First recording....what happened to my axe fx??

torkolort

Inspired
So, originally I was just going to post a small clip of the Master of Puppets preset in order to get some feedback regarding what's wrong. When I bought my axe fx in august and tried this preset, it sounded amazing. I have not done any changes to the preset but suddenly one day it sounded awful! So did many of the other presets. They have become more metallic and distant. But the MoP preset has the biggest difference from what it originally sounded like. Is this because of the V9 firmware or what?

Yes, I am a total newbie at this. Not just with the axe fx but with sound in general. I don't have the patience, I just want to plug in and play...(yeah probably a stupid idea to buy an axe fx with my lack of experience and patience, but I heard so many nice clips I just had to have one :D)

Anyway, instead of just playing a couple of chords, I recorded the whole song because I haven't played Metallica in a LONG time and it was fun to try........the preset actually sounds slightly better in the recording than when I play for some reason. But as you can hear, it sounds like the guitar is like 5 miles away. Oh, and I double tracked the rhythm. Don't laugh too hard :D

http://www.4shared.com/file/189528817/e ... ppets.html

Any suggestions to what happened to my presets? Thanks!

Sounds like it has the reverb mix is right up. It could be because of the changes to the reverb block in late v8 or v9. Do you have any means of posting the patch? I could have a look at the settings..... That patch and playing sounds really good though ;)

Did you accidentally bump the global reverb mix? Global button, fourth tab.

Tone is great, just very... distant. :D

It's the Master of Muppets factory preset totally unedited. The reverb block mix is at 100%...but it's always been and it never sounded that distant before. I don't know if the big difference came after v9, but it's almost like there's something very wrong with my axe fx...a lot of the factory presets that sounded decent before, sounds like crap and when I download patches from other users, it doesn't sound anywhere close to the sound they have...the global reverb mix is at 0%...maybe my cat has managed to do something terrible...she finds the flashing lights on the axe fx very amusing and she doesn't listen when I say NO :shock:

This happened to me after the v9 update. I believe I remedied the reverb issue by manually adjusting the reverb mix. Regardless of the reverb the preset still sounds bad IMO but I haven't had time to really dial it in again.

Did you try "UPDATE ALL PRESETS" in the utility/preset menu? I remembered to do that AFTER I had already tweaked the MOP patch so I don't know if it will help.

From the V9 release notes:

Reverb block has been reworked. Separate pre-delay and tail delay controls now
allow precise control over the delay of the initial reflections and tail
portions of the reverb. The reverb “tank” algortihm has been rewritten to
provide a more natural sound. The new reverb algorithm has also been ported to
the standard Axe-Fx.
The following parameter changes have been made to the reverb block:
- “Early Delay” parameter has been removed.
- “Pre Delay” now controls time to initial reflections and is adjustable
from 0 to 250 ms. Default value varies with type
- “Reverb Delay” sets the start of the decay portion of the reverb relative
to the initial reflections. Range is 0 to 250 ms. Default value varies
with type.
- “Echo Density” sets the density of the decay portion of the reverb. Range
is 2 to 8. Lower values result in a more sparse and coarse sounding tail.
Higher values give a smoother sound.
The Spring type has been removed and replaced with a “Cathedral” type. The
Vintage type has been renamed to Spring.
Fixed bug in Vintage (now Spring) reverb corrupting global vector.
***NOTE***: Presets created with firmware prior to 9.00 are incompatible with
the new algorithm so the reverb block is reset upon recall. The preset will
sound similar but many of the parameters will be reset by necessity. You should
audition your presets carefully after upgrading as unexpected changes can occur.

Did a search for "puppets" here. Turns out that the reverb mix for that preset is wrong in firmware 9.
Is 100% but should be 50%. Just adjust.

Yeah you're right...but when I change the mix to 50% it kinda sounds even worse. It's almost like it's a whole different preset. But I guess there is some more tweaking required other than just the mix.

Because of new parameters in V9, if you open a pre V9 preset the reverb will reset to it's initial default state.
This is the same as if you delete the Reverb block and then add it back in again the next day.
The new Reverb "default state" has nothing in common with the old Reverb that you deleted yesterday.
All parameters and options have changed.

If this is a Factory preset you can download the updated V9 Banks.
But even with that the Reverb will not be identical.
Best solution is to readjust the new Reverb to your liking.

;)

Back
Top Bottom