Firmware7 - Why it's not the same for me?

slash07

Inspired
After loading 7.0, to be honest, I find the stock medium-high gain patches a little noisy........I was so expectant after following threads in the last few weeks and clips posted by Cliff of really great sounds, but so far 6.02 has been far better for me. I felt like just loading back 6.02 and staying with it.

Maybe there's something I am missing cause everyone on the forum is gaga over this release and finds the new firmware awesome.

Setup is quite simple: Either a Gibson Les Paul or a Fender Strat (with YJM PUs) into the Axe, monitoring through headphones. No other connections.
I'm use axeEdit through a MacBook Pro. Which version I don't remember, but it was not showing the new amps I was supposed to find. Yes the upgrade was successful and the version got displayed through axeEdit, and I can find the amps in the unit. (What's the AxeEdit version I should have?)

I'll try more tonight, let's see if I can find what's wrong.
If anyone can set me up on what possible issues or settings I can look for, it may be a great help. Does anyone else for e.g. find the JVM-OD1 patch noisy stock as it is in version7?

I know this is a great unit. If only this noise with medium-high gain settings can go!:-x

After loading 7.0, to be honest, I find the stock medium-high gain patches a little noisy........I was so expectant after following threads in the last few weeks and clips posted by Cliff of really great sounds, but so far 6.02 has been far better for me. I felt like just loading back 6.02 and staying with it.

Maybe there's something I am missing cause everyone on the forum is gaga over this release and finds the new firmware awesome.

Setup is quite simple: Either a Gibson Les Paul or a Fender Strat (with YJM PUs) into the Axe, monitoring through headphones. No other connections.
I'm use axeEdit through a MacBook Pro. Which version I don't remember, but it was not showing the new amps I was supposed to find. Yes the upgrade was successful and the version got displayed through axeEdit, and I can find the amps in the unit. (What's the AxeEdit version I should have?)

I'll try more tonight, let's see if I can find what's wrong.
If anyone can set me up on what possible issues or settings I can look for, it may be a great help. Does anyone else for e.g. find the JVM-OD1 patch noisy stock as it is in version7?

I know this is a great unit. If only this noise with medium-high gain settings can go!:-x

Yes. Don't use the Axe-Edit and reset the amp type. Edit the settings from the AxeFX itself!

everyone on the forum is gaga over this release and finds the new firmware awesome.

Everyone on the forum is gaga over every release and finds every new firmware awesome. You'll get used to it!

The latest AxeEdit on the Fractal site is 317. But as Cliff says - best not to use AxeEdit right now. It has issues and is being worked on.

Did you select another amp and then reselect the amp you had in there to reset parameters. In my haste with the beta, I didn't do it and was bummed. Then yesterday reset amps on 3-4 of my patches and my jaw hasn't been closed since. I was 1/2 hour late to work today because I couldn't stop playing.

I like this. Thank you for pitching in, everyone. Let's see how it feels tonight (fingers crossed)

And I LOVE THIS :mrgreen-> "Then yesterday reset amps on 3-4 of my patches and my jaw hasn't been closed since."

For me - just selecting a different amp, and then switching back to the original amp doesn't reset any settings at all. Everything is exactly the same. To truly reset an amp on my box, I need to double click the "bypass" button on the front panel to reset the amp.

I agree with slash07. I installed the firmware twice just to make sure it was correct. Most amps seem flubbier to me. I say this with much respect for Cliff and everything he gives us!

The amp sims seemed to be getting tighter/clearer up until V6.--, and with V7 it seems my tones took a step backwards in terms of "mush" and "darkness". I'd love to agree with the "more string definition" and "clearer' comments that I've been reading.

Now hearing that there's a problem with Axe edit gives me a little hope. I don't know if it's the source of my problems because I haven't really been saving any settings, just auditioning different amps and adjusting as I normally would.

Anyway, I was really impressed with the advances in the previous release, but not much with V7 yet. I of course appreciate the continuous efforts and updates from Cliff!!

Just confirming and offering some support for slash07's experience so far.

For me - just selecting a different amp, and then switching back to the original amp doesn't reset any settings at all. Everything is exactly the same. To truly reset an amp on my box, I need to double click the "bypass" button on the front panel to reset the amp.

Same for me. I haven't tried the bypass yet though. But I've been wondering about this amp reset everyone's talking about because dialing off the amp and then going back never changes anything for me. Neither does using the FX Bypass on the amp block. I'll have to try the Bypass button tonight.
-
Austin

same here, never worked like this for me.

Me Too.....

I thought that this just reset the advanced stuff and left tone and volume knobs where they are. If what you are saying is true then the advanced parameters would stay the same for all amps as you scroll through?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I thought that this just reset the advanced stuff and left tone and volume knobs where they are. If what you are saying is true then the advanced parameters would stay the same for all amps as you scroll through?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

That's what I thought also. I definitely hear a change (for the better) when I reset the amp. None of the basic controls change but the sound does.

After loading 7.0, to be honest, I find the stock medium-high gain patches a little noisy!
I noticed the same thing after loading 7.0. There was significant hiss on the high-gain patches, and my Axe-FX went microphonic—tap on the front panel, and listen to the metal ring. Tap on the rack case, and listen to the "tap tone" change depending on where you tapped. After a few minutes, both problems fixed themselves. I'm not sure what, if anything, I did that fixed it. All I do know is that I didn't cycle the power between "tap on" and "tap off."

I noticed the same thing after loading 7.0. There was significant hiss on the high-gain patches, and my Axe-FX went microphonic—tap on the front panel, and listen to the metal ring. Tap on the rack case, and listen to the "tap tone" change depending on where you tapped. After a few minutes, both problems fixed themselves. I'm not sure what, if anything, I did that fixed it. All I do know is that I didn't cycle the power between "tap on" and "tap off."

Perhaps you might have had some loose guitar/output cable(s)?
In my case, I don't know what to say........I had so much expectation going on for 7.0........I tried last night again but was not far from my prior experience with 7.0, which means noise with med-high gain patches and flubby sounding amps. I just hope this is some patch issue which can be resolved soon. This, without even connecting to AxeEdit.

Then, I connected back to AxeEdit, loaded back 6.02, bringing me back to more familiar ground.
Then after some time of playing with the AxeEdit connected, my unit froze once. I reset it and it continued working.
Then after some more time, it froze again with a blank screen this time! I reset it and it continued working again.
I am scared because I came across posts where the unit had to be sent back for support in certain cases where it failed to recover!
For such an expensive product like this it is not expected that we hope and pray to the almighty with our hearts in our mouths that this unit continues working seamlessly should you run into this issue and reset it!
IMO, this is a MUST-FIX critical issue, which if I might request Fractal can prioritize and get out as soon as possible. This is far more important than any other feature improvement or enhancement. It will definitely help a lot of users!
Sorry if this sounded harsh, but this is the plain truth.

I agree with slash07. I installed the firmware twice just to make sure it was correct. Most amps seem flubbier to me. I say this with much respect for Cliff and everything he gives us!

The amp sims seemed to be getting tighter/clearer up until V6.--, and with V7 it seems my tones took a step backwards in terms of "mush" and "darkness". I'd love to agree with the "more string definition" and "clearer' comments that I've been reading.

Setting the dynamics and transformer match somewhere left of 12:00 really clears things up.

That's what I thought also. I definitely hear a change (for the better) when I reset the amp. None of the basic controls change but the sound does.

If you reset the TYPE by changing it to another amp and changing it back it changes all of the ADVANCED amp parameters but not the basic knobs on the front panel.

If you double click bypass to reset the whole block it resets EVERYTHING but leaves the TYPE value unchanged.

I've been removing gain and bass to get my previous presets sounding normal with 7. Also the damp and depth have to come down a bit to mimic 6.02. On my cabs I'm raising my bass cut about 10hz as well, so if it was 90 I'll push it up to 100.

It's a time consuming PIA, but does sound and act more like a real amplifier, including additional noise like a real amp.

Back
Top Bottom