first Ultra gig review

saxxamafone

Inspired
Had my first live axe-fx gig this weekend
Went direct to the FOH and used a tube poweramp/4x12 on stage

Here’s my findings:
-the axe sends a GREAT signal to the FOH… very strong and clean!
-FX sounded much clearer than they did through my mic’d rig
-EQ and levels of patches still need to be tweaked a little, I was lucky to have a good soundguy who could fix things on the fly during the gig
-definitely felt weirder on stage coz I wasn’t running a lot of stage volume, kept the stage quieter and let the FOH PA do all the work
-patches I had set up didn’t need to be tweaked all that much in sound check (I was expecting to have to do a LOT of tweaking)

Bottom line:
My sound wasn’t exactly what I was after for this first show, but I have no doubt with further tweaking I’ll be able to get what I want

I’m going to hook it up in the studio and fix my levels there

Cool review man!

I can't wait to try mine out live sometime!!!

Rincon sounds goods man! I checked your myspace out! I dig it!

Excellent, saxx! :cool:

I find that I'm still making little tweaks to levels and EQ based on the room, but just minor ones.

The Axe FX does indeed rock in live applications. :D

Congrats on the first gig with the Ultra. I really like the new Evolution album and the Justify song goes killer with the Teahupoo, Tahiti surf video on Surfline.com (checked out your my space). That is such a heavy wave. Your bands music goes perfect with that video. Can't wait to hear some of your recordings with the Ultra. You guys are killer. Wish you were in California I would definately come out to a show. I'm interested in what you come up with for patches on the Ultra. Hope you will share some when the Axexchange is back up again.

I will have to admit that in the two months I've had my Ultra I've struggled more with levels in a live situation moreso than any other amp or modeller I've ever owned. However, I credit that to the flexibility and complexity of the Axe-FX.

Bottom line is that getting the levels ironed out is a fixable thing, though only partially at home. Some of that leveling needs to be done at rehearsals and gigs. If I had one wish for the Axe it would be to have a master volume knob that I could instantly tweak and hit save. I've managed to do pretty well using the overall volume in the 4th page of the "LAYOUT" though...I've learned to access it pretty fast, adjust my level, then save. It's getting better all the time, though that method does tend to lead to a bunch of patches that end up clipping and then I need to start all over again. I also really need, but haven't taken the time, to audition my tracks using a meter. It won't get you all the way there because it's the Mids that cut, but I imagine that looking at a meter would help a lot on the levels.

My sound wasn't EXACTLY what I was looking for in my first gig with my Axe-FX either. OTOH, it wasn't with most amps or other modellers either.

glenecho said:
If I had one wish for the Axe it would be to have a master volume knob that I could instantly tweak and hit save.

It's in there. In the MIDI menu the VOLUME INCR and VOLUME DECR controllers allow you to assign a CC to volume up and volume down. When you send volume up the output volume is increased by 1 dB and the preset automatically saved. Same for volume down.

FractalAudio said:
glenecho said:
If I had one wish for the Axe it would be to have a master volume knob that I could instantly tweak and hit save.

It's in there. In the MIDI menu the VOLUME INCR and VOLUME DECR controllers allow you to assign a CC to volume up and volume down. When you send volume up the output volume is increased by 1 dB and the preset automatically saved. Same for volume down.

That's exactly what I do. I'm using a Boss FS-6 dual footswitch with two 1/4'' cables from the Boss footswitch to the Pedal 1 & 2 1/4'' jacks on the back of the Axe. Volume increment and decrement are assigned to External pedal jacks. This allows me to keep my IA switches free on my GCP. Works out really well.

Saxx- Nice job on the Chopes vid. That is such an intense wave. Do all of you surf ? I like the name of your band. I'm in Carpinteria, Ca. I live three minutes from, yes, Rincon. I have a good friend who spends most of his time in the Byron Bay area. His name is George Greenough. Heard of him? Anyway keep up the good work w/ your band and the Axe!

FractalAudio said:
glenecho said:

Which 'volume' is modified by these controllers Cliff? The amp block master volume or the volume in the amp block Mix tab?

That's exactly what I do. I'm using a Boss FS-6 dual footswitch with two 1/4'' cables from the Boss footswitch to the Pedal 1 & 2 1/4'' jacks on the back of the Axe. Volume increment and decrement are assigned to External pedal jacks. This allows me to keep my IA switches free on my GCP. Works out really well.

+1

Very fast and works very well.
If a preset clips, I hit the decrement button, and scroll through my presets and hit decrement ad many times as with the first preset. It's the easiest way to adjust volume levels of any unit I've ever had.

gtrdave said:
Congrats on the first gig with the Ultra. I really like the new Evolution album and the Justify song goes killer with the Teahupoo, Tahiti surf video on Surfline.com (checked out your my space). That is such a heavy wave. Your bands music goes perfect with that video. Can't wait to hear some of your recordings with the Ultra. You guys are killer. Wish you were in California I would definately come out to a show. I'm interested in what you come up with for patches on the Ultra. Hope you will share some when the Axexchange is back up again.

cheers dave!
i've been tweaking alot more lately... really been working on my direct sound
it's different than a usual rig coz you basically have to set up 2 separate rigs on the axe... your FOH rig and your on stage rig

EG. for FOH... lately i've started using a TS boost infront of my high gain patches... but i don't boost the signal i send to the stage.

when i get some patches going that i'm REALLY happy with... i'll be more than happy to post em

TonyGring said:
Saxx- Nice job on the Chopes vid. That is such an intense wave. Do all of you surf ? I like the name of your band. I'm in Carpinteria, Ca. I live three minutes from, yes, Rincon. I have a good friend who spends most of his time in the Byron Bay area. His name is George Greenough. Heard of him? Anyway keep up the good work w/ your band and the Axe!

yer that wave is insane hey :cool:
we used to surf a bit... a couple of the boys are big into wakeboarding these days

apparently rincon is a very common name overseas... got no idea how we ended up with it :lol:

I haven't actually been to byron myself yet! can't wait though...i've heard great things about that place

thanks for the kind words!

very rough pic... but here's what i've been running lately

FOH is axe-fx direct
STAGE is axe-fx as a preamp (no amp sims) into power section of engl head
I only use korg tuner to re-string etc... use the tuner in the axe-fx during shows
G force is back up fx in case the axe-fx ever dies on me :lol:

P4270783-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom