First morning

I switch speakers between a 2x12 but really should build a cab. A friend swears I would be better off with 1x12 cabs but I am partial to 2x12. His reasoning is the ease at which he can mic a 1x12 for recording but I stink so recording is not something I worry about. I like mixing up speakers. Except for the 1230 55 I put those in at the same time. I digress probably a subject for an entirely different thread but I just love speakers.

I switch speakers between a 2x12 but really should build a cab. A friend swears I would be better off with 1x12 cabs but I am partial to 2x12. His reasoning is the ease at which he can mic a 1x12 for recording but I stink so recording is not something I worry about. I like mixing up speakers. Except for the 1230 55 I put those in at the same time. I digress probably a subject for an entirely different thread but I just love speakers.
The typical mixed Friedman cab is pretty good sounding to me. If you can snag one of those used for a good price that would be a home run. They’re big and heavy though. I have the 4x12.

I generally build my own. I’m much better at woodworking and fixing things than playing but I don’t let that stop me from trying!
What's your preferred wood type for the cabinets? [Totally just curious as another person who appreciates (and dabbles with) the craft of woodworking/carpentry.]

What's your preferred wood type for the cabinets? [Totally just curious as another person who appreciates (and dabbles with) the craft of woodworking/carpentry.]
yea, actually I'd be curious about this too. Looking at a 4x12 project for this summer if I can find the time.

I have always used void free thirteen ply Baltic birch but I can’t find it any more. So I have tried standard Baltic birch which seemed to work fine. I am going to try some construction ply I have on hand for the heck of it and some pine and cherry I also have on hand. 3/4” is what I go for to try and keep the case sturdy and dead. I have used 5/8 which wasn’t an issue. I’ve used finge and butt joints with no apparent issues.

One other note I have an idea to change the way sound wave reflect inside but haven’t tried it yet. When I do and if it works I’ll share.

Last edited:
Here’s a question of curiosity, and I’m sure I’ll try but has anyone put their fx3 through a stereo amp? I have a 50watt class D stereo amp I run to some small Bose 301 from the early ‘90s. I wonder how that will sound. Yea I tend to experiment can’t learn from inaction.

Here’s a question of curiosity, and I’m sure I’ll try but has anyone put their fx3 through a stereo amp? I have a 50watt class D stereo amp I run to some small Bose 301 from the early ‘90s. I wonder how that will sound. Yea I tend to experiment can’t learn from inaction.
That should work, I use a stereo mixer and run the outs to a pair of powered speakers for our gigs. Big caveat - back a number of decades ago I tried running my guitar through a receiver and into 3 way speakers with 12's. The numbers looked good but I completely blew the midranges within an hour. So given the Bose speakers would definitely keep the volume low!

I have to disagree with that, Axe Edit is far easier to use for me. Tiny screen vs a HD monitor or laptop with a mouse and keyboard, is a no brainer. I'd only use the front panel interface if I absolutely had to.
My favorite has always been the blackness of every f’ing button against a black front panel — Said. Nobody. Ever.

(They DO make those button caps in different colors, ya know…)

Give me AxeEdit III every time for editing.

My favorite has always been the blackness of every f’ing button against a black front panel — Said. Nobody. Ever.

(They DO make those button caps in different colors, ya know…)

Give me AxeEdit III every time for editing.
I started out editing in the unit, because I didn't want to be helpless without a computer, like on a gig. That's how I learned, and I'm fine with it.

Lately I've been using AxeEdit more than I used to, but not because the basic editing environment is so much better. Thing is, there's stuff you can't do on the front panel, at all, like copy whole blocks, and use snapshots.

It's cool.

I started out editing in the unit, because I didn't want to be helpless without a computer, like on a gig. That's how I learned, and I'm fine with it.

Lately I've been using AxeEdit more than I used to, but not because the basic editing environment is so much better. Thing is, there's stuff you can't do on the front panel, at all, like copy whole blocks, and use snapshots.

It's cool.
As I have learned from this forum, the Performance pages on the front panel can make it so you can use Axe FX Edit for setting up your sounds and the front panel for adjusting things live. Did that for first time this past Friday at a 3 hr gig.

Back
Top Bottom