Bug? Firmware 9 beta update failed

tohmy

Inspired
I posted this in the update thread but I thought I`d report it as a bug since I`ve done 5-6 firmware updates with the same setup and this is the first time something has gone wrong.

Routing: PC (win7 x64) -> Axe Edit ->USB -> Axe FX II

Axe Edit gave me the confirmation that the update was successful and told me to watch for further instructions from the AxeFX.
The display then looked like this: IMG_3363.jpg and the unit started to produce some strange noises. I then turned of my poweramp to protect my speakers.
Then nothing happened and the display stayed the same. After a while I tried rebooting the unit and leaving it for a while without power. No Luck.
Every time I reboot the number of LED`s lighting up are a bit different and when connected to a PC it shows up in the USB driver control panel and I hear the USB Connected/Disconnected sound.

I have written G66, but its been almost 24h with no reply. Will write another email now.

Cheers,
Tommy

This is the first time I had problems with updating, posted this in the v. 9 beta thread, too. I tried 5 or 6 times to update to no avail using AE and then Midi-Ox, re-downloaded the update file, uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, no luck. The update process took way longer as usual, more than 20 minutes. Nobody replied to my post in the beta thread, so I tried one last time and held down the recall button while powering up the Axe. Again it took twenty minutes for the file transfer, but this time the update was successful. Don't know if this is related to what Tommy wrote, but I thought I should post it here anyway.

- Hans

Not a bug and most probably unrelated to the process of updating the firmware.

It's a hardware failure and you'll need to send it in for repair. G66 will help you quickly.

They usually are even quicker but I guess there were good reasons for the delay.

Anyway, if it's just the eprom consider yourself lucky as you don't have to send your unit then.
There have been a few other reports with the same behaviour (blank screen, all LEDs on, strange sounds), myself included, where the mainboard got faulty and had to be changed.

I remember that there was something about power conditioners, but don't know how the story went on. I can see one on the pic. Is there something about the use of power conditioners while updating?

So just to round of this thread I thought I`d sum up how the problem got solved.

I contacted G66 and Sussi told me that the update process probably got interrupted and that I needed an EPROM emergency Kit. This was late Friday night and on the following Monday the envelope containing the EPROM chip and a two pin jumper arrived.
Then all I had to do was to follow these very simple instructions:

NOTE: Be sure to disconnect power before performing any procedures
inside the unit. A static-safe environment must be observed. Always
ground yourself prior to touching any internal components.

1. Remove the screws holding the cover. Lift the cover slowly and note
the fan wires running from the cover to the motherboard.

2. Disconnect the fan wireconnector noting the location of the connector.

3. Locate the enclosed EPROM. Install
the EPROM in the empty socket in the
motherboard noting the orientation of the
EPROM. The socket will have an indexed
corner. Be sure to install the EPROM so
that the indeces align.

4. Locate the enclosed 2-pin jumper.
Place the jumper over the FLASH BOOT
header J26.

5. Connect the power and turn the unit on. The unit should automatically
show the firmware update screen.

6. Install the latest firmware by following the instructions in the firmware.txt
file.
NOTE: The backup EPROM only supports firmware loading via MIDI. USB
is not supported.

7. Once the firmware update is complete, power the unitoff and disconnect
the power.

8. Remove the 2-pin jumper from J26. The EPROM can be left in the
socket.

9. Reconnect power and turn the unit on and makesure it boots properly.
Turn power off and disconnect power.

10. Plug the fan connector into the fan header and reinstall the cover.
Make sure to orient the cover so that the fan is over the heatsinks.

All in all the whole thing took about 45 minutes, mostly because loading the Firmware via MIDI is slow.
Sussi told me that this happens very seldom if the update process is somehow disrupted and that if it should happen again I can use the same EPROM.
Very pleased that it was a "quick" fix and that I now have the tools to repair it myself should something happen in the future. Once again G66 came through and might deserve a christmascard this year:)

Back
Top Bottom