Firmware updates...blessing or curse?

Blessing!
It's easy to roll back if you save your work after having the fun of experimenting. I rolled back to FW 2.02 for quite a while and then bang, the updates started getting stellar for my needs! Cliff has been on a role for quite some time now and every update has been an exciting improvement but if there are any snags, I can always role back! Cliff is really in the zone and anything he comes up with will be fun, amazing and appreciated!

IMHO FW 17 being the pinnacle of G2 amp molding (although nowhere as real as now) had some fantastic 'unreal' sounds. I would never go back but it would be cool to have one extra FW available for instant and seamless use on some presets (maybe in a future Axe Fx)!

The main point is that if you think it's a curse because you may have to retweak.....don't update!!!

Seriously, the updates aren't forced onto your deceive via an automatic update; if that were the case, then threads like is would make sense. Since the power to update rests solely on the user, don't update if you think it's not worth the hassle

One time, I waited like a year and a half for Line 6 to put out either a bug fix, or update. I would have been happy with either. They outright promised they would fix the bugs, and that they were currently working on it, and then one day there was an announcement that they were no longer supporting my product, with no update, or bug fix.

If I had to choose an extreme, I'd take "too many updates" all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One time, I waited like a year and a half for Line 6 to put out either a bug fix, or update.

Exactly. If you go to the Line 6 forum there are POD HD users screaming for an update. It took years before Line 6 released something for the HD series.
Then you come over here and people are complaining there are too many updates!?!? Just proves you can't keep everyone happy.

I would mention I only screen capped my favorite amp settings and cab blocks and I did save to library naming them to which tune or artist or my own sound
I was dialing in..

I took bank c and filled it up with 128 different presets or patches I made up using different amps
to just be able to go through tweak them as I was going along and save too library as I went through 128 amps.

Thats 640 scenes to check so book a weekend if you want to check out for awhile
I spent a solid week from 8 am to 2am every night going through those and getting them finalized
this was before 19....

My main reason for that was to cherry pick the best sounding amps and drive blocks cabs speakers ect and
save them in the library and cull out what I would not use..
Moving the keepers in a row organized for say 3 sets worth of music be it cover tunes or what ever..

Screen capping the amp and cab blocks paid off for me on some specific amp sounds I had
as the more I tried to dial them right back where I had them the worse I made it.
On those examples I pulled the screen caps and was able to get back where I was.

When I did that I Re saved in library and backed up again.

It paid off for me as I had some specific amps one being a Jimmy Page amp
which really gave me fits and the other a Blackmore amp.

I got in and tried to redial things in without reference and got really lost on the Page amp
also I had dialed up an ODSR which Id tweaked for days and that changed in 19
and I really goofed that up but managed to get back using the screen caps..

My buddy is trying to break me of that and just dial up some sounds maybe 3 or 4 basic sounds and
just play...

I was trying to cull 128 amps down to say 20 maybe and be able to cover many styles of music.
I know many of those amps were dialed in to sound great already but some minor things changed and its all good
it will sound much better with Quantum not looking back too much still trying to rely on my ears..

We discussed ear fatigue and taking breaks in between doing that..
stop dial in an amp jam awhile or take a break get away from it and come back too it following day
and listen again that was excellent advice ..

I have to chop at the tree bits at a time or I start to dread and you dont want to burn out or dread the process
I did that to myself trying to do too much at once..

Okay - so, I say this with all the love in the world... back away from the AxeFx panel.... back away from the panel. :) Sounds really OCD to me, which is a direction I'm familiar with. It also sounds like our OP is in a similar boat and looking for an easy way out.

I think there are guys who will spend a lot of time looking for a sound in their head which matches up to a specific amp and then having the knobs set to specific locations on the dials and then having just the right stomp boxes hooked up in the right order set to the perfect settings. And it takes them a looooong time to get this just the way they want it. Then you buy the AxeFx and you can do this with 128 different amps. Seems like the perfect recipe for wasting time.

Decided if it's more fun tweaking or playing and adjust accordingly. When you have everything setup the way you want it, write it all down any way you want. When you upgrade, update 2 or 3 of the amps you love most so you don't feel like it's 10 days "just to get back where you were". None of these default setups sound bad, perhaps just not to your taste. So adjust them as you get to them. At the rate things are going, you might enjoy playing a few amps so much, there is a new firmware out before you get around to playing a new amp setting.

For those folks playing gigs and looking for specific sounds they need - it seems to be the best option to not update until you feel you have the time to test it out and roll back if you have to or go whole hog and get the 2nd unit that is your 'fun' unit to update all the time.

The fact is there are so many options within the Axe that it's just unrealistic to try and maintain too large a collection of heavily modified presets AND update the firmware frequently.

Thus - OP - my advice to you is to a) not update so you don't have to tweak or b) reduce the amount of presets that you tweak (i.e. tweak them when you use them).

The Axe's greatest feature is far and away it's capability to change it's sound quality significantly in a matter of minutes. You can jump to any of 20 firmwares and alter the sound of the device quite a bit.

Good luck. Hope you can find a balance which enables you to enjoy the unit and your music :)

I'm trying to understand why a firmware update isn't worth the time to re tweak a patch or 2 If it's even needed ? On most other guitar boxes people would kill for a mention from the makers on an update, and then have to wait months to see one. And they can never speak with the one doing the programming, only the "experts" who are told what they can repeat. So I just don't get the "I hate updates cause I have to do something then " crowd. In other words, if the update makes the tone better why wouldn't u want that, no matter how long it took you to tweak it? Or is it the vast majority of settings that you can't get your head around and all you need is an "on" "off" switch? Either way, please stop deciding for the rest of us when the updates should be released because it might require some effort on your end. Thanks. ;)

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand why a firmware update isn't worth the time to re tweak a patch or 2 If it's even needed ?

I guess that depends what a "tweak" means and how many patches are involved. If we assume a tweak takes 2 minutes and there are 100 patches involved that's close to a 3 hour commitment. If the tweak takes 5 minutes per patch that becomes a working day invested.

On the other hand tweaking a single amp may take 3 hours and you may still not be happy.

I'm not the first guy, but I know we have people on the forum that use a large number of presets. They're the ones who can tell me if my assumptions are correct or not.

I AM the second guy. I didn't like my Marshall lead tone when I moved to FW 19 and my other tones took more time than normal to rework. Eventually I used a drive block for my Marshall lead and that was better, but I still wasn't happy. In part because of that, and in part because I had an important gig coming up, I chose not to go to FW20 beta. That's the first time I've skipped a production or beta upgrade. Honestly, I was a little "upgrade fatigued" as well.

However. . . I did try Quantum beta, given the strong response it was getting. Indeed, it was enough of an improvement to warrant more effort, and so I reworked my patches again. The investment required was easily 8 to 12 hours. In part that's because I re-crafted my IR's AND my amps. Now I use a TripTik Classic for Marshall style lead tones and a different marshall sim for crunch tones. There were other changes as well.

Yes, my tones are markedly better (scary good now!), but it took more than a tweak.

Just offering a different perspective. I'm grateful that we have continuous improvement. Just keep in mind that the commitment required to stay current varies from person to person. It really depends on their situation

Terry.

Next time you think it's a pain to tweak your presets, think of how much of a pain it is for Cliff & Crew to update the software, then to have to deal with the fallout. Just can't win.

I'm willing to bet they put just a tiny bit more effort into making it right for everyone, than it takes us to tweak our patches.

And once again...... it's FREE, and you don't have to update, if you don't wish to.

I don't get the quandary here - you don't want to update, don't. Simple. Everything will still work fine, just like you had it before. There will be no change, for better or worse, and life will go on just like it was before the update. If change is an issue, don't change.

For those of us always looking for bigger, better, faster, stronger, louder.... well, let's just say there can NEVER be too many updates.

Kinda feels like complaining that after marrying a beautiful girl she's become even more beautiful as time goes by. All kidding aside and with all respect, I really don't get posts like this one, if you don't want to update to the next FW, than don't. You do have a choice. I for one call it nothing short of incredible how much an already marvellous product I once purchased improved over a period of time without costing me a dime. So I'm definitely ticking the box "blessing" on this one.

I think updating can be detrimental as it messes with your presets A LOT, what I usually do is wait till I'm on vacation or not playing live and then update, That way i know I have time to create presets again :)

PS: Creating a preset is really fun when time is your friend

Blessing. DEFINITELY blessing.

I don't update with every firmware release, but I'm DAMNED glad to have so many choices and options.

Others have already pointed out...most mfr's release a product, and then MIGHT release a bug fix firmware update once-in-a-blue-moon, if ever. Cliff and team are dedicated to this being the last piece of gear you ever need. FACT, BANK on it.

Back
Top Bottom