Flight case for FM9 and two expression pedals.

Can anyone provide me with links in hopes of finding a flight case for my FM9 and two expression pedals?
I need a case that's essentially bullet proof and ATA approved.

Thank you in advance, Joe D.

While you’re searching, be aware of ATA rating categories. ATA Category I cases are rated to survive 100 round-trip shipments. Category III cases are only rated to survive one round trip.

And “ATA style” means “looks like an ATA case.” These cases aren’t actually ATA rated at all.

Last edited:
If you’re flying a lot there’s just no substitute for getting a proper flight case like a pelican or skb.m with foam. I had a custom live in case made with NYC pedal boards that was made to for i
Perfectly in my pelican air case. I only use one expression pedal though and everything comes to under just 50lbs.

If you’re flying a lot there’s just no substitute for getting a proper flight case like a pelican or skb.m with foam. I had a custom live in case made with NYC pedal boards that was made to for i
Perfectly in my pelican air case. I only use one expression pedal though and everything comes to under just 50lbs.

I agree.
We fly out a decent amount and have 2 SKB rolling 4 space fly racks for IEM's and Midas gear.
For my FM9 and 2 expression pedals, along with cables and a couple spare items, I have a Pelican 1615 roliing case.
Before the FM9, I had my AX8 in there. I just bought some new foam and re-cut for the FM9.
Great cases, under 50lbs for flights and even waterproof in case of rain on the tarmac or at a gig.

One extra thing: there pick n' pluck foam (softer and less durable) or Kaizen foam (stiffer, more durable, must be cut for custom fit). I have the Kaizen foam and it holds up well. The PnP foam will not hold up as well after you remove the gear 10 times and replace it 10 times. Just an FYI here so you know what you're buying.

These aren't the cheapest cases and the Kaizen foam is more money again, yet as GuyJames said, there's no substitute for the good stuff...foam lined, good latches, strudy plastic.
Worth every penny, IMO. Here's a link for you...
https://www.thecasestore.com/shop/case/large/pelican/pelican-1615-air-case

If you need ATA rated cases, that's another ball game, as Rex has pointed out. Heavier duty cases will not meet the 50lb wieght limit for most domestic flights.

Best of luck

I recommend the Evergreen Seahorse 920. I paid a little extra for the organizer for the lid. Built rock solid and rolls. Also, fits in the overhead bin (right at Southwest Airlines limit). Not sure if nits ATA rated or not, but it’s every bit as tough as a Pelican at half the price. Once I had the foam configured, I treated it with plasti dip, so it’s rubbery and formed into one piece now.

Attachments

• IMG_R_0280_Original.jpeg
    IMG_R_0280_Original.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
  • image_Original.jpeg
    image_Original.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8248_Original.jpeg
    IMG_8248_Original.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8834_Original.jpeg
    IMG_8834_Original.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
@jetdriver1775 So this is the standard pick-n-pluck foam that you coated? Did you do that for both the red and black layers?
yes, its the standard pluck foam that comes with the case. It feels like good quality to me, but just to make it a bit more resilient, I treated it with Plasti-Dip. That coats the foam and bonds it together. I used a can of red for the lower level to make it easier to see what's in there, and black for the top layer. I put on two coats, and used about half a can for each color.

$250 for a flight case and pedalboard, 32” Harmony Cases HCPEDAL32 Custom Hard ATA Flight 32" Guitar Pedal Compatible with Case https://a.co/d/eNk75Q6

FWIW, I just made a new board for my FM9/Sp-1/EV-1, 32” fits everything with putting the exp pedals at a slight angle.

yes, its the standard pluck foam that comes with the case. It feels like good quality to me, but just to make it a bit more resilient, I treated it with Plasti-Dip. That coats the foam and bonds it together. I used a can of red for the lower level to make it easier to see what's in there, and black for the top layer. I put on two coats, and used about half a can for each color.
Could you tell me how thick each layer (the red and black) are? Did you spray the insides of the cutouts as well?

Could you tell me how thick each layer (the red and black) are? Did you spray the insides of the cutouts as well?
Not thick. I did a couple light coats each color. It dries really fast. I live in Reno, so it dries REALLY fast lol. All surfaces of the foam were coated, including the bottoms. This way the pluck foam sort of melds into one piece, and won't start coming apart from use. It was a nice rubberized (but still spongy) feel to it. Plus it looks cool. If you're using just one color, then one spray can of Plasti-Dip should do it for you. They sell it at Home Depot... or get it on Amazon. If you look on YouTube, you'll find lots of tutorial videos on how to Plasti-Dip a pluck foam case. Good luck!

Thanks for this extra info - it helps! Actually, I meant the thickness (depth) of the red and black layers of foam! :)

Thanks for this extra info - it helps! Actually, I meant the thickness (depth) of the red and black layers of foam! :)
Ohhhhh. Here are the basic measurements I followed. These are in ‘cubes’ of foam. Kudos to dicXjonesify for these. I modified slightly to accommodate 2 EV-1s. The FM9 rests on the EV-1s and a lip of foam at the top and bottom of the unit. Also, there’s a 1/2” layer of foam underneath.

Attachments

• IMG_7005_Original.jpeg
    IMG_7005_Original.jpeg
    604.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7006_Original.jpeg
    IMG_7006_Original.jpeg
    560.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7007_Original.jpeg
    IMG_7007_Original.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 23
I just got the pedaltrain jr max with the touring case. So far it is working out great. It has wheels and a handle. I have the FM9T with an expression and a otto duo switcher in there. There is extra space to fit cables or another pedal if needed.

Back
Top Bottom