[fixed] Strange thing going on with AF3

I listened to the clip again and, in fact, it sounds REALLY good. If you say it sounds shrill with way too much distortion this indicates to me that you are clipping somewhere. The tone is anything but shrill and the distortion is what I'd classify as "medium gain".

Download a signal generator and sweep through a frequency spectrum from 20hz to 20k. If you have an iPhone, the app "tone gen." is free. Plug your iPhone directly into your speakers/FRFR device by using an 1/8th jack to quarter or XLR depending on the inputs. Sweep from 20hz to 20k. If you notice any "gaps" at certain frequencies or there are frequencies missing or you notice a rattle, then there is something wrong with either the speaker or the FRFR unit.
OK, thanks.

Yep, I think it's my new DT 770 Pro headphones. They sound totally different from the previous I had for 10 years.
I downloaded Sonarworks and loaded a profile for the DT 770. Day and night!
Unfortunately, it only works for playback, not for realtime guitar playing.
I am sending it back and just ordered a Blue Sadie.
Fingers crossed.

I listened to the clip again and, in fact, it sounds REALLY good. If you say it sounds shrill with way too much distortion this indicates to me that you are clipping somewhere. The tone is anything but shrill and the distortion is what I'd classify as "medium gain".

Thank you for looking into it! It seems like my headphones were the problem!

Yep, I think it's my new DT 770 Pro headphones. They sound totally different from the previous I had for 10 years.
Fingers crossed.
You can make it work with a vst loader, like Cantabile or any DAW. But it will introduce a bit of latency obviously

Download a signal generator and sweep through a frequency spectrum from 20hz to 20k. If you have an iPhone, the app "tone gen." is free. Plug your iPhone directly into your speakers/FRFR device by using an 1/8th jack to quarter or XLR depending on the inputs. Sweep from 20hz to 20k. If you notice any "gaps" at certain frequencies or there are frequencies missing or you notice a rattle, then there is something wrong with either the speaker or the FRFR unit.

Synth block can be used instead of Tone generator.

Fingers crossed.

Maybe the new DT770s just need to get broken in ?

Yup. The Synth block is measurably better than our Stanford Research Systems generator (which cost $2000).
Except one small thing, IIRC setting the filter frequency to 20000 Hz doesn't turn off the high cut which prevents from getting a perfect pink or white noise.

Just a tiny wish :)

PS: I think that's how filters in some other blocks work too (e.g. delay), I wish there was a way to completely defeat them

Last edited:
Except one small thing, IIRC setting the filter frequency to 20000 Hz doesn't turn off the high cut which prevents from getting a perfect pink or white noise.

Just a tiny wish :)

PS: I think that's how filters in some other blocks work too (e.g. delay), I wish there was a way to completely defeat them
Almost all filters defeat when turned to max/min values. I'll have to check the Synth to make sure it does.

Almost all filters defeat when turned to max/min values. I'll have to check the Synth to make sure it does.
Thanks! I'm pretty sure about synth and delay at least, the former is easy to see on the rta and, on the latter, repeats get darker and darker with feedback cranked or stack/hold engaged.

Last edited:
I received Blue Sadies and the shrilling sound is almost gone. Unfortunately I am not bonding with the Blue Sadie either, so I ordered a Sennheiser HD 650. I hope that will solve all my issues.

The weirdest thing with the 770 is not just that the loud(!)"toing-toing" sound in the upper register was super annoying, but it sounded like it was heavily compressed.
I think it is a faulty item.

I wish my CLR was back! :( @Tom King

Last edited:
I received Blue Sadies and the shrilling sound is almost gone. Unfortunately I am not bonding with the Blue Sadie either, so I ordered a Sennheiser HD 650. I hope that will solve all my issues.

The weirdest thing with the 770 is not just that the loud(!)"toing-toing" sound in the upper register was super annoying, but it sounded like it was heavily compressed.
I think it is a faulty item.

I wish my CLR was back! :( @Tom King
I bought a set of like-new Blue Lola headphones for $60 a couple weeks ago (on Amazon).

I had high expectations... They don't even compare to my HD-650s, IMO... The high end is not pleasing.

if the 650's are anything like the 600's, you'll probably forget you're wearing them. super light, super comfortable. i've had my used 600's for...wow, 13 years. just had to replace the driver foam covers, and like 7 years ago the head band foam, but aside form that, they're solid. i hope they fit your needs!

Help please. I have not ordered an adapter for my phone yet, 3.5mm to xlr . How do I set the synth block to do this, I guess a sweep from 20hz to 20Khz? And I imagine I need an amp and cab in the chain also? I'm not having any problems with my ClR, but I'd like to try this and have available if needed. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom