Dual Switch 2 tap selects the Auto-Wah.

Quite a powerful little Axe that also allows me to control Ableton LIVE, ...live!

Last edited:
Fractal tone and power along with small size and weight, as this kitchen sink preset utilizing eight Scenes illustrates...

The extra path is an acoustic path via an acoustic IR, and the FX Loop contains a Marshall JCM800 tube preamp, with the Amp Block in this case providing an excellent Marshall JMP-1 Active EQ and Tube Power Amp sim (this preset is actually creating a truly all-tube Marshall JMP-1, which doesn't exist in the real world).

This preset mostly runs at roughly 73% CPU, and tops out at roughly 78% CPU depending on the Pitch Block's algorithm in use, and is certainly quick and reliable changing Scenes to tempo while being automated via 5 Pin DIN MIDI from Ableton LIVE (Scenes, Channels, Tempo, and Volumes are all automated).

FC Setup...

FC1 tap controls the Ableton LIVE Looper Plugin's Play button, and hold the FM3's Tuner.
FC2 tap controls the Ableton LIVE Session Loop button, and hold the Ableton LIVE Looper Plugin's Undo button, and a boost.
FC3 tap switches Delay FX, and hold selects Pitch FX (Whammy).

The Mosky Dual Switch 1 tap increments Scenes, and hold decrements Scenes (the majority of FX changes and cross-fades/fades are automated).
The Mosky Dual Switch 2 tap selects the Auto-Wah.

Quite a powerful little Axe that also allows me to control Ableton LIVE, ...live!

Great preset
It’s interesting that you are using the whammy AFTER the Amp and cab , I have not seen that before

Great preset
It’s interesting that you are using the whammy AFTER the Amp and cab , I have not seen that before
The Pitch Block utilizes all four channels for smart harmonization, plus sequencer FX in addition to the Auto-Whammy, all of which work better post, so post it is. The octave pitch change sounds fine post as well, which is how it would be applied in post production during a mix anyways.

The preset is meant to show the power of the FM3 with FW 6.x (I was peaking at 83% CPU or so with FW5.x, and at times the FM3 was not responding to external MIDI in a timely manner, which it now does with FW 6.x).

Last edited:
My favourite thing about the FM3 is that I get to pinch a lot of tips from you Leon @2112 :)

Seriously, like you I have gigged this thing to death, it does 4CM with my Boogie (my preference/default gigging mode) it does direct to FOH to emulate that real-life Boogie when I need it, I get lots of good feedback from FOH engineers about the consistency, I also get the same from other muso’s who hear me play - and I’m always getting people coming up to the stage and peaking over to see what I’m using!!

For live use, I really can’t see the point of having anything more - the FM9 whilst nice to have would be lost on me - FM3 + FC6 does all that I need and I too stick to 1 preset fits all - dual delays, pitch, flanger, drive and a reverb…spread across 8 scenes, all at 80% CPU - it’s never ever frozen on me or even had a wobble..

I have owned mine for about 3 years too. There are so many positives but here are the main ones besides the consistency of on stage tone and endless amp / FX options previously mentioned.
*People like yourself, Marco Fenton the Fractal administrators etc (too many to list) sharing such a wealth of knowledge (plus the forum).
**Back up service - my FM3 output 1 died during a gig, but managed to get through using output 2 (keyboard player spilled his drink leaving my FM3 in a puddle - yes, a BIG drink). I emailed our distributor here on the Sunday morning (Andrew - Independent Music) and got a reply immediately offering a solution and a backup loan FM3 if required - fortunately it dried out and has been fine since.
*** I am finding new things all the time - trolling through the factory presets I recently discovered "Pitch Follower" which boosts delay and amp trim as you head up the dusty section of the guitar neck.
I have been on the wait list for an FM9 since they were announced but in New Zealand we are probably at the bottom of the food chain so have settled of another FM3 as backup plus a FC6 for the bigger gigs (more than 20 punters).

the best part of the FM3 experience for me happened months before the actual physical release , when we convened outside of Boston right after the initial waitlist announcement for AxeFest, and the prototype FM3 was there for me and all the other far more skilled and celebrated axeslingers like Leon, Dweezil, Mark Day, et. al to play in a tiny room with two massive Meyer floor monitors….. made some more good friends there, and I was blessed with some quality hang time with Todd , the brilliant player from the Ozz band , which made his untimely passing all the more painful.

This is mostly a run-down of my greasy live preset, but it's been a pleasure to watch the FM3 blossom over the last 3 years.

It's been impressive to see how amp and effects updates have trickled down from the Axe-Fx III and how the expanding user base implement the FM3 into their rigs in so many different ways.

What's your favourite thing about the FM3?

I recommended Paul Trevaskis to get an FM3, and he drove 1400km to the Melbourne guitar show, to pick up the only FM3 + FC-6 they had over there. He attended your clinic too!

Back
Top Bottom