[FIXED in 1.07] Drop tuning with Advanced Whammy broken?

PumpkinKing86

Experienced
I followed the directions in the manual to a T and I'm getting very strange sounds even when only drop tuning by 1 or 2 steps and playing single notes. If I play the 18th fret of the high E string it sounds like one of those emergency broadcast alert sounds about how "this is only a test"... Not quite what I had in mind! :p

The manual:
WHAT ABOUT DROP TUNING?
Drop tuning pedals use polyphonic pitch shifting to simulate the sound of a lowered guitar tuning. The Advanced Whammy is perfect for this type of effect. Place it at the beginning of your signal path, prior to any Drive or Amp blocks. To make setup easy, just RESET the desired pitch block channel and then re-select the Advanced Whammy type. Dial in the drop tune with just a few simple changes. The most important setting is found on the Mix page. Set the Mix parameter to 100% so that only the “wet” portion of the effect is heard. Now, on the Config page, make sure Tracking Mode is set to “POLY” and Whammy Control is at 100%. For the drop, set Stop Shift to the desired value. (If you have a modifier on Whammy Control, perhaps for use in a different channel, just set Start Shift to match the value for Stop Shift.)​

Last edited:
We're getting well into spring, when humidity rises, necks expand, and relief goes flat. How long since you revisited your truss rod?
Eh? My guitar is in tune and sounds wonderful with the pitch block bypassed. I set it up like the manual says for say shifting from E standard tuning to Eb. Instead it thinks I know how to play Allan Holdsworth's Metal Fatigue. :p

I just upgraded to firmware 1.06 BTW.

Here you go. Simple A Pentatonic scale. I don't think the mix control is working because I'm still hearing other notes. This is down -2, but it's the same with anything lower/higher. Doesn't matter what preset either. This is just the Double Verb preset with a pitch block instead of the initial compressor block.

Here you go. Simple A Pentatonic scale. I don't think the mix control is working because I'm still hearing other notes. This is down -2, but it's the same with anything lower/higher. Doesn't matter what preset either. This is just the Double Verb preset with a pitch block instead of the initial compressor block.

I'm hearing this too. It's like a lot of the dry signal is still audible even though the mix is at 100%. I did just upgrade to 1.06, I'm not sure if this was happening in 1.05 because I don't use the pitch block very often.

Getting the same results with the advanced whammy. With start and stop shift set to -1 and mix set to 100% the dry signal is still audible. Tracking mode set to poly, Whammy control set to 100%. No modifiers set

Same thing here. I think it is a bug.

I had it working at one point and couldn't figure out why. To test I setup two presets side-by-side, one with a Drop Shift and the other with an Advanced Whammy, both set to drop a half step, next to an <empty> preset. Changing presets does the following:

AW (not working) -> DS (working) -> AW (working)

AW (working) -> empty -> AW (not working)

I also found if I setup a single preset with one Pitch block and have one channel the DS and another the AW, both work fine any time.

Last edited:
Ran into this last night as well. I noticed that if I select another type of pitch effect, then go back to the Advanced Whammy, the mix control is "fixed" for the moment, but going to another preset and back, everything is goofy again. It did make me laugh when it happened, as I knew it would be fixed soon, and I'm talking about the fast type of "soon." :tearsofjoy:

I followed the directions in the manual to a T and I'm getting very strange sounds even when only drop tuning by 1 or 2 steps and playing single notes. If I play the 18th fret of the high E string it sounds like one of those emergency broadcast alert sounds about how "this is only a test"... Not quite what I had in mind! :p

The manual:
WHAT ABOUT DROP TUNING?
Drop tuning pedals use polyphonic pitch shifting to simulate the sound of a lowered guitar tuning. The Advanced Whammy is perfect for this type of effect. Place it at the beginning of your signal path, prior to any Drive or Amp blocks. To make setup easy, just RESET the desired pitch block channel and then re-select the Advanced Whammy type. Dial in the drop tune with just a few simple changes. The most important setting is found on the Mix page. Set the Mix parameter to 100% so that only the “wet” portion of the effect is heard. Now, on the Config page, make sure Tracking Mode is set to “POLY” and Whammy Control is at 100%. For the drop, set Stop Shift to the desired value. (If you have a modifier on Whammy Control, perhaps for use in a different channel, just set Start Shift to match the value for Stop Shift.)​
You can get around it by using the dual shift instead of advanced whammy. I thought it sounded better anyway. Could have been due to the bug though.

Back
Top Bottom