First steps to building custom presets using Firmware 5's new features!

Manny Fufish

Power User
Going through the Fractal presets as well as my own and testing out the new Dynamics and Motor Drive features made me realize this is a good exercise for those who are brand new and haven't worked with the Axe FX much or maybe haven't worked on building tones at all. If this sounds like you, follow along and get your feet wet with a couple of simple parameters. Players are all different, Guitars are different, Amps are different, styles of music are different, and ears are different too, so you probably want to get used to building your own tones for your own guitars, amps, and style of music anyway.

To keep this very introductory we are only going to talk about two of the new parameters but they are great additions, and worth being very comfortable with. These two parameters are the Amp blocks 'Dynamics' and the Cab blocks 'Motor Drive'.

First you will want to set your guitar input level correctly. Click I/O on the front of the AxeFX and adjust the 'Instr In' value until strumming all of the strings hard just starts to touch the red lights.

Now click the 'Recall' button on the AxeFX and bring up a Preset that has an amp you really enjoy playing through, maybe A23 the Freidman BE preset. If you are working on a more complex preset, turn off any blocks in front of the amp or anything that will significantly change the tone of the amp. If you're new just follow along with one of the first 42 that showcase the amps.

Just click the 'X' button and you will be brought right into the Amp Editor for that preset (easy huh). With the Type value selected, turn the large 'Value' knob one click to change to the next amp and then change back again to your original amp. This resets the amps values to that of the new firmware. Now hit the 'Page Right' button until you get to the 'Dyn' page. Use the right arrow in the 'Nav' section to select the 'Dynamics' value and we are ready to make our adjustment for this amp.

The key to making changes to presets or building your own tones in general is knowing what to listen for when you are adjusting these values. This can vary depending on what you are trying to accomplish, but just to put a stake in the ground, we are going to increase the Dynamics value until we loose the definition between the notes when arpeggiating a chord (ie playing the notes of the chord one at a time). If you picked the Freidman BE preset, think along the lines of 'Aint talkin bout love' by VH. You can add the flanger later ;-). If you picked a clean amp, think any Pink Floyd tune that arpeggiates chords, 'Hey You' is a nice one, mid-gain 'Sweet Home Alabama', etc...

The Dynamics value should be defaulted to 25% so slowly pick through the notes of some 'cowboy chords' or standard major or minor chords played at the end of the neck. Set it to zero and see what it sounds like when you bypass the effect... Then run it fairly high, like 3 o'clock, and see what it introduces so you have a feel for the setting. Go back to the initial 25%. Increase the Dynamics by 5 or 10% and try again. Continue this process until you feel the definition between the notes is getting lost and it's turning into too much of a wash for what you're trying to do. 'Ain't Talkin Bout Love' is more forgiving then 'Sweet Home Alabama' which is more forgiving then 'Hey You'... Your guitar, pickup volume, and tolerance will make this differ significantly as well, but I typically like this between the initial 25% and somewhere around 50% (I play a lot of 80s high gain amps with 80s 'super-strat' type guitars) but others have reported they prefer this dimed at 100% so let your ears be the judge as to what you think sounds best. Again, guitar and amp will factor in heavily and you may go higher or lower and that's perfectly OK.

Once you have Dynamics set the way you like it for this preset, click the 'Layout' button and then use the right arrow in the 'Nav' section to move over to the Cab block. Once you have the Cab block selected click the 'Edit' button to edit the Cab parameters. Use the 'Page Right' arrow to navigate to the 'Mix' page and this time we are going to adjust the 'Motor Drive' value. This value will default at 0.25 which is just enough to enable the feature but we need more :).

Once again with the 'Motor Drive' value selected we are going to use the large 'Value' knob to increase by small increments. I tend to use the 'clock' reference, so I would say I like this set between 9 o'clock and noon. What we are listening for this time is the bass notes to lose their definition or go flubby. At one point it just won't have that same bottom end and you will hear it when it happens. If you chose an amp like a Fender Twin you will notice you start with a big bell base tone and you don't want to lose that, if you chose a Recto Orange you will start with a booming bass tone you don't want to lose either. If you 'got djent' you will want to mute the bass strings while you play your best riffs and make sure everything chugs like you need it to and you will back off just before you lose it. Again, amp choice, your guitar, your pickups, your 'drop b' tuning :), and playing style will all impact when this bass notes fall apart for you, but I like 9 o'clock to noon myself and sometimes I certainly go past that depending on what I'm playing, that's just my sweet spot.

Once you have found your sweet spot for this as well you can be real proud of yourself because we are done. :) If you want to save your work click the 'Store' button and you will be prompted with the location to save this preset. If you want to save over top of the existing, just click 'Enter'.

See 'easy peasy' there's nothing to it, so go out there and experiment with other settings. It's all in what you're listening for and different people will tell you different things. These simple examples were just a way to get your feet wet and we used one reference property that these values effect. I hope this was valuable to you and I hope you will go on to try adjusting other parameters one at a time and see what sounds good to your ears. Then post your presets on the forum so we can all enjoy!

Hope it helps,
Manny

Last edited:
You're very welcome guys. Once you have your 'Dynamics' and 'Motor Drive' settings the way you like them using the steps above, the next property to move on to would be 'Speaker Drive'. Again this is all about increasing dynamics, but you want to retain a level of clarity that matches your playing style.

The Speaker Drive adjustment will be a very easy one to hear as it is much more prominent. What we are listening for is a warble that will occur when you exceed the threshold. If you set it past 3 o'clock or dime it for that matter, it will become very apparent what we are trying to avoid. Again start at the default and make small increments and let your ears decide when you are getting too much breakup. I tend to set this one between 9 o'clock and Noon also (and in some rigs that changes too) but adjust to your rig and your preference using a process similar to that in my first post. The ability to define exactly how hot your amp is running and how much it's being pushed is what sets this level of technology beyond what's possible in the analog world. When my Matchless has been running too hard for too long and has passed it's sweet spot, there's no knob I can turn to cool things down... :)

Have fun and don't forget to research other parameters of the Axe FX. In small doses it's not any more intimidating then this process was. Check the docs for what parameters do and check the wiki (which is awesome) as well, and steal from other presets where you like some character of the amp. Try and figure out what's different between that amp and one that you are tweaking and once you find it... Steal it... we all do that. :) It's a lot of fun building your own tones and the Axe FX was literally built for it.

Hope it helps,

Manny

Last edited:
Nicely done - you saved me the effort of typing and posting almost exactly the same sort of approach.

Thumbs way up!! You nailed it!

Manny, what a great tutorial! I highly value understanding what is being altered, and then having a best practice to use when making changes.

This was powerful!

Terry.

I agree great post! I would encourage all those who have great info about things like this to post as much as they can if they want to. Some of us have a hard time understanding how this great devise works so please don't be afraid to post this kind of info. Maybe someone would like to tell us weekly about how some of the deeper parameters work that would be cool. I love to dig in and check things but sometimes I'm not sure what they really do. bah bah bah sorry just wishful thinking :geek

Nicely done - you saved me the effort of typing and posting almost exactly the same sort of approach.

Thumbs way up!! You nailed it!

Thanks Scott, I really appreciate the work done by yourself and the other heavy contributers on this forum as well as all of the efforts of the fractal team themselves. I am trying to give back, in a small way, and hope to do similar tutorials in the future.

I'm glad this has been helpful to others and well received.

Thanks a lot. This is very appreciated.

Is there anywhere a comprehensive description, in non-technical terms, of what these settings actually do and what would be their "Null" values?

Thanks man, running into you everywhere lately!

I know right! Seriously though, thanks for spending the time and effort on it. I'm still trying to tame this beast and am in learning/school mode so things like this are very important and helpful to me and I'm sure the rest of the community.

Great job and thanks!

If I could add anything it'd be to remember dynamics and motor drive are very interactive. Good idea to revisit one after touching the other and vice versa.

Patzag said:
Thanks a lot. This is very appreciated.

Is there anywhere a comprehensive description, in non-technical terms, of what these settings actually do and what would be their "Null" values?

You're very welcome and I'm glad it's been helpful.

As far as the 'Null' value is concerned, that would be zero value or zero percent. Fractal would need to confirm, but I believe this removes the algorithm (and hence the feature) from processing all together. (This would be akin to setting the Amp 'Sag' property to zero which bypasses the power amp processing all together allowing you to utilize a tube power section and use the Axe FX as a pre-amp.) I believe this reasoning is why Cliff and team set the 'Motor Drive' property to 0.25 so it would still be engaged, to give you the feel, but is low enough to stay out of everyone's way. My take anyway... The 'Default' parameters are 0.25 for Motor Drive as mentioned, 25% for Dynamics, and 3.09 for Speaker Drive. I believe these values are common across the amps at the release of FW 5.0.

As far as a non-technical description of what these setting do, I will take a shot at that tonight after work if no one has chimed in yet. This will be based upon information shared in release notes and Cliff's postings in earlier threads on the topic. I often check this forum at lunch as I'm doing now, but don't have to cycles to address this properly until after work.

UPDATE: This was answered very well by Java Junkie in the following thread:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/46673-knowledge-needed-5-0-parameters-dummies-lol.html

Hope it helps

Last edited:
You're very welcome and I'm glad it's been helpful.

As far as the 'Null' value is concerned, that would be zero value or zero percent. Fractal would need to confirm, but I believe this removes the algorithm (and hence the feature) from processing all together. (This would be akin to setting the Amp 'Sag' property to zero which bypasses the power amp processing all together allowing you to utilize a tube power section and use the Axe FX as a pre-amp.) I believe this reasoning is why Cliff and team set the 'Motor Drive' property to 0.25 so it would still be engaged, to give you the feel, but is low enough to stay out of everyone's way. My take anyway... The 'Default' parameters are 0.25 for Motor Drive as mentioned, 25% for Dynamics, and 3.09 for Speaker Drive. I believe these values are common across the amps at the release of FW 5.0.

As far as a non-technical description of what these setting do, I will take a shot at that tonight after work if no one has chimed in yet. This will be based upon information shared in release notes and Cliff's postings in earlier threads on the topic. I can check this at lunch, but don't have to cycles to address this properly until after work.

Hope it helps

Thanks Manny. Very much appreciated.
I put up a new post asking FAS about my two questions. We'll see if anything comes out of it. But in the meantime, this helps a lot.

Back
Top Bottom