Flat Frequency Response Speak Cabinet

Izzyprad

Inspired
I was wondering what speaker cabinet you guys use with the Axe FX II to get Flat Frequency response. I have Mesa Recto 2x12, and I am not really happy with it.

I use Mesa Recto cab simulation in most of my presets in Axe FX and I create presets using headphones. I was hoping that when playing live maybe I can turn off the cab simulation and use the Mesa recto cab and have less variation, but the actual Mesa cab seems to be little muddy/trebly. I think I would prefer to use the cab sim from the axe fx and go with FRFR speaker cab. 4x12 would be nice by 2x12 would work as well.

Any recommendation on speaker cabs?

I'd just get a regular monitor. A 4x12 with FRFR is not ideal. They don't work at all like a regular guitar cab, a single 1x12 monitor will be more than enough.

Last edited:
I'd just get a regular monitor. A 4x12 with FRFR is not ideal. They don't work at all like a regular guitar cab, a single 1x12 monitor will be more than enough.
Good discussion going on here,but what would you recommend for live usage,if someone want's the 4x12 speaker cabinet feel. Or just a good live set up. I have JBL monitors for my indoor stuff but what about using stuff live or even if you want to go for a big jam with an entire band or something.

Cheers.

I thought about getting a 1x12 FRFR speaker, but they just can't move enough air to get that sound. 2x12 is already a big compromise here.

I use two Atomic 1x12's. They move plenty of air. I wouldn't worry about the size difference.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

4 1x12 FRFR speakers will not produce the same sound as a 4x12 guitar cabinet with the axe fx, even if the FRFR were somehow mounted like a 4x12 guitar cab. Just totally different approaches.

Have you tried 2 quality powered pa speakers tilted up at your ears? Plenty loud. If you mic your cab, the audience hears it through a pair of FRFR anyway.

If you want a raw guitar cab sound then use one. But many are using FRFR only and loving it.

How loud are you currently playing through the 2x12? When i used a roadster and lone star 2x12 I had to get the volume way up there for the tone to come out and it was way too loud for most clubs. The axe solved all that because I can crank the sims but turn down the volume and it's ballz with control.

Last edited:
I haven't tried PA speakers. I am looking something in the price range of $500.

I prefer to use FRFR speaker rather than a other Cabs, but haven't found any good ones at a decent price, and also looks like almost all of them are 1x12".

I thought about getting a 1x12 FRFR speaker, but they just can't move enough air to get that sound. 2x12 is already a big compromise here.

Sorry, you're wrong on this one. As I said, totally different design, you can't compare them. A good 1x12 monitor will move way more air then you will ever need. I've run both, so I know for a fact ;)

I use two Atomic 1x12's. They move plenty of air. I wouldn't worry about the size difference.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Those the little powered cabs they're currently selling on the site? I've been thinking about getting one. Any pros/cons to them?

Hi, I have been through the same thing with my live rig, first trying my Mesa 2x12 recto cab with both valve and sold state amps. After being totally frustrated with the results I decided to try a pair of QSC k10s. These things kick butt! they are only 10" speakers but they are 1000watts each and have more than enough bottom end to handle anything I throw at them. They might not have the ability to push the same amount of air as a 4x12 but this is out weighed by the clarity and quality of tone. after try this set up I am as happy as a pig in mud, no looking back.

Back
Top Bottom