Fixed: Axe-FX not working at gig

wezx

Experienced
Well I turned on the Axe at my show a few minutes ago and all the metter lights are on and the screen is green and blank...WTF! Obviously I'll be emailing support... Doesn't help here at the gig!

Last edited:
Not sure if this is relevant but worth trying anything, right?! Are you connected to a power conditioner? Might wanna try plugging the axe in direct if so. I remember some grief using a conditioner sometimes.

Unscrew lid and make sure the cable to the screen is attached at both ends. If they are then, take a pair of pliers and gently wiggle both ends loose and re-attach. This is most likely what's wrong. Easy.

MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG FIRST THOUGH!

Well I turned on the Axe at my show a few minutes ago and all the metter lights are on and the screen is green and blank...WTF! Obviously I'll be emailing support... Doesn't help here at the gig!

A very similar thing happened to me, not at a gig though, and after updating to the beta firmware 7...the unit booted to all the meters on and the screen lit up. I needed to have Fractal support send me an EPROM to get it up again. I hope you have better luck, and a backup...

What does the EPROM look like? Where is the socket on the motherboard?

Last edited:
my eprom did that in my ultra... not sure where it is or if it's in a socket like the ultra in the 2, it would be a square or rectangle chip that is not soldered into the board, has a brown or black ring around it that it snaps into.

Does the Axe work? Sound? I don't think the screen has any effect on the signal path. It may still work. Hmmm??? How much time until the show starts?

my eprom did that in my ultra... not sure where it is or if it's in a socket like the ultra in the 2, it would be a square or rectangle chip that is not soldered into the board, has a brown or black ring around it that it snaps into.

Yeah, there's a socket the boot ROM they send goes into and you have to put a jumper over some pins to override the normal boot sequence.

Well, I had to use my backup, which really sucked! I'm guessing the brown square is for the EPROM? Forgive my ignorance...I'm guessing (since there's nothing in that slot) that the EPROM is just to "jumpstart" the system and get it back up? I was under the impression there would be an EPROM in it now, and I would replace it with a new EPROM...but apparently not.

Thanks for the ideas guys...I just sent an email and photo to support.

FYI: Amplitube in your iPhone SEEMS like an awesome, easy, & small backup amp....until you have to use it at a show....IT SUCKS!!!! LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I hate to state the obvious, but even with gear like the Axe..the moral of the OP's story is simple: - one should ALWAYS have a backup.

In 3 yrs of gigging regularly with the Ultra and now the Axe-II, I've never had an issue with either. But I still bring my old GT10 to gigs as a backup. Hopefully, I never have to use it, but its the fail safe. Doing a gig with the GT10 would not be great, but at least we'd get thru it without hair pulling and the blank WTF stares from the crowd.

ok so i guess the eeprom is on the board then... that used to be where it was on the ultra.. was worth a shot.. sorry.

guess i'll be bringing my old trusty xt-live with me at the next gig ;)

I hate to state the obvious, but even with gear like the Axe..the moral of the OP's story is simple: - one should ALWAYS have a backup.

In 3 yrs of gigging regularly with the Ultra and now the Axe-II, I've never had an issue with either. But I still bring my old GT10 to gigs as a backup. Hopefully, I never have to use it, but its the fail safe. Doing a gig with the GT10 would not be great, but at least we'd get thru it without hair pulling and the blank WTF stares from the crowd.

Thought I made it pretty obvious...I guess not? I ALWAYS have a backup...as a matter of fact I have 2 backups. It just sucks having to use them.

It's a little late to the party, but...

I've had similar symptoms when a midi controller is trying to send midi info into the AFX as it boots. The only way I've been able to get it to boot properly is to shut down the midi device, reboot the AFX, then fire up the midi again.

Back
Top Bottom