Firmware update using Axe Edit?

bluesmostly

Inspired
Got my AXE II about 3 weeks ago (have had the Standard since 07) and after spending some time learning how to use it and putting together some patches I am ready to get the latest firmware, 5.04. It has 4.01 right now.

Is there a step by step tutorial for how to do this on the wiki page or here. I have always used the Midi-Ox gig on the Standard, with much frustration I might add. Now I have a new computer and I can't get it to work with Midi-Ox and I am not at all good with this kind of stuff. So, I figured I would try using Axe Edit.

I have loaded the Axe Edit program, and I have got the Axe II plugged into the computer - what now?

Who knows, if I can get the Axe II to communicate with my computer thru the Axe Edit, I might even start using the program to edit, and download some of those cool presets that you guys are posting out there. That would be cool!

thanks!

Download the firmware update, expand the zip file if necessary, and remember where you put it.

In AxeEdit, click on Settings-Update Firmware and follow the prompts.

Thank LMO, I got that far but in the top left corner of the Axe Edit window it says: Axe Edit - status - not connected. I have the USB plugged into the computer but I don't know how to get it to interface with my computer.

You may have to download the drivers for your computer depending on what operating system you have. These can be found @ Fractals website on the support page. You also have to enable the USB on the Axe FX II (I/O > Midi > Enable USB)

Yup, you need to install the drivers. Also, go to Settings/Midi Settings... and set the MIDI Input: and Output values.

after installing the drivers a window came up that claimed: "device driver software not successfully installed", "please consult your device manufacturer..." then: Axe Fx II - failed
Axe Fx II audio - ready to use

also, when I tried to do the: Settings/Midi Settings... and set the MIDI Input: and Output values, on the Axe Editor, it only had 'none' as an option as far as I could tell...

I am seriously retarded when it comes to this stuff, it is all foreign to me. seriously, no amount of 'obvious' info is inappropriate to get me up and running. thanks again guys.

My guess is that you let Windows install a USB driver for the Axe before attempting to install the correct drivers. You need to disconnect the Axe, go into device manager, and see if the AxeFx is listed. If it is, uninstall it, then install the correct drivers before reconnecting the AxeFx.

TO add.. if MS pops up any "find USB drivers for ..." boxes, ignore them or hit the cancel button. You have to install the FAS USB drivers. When installed correctly you will a) see a FAS icon in the system tray and b) be able to select from port setup in AxeEdit.

Yoohooo! it worked. 3rd time installing the drivers took, I have no idea why. thanks alot guys! Can't wait to try out the new firmware with my presets.

Now... how do I use Axe Edit to pluck presets from other users and download them onto my Axe?

Yoohooo! it worked. 3rd time installing the drivers took, I have no idea why. thanks alot guys! Can't wait to try out the new firmware with my presets.

Now... how do I use Axe Edit to pluck presets from other users and download them onto my Axe?

Download files from here. I generally like to store them all in the same folder. When everything is connected and shows up in Axe-edit, change the source to "Preset folder". This lets you scroll through and initialize the different presents in that folder.

Back
Top Bottom