[fixed] Tap tempo MIDI In

Using a Disaster area MIDI baby for tap tempo hooked up via 5-pin MIDI cable and tapping doesn't respond on the FM3. Same hookup on my FX3 and tempo changes with no issue. Is there any additional setup for tap tempo via MIDI that I need to check?

Have you set the Midi CC for tap on the FM3? On the correct midi channel?

Does it respond to other midi such as Preset change?

Yes, I have the same MIDI settings on the FX3 and the FM3 which is why I'm puzzled. I didn't think MIDI clock required a CC for tap?

As soon as I hook in the 5Pin on the FM3, the tempo goes to 250BPM, I can turn the value knob, but it immediately goes back to 250BPM

Yes, I have the same MIDI settings on the FX3 and the FM3 which is why I'm puzzled. I didn't think MIDI clock required a CC for tap?

As soon as I hook in the 5Pin on the FM3, the tempo goes to 250BPM, I can turn the value knob, but it immediately goes back to 250BPM
hmmm... the Distaster Area can send midi beat clock - is that enabled or disabled?

If you're sending CC to FM3 then you don't want midi clock on. Otherwise, use the Distaster Area to send beat clock and not the CC.

Edit:

Sorry I just realized you said you are using the beat clock. In that case, you don't need a CC.

Something is commanding your FM3 to go to maximum tempo. This happens when you hook up your MIDI Baby. So apparently that "something" is your MIDI Baby.

Double-check your MIDI Baby configuration. Make sure it's only sending tap tempo messages. No MIDI clock or anything else.

I just got my FM3 today. I have a BeatBuddy that I was use for setting the tempo on other pedals using MIDI clock (Source Audio Collider, TC Electronic Ditto Looper x4) and it has worked perfectly. When I connect it to the FM3, the tempo immediately jumps to 250 BPM, as described above. I also get a bunch of other weird problems, like sporadic system freezing and other bugs. As soon as I remove the midi tempo source, all the problems go away. I think there may be a bug lurking here somewhere...

midi baby > midi out > axe FX 3 > MIDI IN (no
PC/CC messages, no problem.
turn MIDI clock on baby, axe Fx tempo responds normally, tempo changes fine

midi baby > midi out > FM3 > MIDI IN (no
PC/CC messages, no problem.
turn MIDI clock on baby, tempo goes to 250 immediately.

If I use baby as USB midi connection in ableton and sync MIDI clock from ableton, same results. Tempo immediately 250 , but PC/CC messages just fine.

Just got my FM3 onto my board. I’ve got a Disaster Area Smartclock(gen 3) to control some other delay pedals. It’s capable of midi clock...

Had the same issue of bpm jumping to 250. I’d try to set it slower, and it goes right back to 250. Maybe a bug?

I’ll mess around some more tonight and see if I can remedy the problem.

There is definitely an issue with MIDI clock messages. I've reported it to the team. In the meantime, if you want to control tempo via a MIDI switch with your MIDI Baby 3, this is no problem. In the top config section of the MIDI Baby 3 editor, turn off sending MIDI clock. Then configure one of your footswitches to send a CC Toggle "send one value". Pick a CC# (I chose 112 for testing but any unused number will be fine). Have it send 127. Then on the FM3, go to Setup - MIDI/Remote- and tab to the last page and set the value for Tap Tempo to whatever CC# you picked.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Last edited:
I got my Midi Baby 3, midi cord to FM3 and set up the center switch for tap tempo using CC...works fine.
I'd like to use the Midi Baby jacks as expression pedals inputs to free up the pedal inputs on the FM3.
I'm using wah and volume expression pedals.
I read thru the manuals but it's pretty confusing for a midi idiot like me...anyone got any idea how to do that?

Back
Top Bottom