Firmware updates...blessing or curse?

You do like I did and buy a second unit and keep it set up the way you like it and do new updates and tweaking on the other unit. Works for me. If you don't want to buy another Axe just try the firmware and then if it doesn't please you then revert back. Simple. Hope this helps.

Cool approach...never thought about this...makes absolutely sense !!! But how do you deal with the MK2 and XL and XL+? So I will need 3 for each FW update ;-)

i have NEVER, not even once, had drastic changes to presets. outside of having to retweak levels after the G3ing of drives due to the higher levels, that's really about it. definitely a blessing to me.

thanks for your comment, chris...but this does not answer my question...

I gather from your reply that you rebuild presets from the scrap after a firmware update, am I correct ?

no, this is what i said:

Quantum FW 1 PB required no tweaking of EQ, just level adjustment, for me. For the past few major releases, the only thing to do was reset the amp (select another amp then go back) and make minor adjustments to basic controls.

question: are you READING about others saying they spend hours tweaking after an update and is that influencing you to also spend hours?

again, a change in firmware means things will be different. but there really hasn't been the requirement of hours of adjusting after a firmware update. don't believe everything you read. use your own ears.

Cool approach...never thought about this...makes absolutely sense !!! But how do you deal with the MK2 and XL and XL+? So I will need 3 for each FW update ;-)

That makes no sense to me. I have the first Axe Fx and I have the Mark II. You download the issued firmware for which ever Axe you have and that's it. You don't need an Axe Fx for each version so you can update all three.

LOL, can Cliff Please make a "Newb SEction" and then we can move all these Newb Posts like this one, that make 0 sense to that section, Pretty please Cliff:)

First there are a lot of settings so it seems a tremendous amount of work to try and screenshot and document the lot. At least it does to me.

Instead, what I did a long time ago, is to understand the basic controls and maybe a few advanced controls. With this knowledge, you can update firmware without fear because you can use the basic controls to tweak the sound as you prefer if you hear a change.

But don't let the fear on the forum get the best of you, backup your presets and give it a go yourself. It really isn't a big deal for most updates.

The biggest pain in the arse for me is to redo my controller assignments. I use an alternate foot controller and I always do a system reset after firmware updates. The system reset wipes my controller mappings and I have to redo those. This is made a little easier because of "learn" mode, but still a manual step for me.

Here is a suggestion per the original question. This may be too much for most, but I maintain a spreadsheet of amp model parameters for many (not all) of the major firmware updates. I just add a new column for firmware versions (column headings are v15, 16, etc) and add new parameters in rows and color deleted ones red and green as added (in the column of the version when the parameter was added or deleted). Then I can see the evolution of the parameters and see my older settings for each parameter.

This is helpful when you want to do a serious upgrade and build your core amp model from scratch with new firmware. I don't do this all the time, but am doing it with Quantum. I choose the amp model I use most often but with factory settings. I listen to it and see if I like it. It's usually about the same as before (e.g, AC-30 model has too much treble and brightness - ice picky). So I go to my spreadsheet and I enter the value for one parameter in my last model from the spreadsheet and listen again. I also always turn the parameter knob each way in full to understand what it does for the tone. I keep going and make slight adjustments as I go if necessary.

In the last few updates (since about v16 or so), I've noticed that I end up pretty much on the same parameter settings. But for new additions (e.g., dephase), I have to spend some time and determine if it's helping or not for my particular preset.

I'm doing this now for Quantum. Then to test my ears, I loaded v19 in my second Axe (both are XLs) and compared them. Frankly, not much difference as far as I can tell, likely because I'm dialing in the same tone that I'm looking for, or I don't yet understand how to use the new Quantum parameters. Pls don't assume I'm saying it's not better. Just saying I don't know yet, or don't have the ear or experience to bring out the "better" tone.

My conclusion/opinion: I'm sure there are improvements of some sort in every firmware update. I know this because the current version of the Axe (XL with Quantum) is leaps and bounds more "clear, crisp, better, natural, etc etc" then the Axe Ultra. Cliff as definitely made big improvements. However, I do believe that the improvements from firmware to firmware are subtle. I like to keep up the updates and appreciate all updates (and betas), but I also believe we are all biased to think the next version is going to be better than it really is. Our brain/ears are already biased as soon as we are told that the next version is "better." So we want to hear better. The only true test is in a blind study. What if we had multiple versions released at once (one new, one the same and one old) and no one knew which was which and Fractal made no comments on whether they thought any of them were better or not? Then everyone would listen to all three (yes, I know, impractical) and determine if they could hear a difference. I probably would have a difficult time saying one is much better than another. A true blind study is really needed to determine what the incremental difference is. Don't get me wrong, I believe there are improvements, but I can't always claim to hear them. My brain biases me because I assume the next version must be better. My ears may also not be as good as someone else's. Over many firmware versions, I have been happy. But don't let the releases and comments make you think you are missing out on something huge. You may be over time, but my opinion is you are not missing out on so much that you have to update presets all the time. Maybe a few people like Cliff can hear it, but I don't think most people can (and your audience even less so). So my suggestion is to do a major preset update every few versions.

As for some thoughts on blind tests, myths and biases, see these videos (they helped me not get too excited about ever single release):

I do appreciate all the firmware upgrades and I have no doubt Quantum is the best yet, but I am still very happy with v19 and previous releases.

Last edited:
No tweaking on my site with Quantum - it just sounds more huge and big - I love it. In the Recording section is a clip with my favorit 100W SLP Jump and Quantum. Sounds just awesome....:eagerness:

Guys, the man is asking a good question. Of course there are changes. If there were none, then you would not need to update/upgrade ever.

To the OP: I have some templates that I use. These rarely change because the template involves routing and effects. When I find a reverb I like, I save the BLOCK in my block library. Same with rotary, chorus,etc. I can then load these up as part of my presets. Most of the firmwares these days don't change the effects.

As far as the amp goes, I usually reset the amp block and go at it with a fresh ear. Sometimes I even change which amp I use.

For the presets that have to be as identical as possible as the preset before upgrade, my best practice has been to record a snipet with a DAW including the raw guitar data and then match this with the new firmware. But I only did this twice on the context of a recording project. As I do mainly live playing, I don't care about sounding the same as yesterday, I just try to sound better than the day before! :)

That being said, the changes over the last few presets have been less drastic and more refined. I still had to tweak certain amps, especially gain structure, but mostly, my presets were quite usable. Some just became simply awesome without having to do anything.

As a Beta tester, I try to check any other changes in behavior. Push the setting to extremes, try unconventional combinations, etc. to identify bugs. These days, it's hard to find some. The coding is obviously thought through very thoroughly and Cliff is doing an amazing job of keeping the envelope stretched far past what we thought would ever be accomplished, while remaining true to the performers so we don't have to re-invent the wheel every time.

Hope this helps.

I think it's a blessing to learn what it is about tone you like and how to get it out of your current setup. Upgrade FW when GAS kicks in.

When I update I record a short clip of 4 patches, clean, grit, crunch and lead. I record my current version and the upgrade version and compare the two. That gives me an idea as to what's changed and what adjustments I might have to make. Based on that I decide if I want to upgrade.

I record the sets I play, with my guitar on a separate track. I use that to dial up sounds with the new firmware. This is often just a change in bass, middle and treble, but in some cases more is required. For example, in FW 19 I discovered that my Plexi 100 tones were still great for rhythm but I no longer liked my lead tone. I ended up adding a drive block instead of cranking the amp. That took a bit to sort out so I decided not to try the FW20 beta. However, I really liked what the Quantum beta 1 was doing so I jumped into that.

With Quantum I decided to revisit speaker IR choices and work up my basic tones again. I used existing presets but ended up switching to a 1959SLP Jump for plexi rhythm tones. I had to push the lower mids a bit in the amp's EQ but I ended up with the best Plexi rhythm tone I've ever had. The new Ownhammer PR25 collection was a big part of that. For Plexi type leads I switched to a TripTik Classic model. I really hope that the final release of Quantum 1.0 requires little, if any change.

Hope this helps. Working out an approach / methodology to handle upgrades, and developing a good workflow, are important and worthwhile investments IMHO. I'm glad you asked about this.

Terry.

I think Cliff needs to rethink this beta process, I know its great having it open to everyone but truythfully some people should not be using early betas because they dont really understand what beta means! Now how to go about fixing this is another thing that would take some thought but there must be a better way? A private beta once again and a NDA while beta testing? A private beta forum for discussions? Its a tough one.

I think Cliff needs to rethink this beta process, I know its great having it open to everyone but truythfully some people should not be using early betas because they dont really understand what beta means! Now how to go about fixing this is another thing that would take some thought but there must be a better way? A private beta once again and a NDA while beta testing? A private beta forum for discussions? Its a tough one.

What the OP asks applies equally to a regular public release and to a beta release. "How can I elegantly transition from what I have to the new version?" is an important question, even more so given the number of updates that come along.

Terry.

I think you posted in the wrong thread, OP never mentioned anything about betas... But while you are on the subject, Cliff makes it clear at the point of download that... "The firmware is 1.00 PB1 (Public Beta 1). It may have bugs. It may mess with the sound of your presets. It may cause a singularity around your guitar causing you to get sucked into a parallel universe where time flows backwards and cats rule the world. Fractal Audio cannot be held responsible for any marital issues that may arise due to the use of this product.
There are no release notes at this time. Treat this like you've just opened the box and plugged in."

...I think it's fair to say that anybody capable of gathering the couple of grand necessary to buy an AxeFX in the first place, can decipher from this that it may not all be plain sailing ahead!?!

Unfortunate / disingenuous thread title OP?? It's reasonable to ask for efficiency tips - but surely you've been around here long enough now to know that FW updates have been an absolute 'blessing' overall?

Last edited:

I hear you, but I prefer transparency. The more, the better. And then each person can choose what they want to do. Caveat emptor is the best form of governance. In the end, Fractal has the right to do what they want and when they want to do it. The net benefit to us over time has been huge! Those that don't like the way Fractal works have other alternatives. Over time competition of product and business models results in multiple alternatives and better products.

Back
Top Bottom