Firmware Updates

jshirkey

Experienced
When FW updates are announced/posted, is there a way to get notification by email? Or is the best way to learn about them to visit the forum or the FA home page?

Thanks,
Jeff

That's another option, but I was wondering if there was a way to become aware of updates if I was away from the unit--by email notification. But your suggestion is prob. best for me. I'm not on the forum often enough to be aware of updates.

FX8-Edit notifies you when there is a FX8-Edit update, not firmware updates. Firmware updates are posted here on the forum, and on fractaaudio.com.

Would it be possible to post firmware updates to the same thread each time, that way people could watch the thread and get an email notification of new postings. Lock the thread and only make announcements in the thread with a link to a new thread for that firmware version. The same could be done for all products.

Just a 'thinking outside the box' thought. :)

I think they'll probably start a new thread for v3.

Every time FAS has announces a new firmware release, they start a new pinned thread, which means you would have to check the forum or 'check for updates' in the edit software to know about it. The proposal I suggested would create one pinned and locked thread to make announcements only, with links to the specific thread, then you could 'watch' the announcement thread and subscribe to email updates once and get all future updates via email.

Example;

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-quantum-rev-1-05-firmware-release.107159/

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-quantum-rev-1-06-firmware-release.107827/

Last edited:
The easiest way to do this is to come to the forum in the evening and click on "new posts". If there is a new firmware it typically has the most traffic and is going to be within the top ten threads.

Every time FAS has announced new firmware release, they started a new pinned thread, which means you would have to check the forum or 'check for updates' in the edit software to know about it. The proposal I suggested would create one pinned and locked thread to make announcements only, then you could watch the thread and subscribe to email updates.

Example;

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-quantum-rev-1-05-firmware-release.107159/

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-quantum-rev-1-06-firmware-release.107827/

That was my point ;)

The easiest way to do this is to come to the forum in the evening and click on "new posts". If there is a new firmware it typically has the most traffic and is going to be within the top ten threads.

That still requires visiting the forum and doing some work.

A single thread with links to updates that owners could subscribe to would certainly be the easiest solution IMO.

Ah, I see what you mean. What about, instead of that, a nice email blast to all users of FX8, AX8, etc. That would solve problems too!

My solution was in response to the comment by @jshirkey.

"but I was wondering if there was a way to become aware of updates if I was away from the unit--by email notification."

Ah, I see what you mean. What about, instead of that, a nice email blast to all users of FX8, AX8, etc. That would solve problems too!
Wellllll. .. the only problem I see with that is that it would require people to opt into it. And a system to opt out.

Of course anything is better than nothing. ☺

Having a system for email management subscription management is pretty easy to get your hands on (open source), I bet they already have one working, or could get one up quickly.

Yes it does, and putting a little effort into success, is never a bad thing.

Suuuure... but theres no benefit to customers to simply work for work's sake; making things easy makes most people happy. Plus on top of that the easier it is the less official support is needed.

Current software releases, including firmware are always available on the web site..

Assuming you know they're avaliable. Asking people to check the website frequently is a recipe for frustrated customers, because if they check and check and check and there's no updates they can become annoyed at the lack of progress.

Make things simple and transparent and you'll have happy customers and save money.

Suuuure... but theres no benefit to customers to simply work for work's sake; making things easy makes most people happy. Plus on top of that the easier it is the less official support is needed.

Assuming you know they're avaliable. Asking people to check the website frequently is a recipe for frustrated customers, because if they check and check and check and there's no updates they can become annoyed at the lack of progress.

Make things simple and transparent and you'll have happy customers and save money.

This. Most people can't be bothered with forums and websites. So forum watching is for the hardcore folks only. In this auto-update world, people expect more from providers to notify them of changes and updates. I think an email is cheapest and easiest.

I guess we'll disagree on the level of effort involved on checking a website, then. No-one is "asking" you to check a website... there is NO "need" to upgrade the firmware once you have bought a unit.. the upgrade choice is yours, and yours alone. That Cliff continues to provide FREE upgrades for firmware is awesome. Compare that to most other vendors models and #crickets.. In fact, I'm still waiting for a promised L6 upgrade from about 7 yrs ago...
If you want to upgrade.. check on it. If you miss the release by a day or even a month, so what? You've lost nothing.
"Make things simple and transparent and you'll have happy customers and save money"
It's not costing FAS anything under their current model.. so THEY are NOT saving anything by maintaining an email notification list. You might be saving a little elbow grease, but not wanting to put effort into doing something seems typical of today's entitlement philosophy. Mail room on Mon, CEO by Friday.

NOTE: The above is a personal viewpoint and not a formal FAS nor forum moderator position.

Back
Top Bottom